Rico Henry

Rico Henry

I don’t think he did much wrong or was seriously off the pace. To me he looked comfortable in defence but just not so fluid in attack. Not much different to the Rico I recognise from before his injuries. He is understandably a bit rusty after so long out but I’ve every confidence he’ll be just as good - if not better - than before.
 

Rico Henry

He’s had a few rusty performances but didn’t think today was one of them. Got up and down well, looked to have his usual pre injury pace too. Only criticism would be his crosses getting blocked every time, but his attacking end product was never really his strong point and probably the reason he never played for England. He’ll be good after a full pre season I’m sure of it.
 

Rico Henry

Rico hasn't and never has had an end product with the ball. He is pacey and willing, but we can't expect him to be as good on the ball as KLP.
Although KLP struggled with Traore, 9 times out of 10 he gets in before Rico.
 

Rico Henry

Rico hasn't and never has had an end product with the ball. He is pacey and willing, but we can't expect him to be as good on the ball as KLP.
Although KLP struggled with Traore, 9 times out of 10 he gets in before Rico.
I was thinking this. Had Rico been fully match fit he should surely have started against Traore, and against Elanga at Forest.
 

Rico Henry

I was thinking this. Had Rico been fully match fit he should surely have started against Traore, and against Elanga at Forest.
The problem is that lack of end product really stands out. I think we could revert to a “be hard to get anything out of for 60 mins then go for it” strategy which would have us start with Rico but I’m not sure that’s the direction TF would like us to evolve in as we’ve worked very hard on becoming an attacking menace. Maybe it would be part of adjusting to being a team without Mbeumo and Wissa. But we’d still be needing players to get crosses in to Thiago and Schade even if we weren’t looking for so much overlapping from our LB.
 

Rico Henry

I was thinking this. Had Rico been fully match fit he should surely have started against Traore, and against Elanga at Forest.
I think that was the inference of Thomas’ reference to the option of a full back with defending as his primary attribute and a full back who can play more like a wing back.
 

Rico Henry

Rico hasn't and never has had an end product with the ball. He is pacey and willing, but we can't expect him to be as good on the ball as KLP.
Although KLP struggled with Traore, 9 times out of 10 he gets in before Rico.
I want my left back to be better at defending than going forward. A fit Rico would start ahead of KLP but he has been outstanding this season and must have been very close to player of the season
 

Rico Henry

A good team has competition for places.
For the first time in Rico’s Brentford career, he has a fight for his position.
No one saw this coming, Claus Norgaard spotted KLPs talent in this position and his Brentford career has blossomed.
Thomas will enjoy pre season for this position, Rico has his most important pre season in the last 8 seasons.
 

Rico Henry

From our conversation with him at the pub, I suspect KLP is TF's number 1 at the moment.
with good reason.

KLP could move back up the pitch replacing Schade who would in turn replace Mbuemo on the right.

Who knows. Possibly not even Thomas yet!
 

Rico Henry

I think KLP has been fantastic this season, but I still prefer a left back to be predominantly left footed. KLP isn't able to provide that pass down the wing on his left foot so can't link up with Schade as easily. Or charge down the wing like Rico can and take a pass naturally on his left foot. We tend to focus on the other wing instead which limits us. If Rico can get back to his old form, then we can push KLP further up the pitch.
 

Rico Henry

I think KLP has been fantastic this season, but I still prefer a left back to be predominantly left footed. KLP isn't able to provide that pass down the wing on his left foot so can't link up with Schade as easily. Or charge down the wing like Rico can and take a pass naturally on his left foot. We tend to focus on the other wing instead which limits us. If Rico can get back to his old form, then we can push KLP further up the pitch.
Lewis-Potter made several very good passes down the left wing today, linking up with Schade - and does so regularly.

Be very surprised if Henry is preferred to KLP when both are fit at LB moving forwards.
 

Rico Henry

Rico hasn't and never has had an end product with the ball. He is pacey and willing, but we can't expect him to be as good on the ball as KLP.
Although KLP struggled with Traore, 9 times out of 10 he gets in before Rico.
One of KLP’s issue has been end product and the final pass or shot. Henry is a better defender when fully fit and used to save us against so many counter attacks,

Wonder if KLP even wants to play full back given he’s always been an attacking winger.

I’d pick a fully fit and flying Rico over KLP, he was verging on an England call up.
 

Rico Henry

From our conversation with him at the pub, I suspect KLP is TF's number 1 at the moment.
Yes at the moment and no one can disagree. However, Rico was flying before his injury and if he can have a good pre-season and get back to those levels then tougher decisions lie ahead.
 

Rico Henry

Lewis-Potter made several very good passes down the left wing today, linking up with Schade - and does so regularly.

Be very surprised if Henry is preferred to KLP when both are fit at LB moving forwards.
Yes he does, but in the home matches I've noticed mainly on his right foot. Very happy to see KLP continue at left back, just an observation about the options a naturally left footed left back gives.
 

Rico Henry

It's very Brentford that despite the KLP/Rico debate the player who plays the most at left back next season could still possibly be Aaron Hickey or Jayden Meghoma
 

Rico Henry

Just saw a report saying he's 'penned' a farewell message! Clickbait?

Clickbait of the highest order. There is an article going round from a site which I won't name because it doesn't deserve the oxygen of publicity which references an emotional goodbye message but doesn't make it clear he's simply wishing TF well.
 

Rico Henry

Clickbait of the highest order. There is an article going round from a site which I won't name because it doesn't deserve the oxygen of publicity which references an emotional goodbye message but doesn't make it clear he's simply wishing TF well.

Thanks very much! Sorry to spread alarm! :(
 

Rico Henry

Surprised he hasn't been linked to Tottenham.
 

Rico Henry

Just saw a report saying he's 'penned' a farewell message! Clickbait?
He simply copied the club's post as his Instagram story and wrote, “Thank you for all the memories. Been a good run! Good luck with your next chapter!”. Football Insider's "news gathering" consists of trawling players' social media and inventing stories around what they see.
 

Rico Henry

Yes he has. A farewell To Thomas.

Yes, as was explained to me above, it is being presented inaccurately by various unscrupulous platforms. :(
 

Rico Henry

Having our first choice back four available with good options available in the squad could save us, I don't know, ten goals or more next season? Eases the pressure caused by losing a 20 goal a season striker. I would have Rico up against Kevin Schade in pre-season training and Kevin would look to repeatedly knock the ball past Rico and try to beat him for pace. I think KLP has been good this season but lacked Rico's experience and decision making at times.
 

Rico Henry

Having our first choice back four available with good options available in the squad could save us, I don't know, ten goals or more next season? Eases the pressure caused by losing a 20 goal a season striker. I would have Rico up against Kevin Schade in pre-season training and Kevin would look to repeatedly knock the ball past Rico and try to beat him for pace. I think KLP has been good this season but lacked Rico's experience and decision making at times.
Agree with all of this my back four would be, Kayode Collins VDB Henry, ricos pace and ability is unreal.
 

Rico Henry

Having our first choice back four available with good options available in the squad could save us, I don't know, ten goals or more next season? Eases the pressure caused by losing a 20 goal a season striker. I would have Rico up against Kevin Schade in pre-season training and Kevin would look to repeatedly knock the ball past Rico and try to beat him for pace. I think KLP has been good this season but lacked Rico's experience and decision making at times.
All the talk of KLP being incredible at LB, and it'd be hard for Rico to win the shirt back...

And while I thought KLP did an incredible job, I still felt like a lot of the good moments he had could have been avoided with a little bit more nous and awareness. Rico snuffs out a lot of those half chances before they happen, KLP doesn't have that. He's a naturally tenacious and hard working player who understands the system. But I'm not sure he's a natural defender. While Rico is.

I can't wait to see him back in the LB slot and firing. I think we're going to be very hard to play against. Especially with the options created by having Kayode and Hickey available, too. And the emergence of Yarmo.

If we can avoid being picked apart, then I think we can kick on even further. And considering we have Collins, Yarmo, SvDB, and Dams all tied down to long term contracts, I'd say we have a good chance of keeping the spine together.
 

Rico Henry

All the talk of KLP being incredible at LB, and it'd be hard for Rico to win the shirt back...

And while I thought KLP did an incredible job, I still felt like a lot of the good moments he had could have been avoided with a little bit more nous and awareness. Rico snuffs out a lot of those half chances before they happen, KLP doesn't have that. He's a naturally tenacious and hard working player who understands the system. But I'm not sure he's a natural defender. While Rico is.

I can't wait to see him back in the LB slot and firing. I think we're going to be very hard to play against. Especially with the options created by having Kayode and Hickey available, too. And the emergence of Yarmo.

If we can avoid being picked apart, then I think we can kick on even further. And considering we have Collins, Yarmo, SvDB, and Dams all tied down to long term contracts, I'd say we have a good chance of keeping the spine together.

Based on the end of last season, KLP all day long.

Prime Rico against KLP, Rico for me.

That's the challenge for Rico & Keano
 

Rico Henry

I wonder if him and Hickey were back in behind closed doors training thought May and June?
 

Rico Henry

Rico is still a better defender than KLP and seems to be back to his sharpest in training. KLP will be a conundrum for Keith and the team. He's too good to drop but where to play him? If more advanced he'll need to add goals to his output.
 

Rico Henry

I would back KLP to be our starting LB next season. Henry more of a conundrum in my mind. We shall see.
 
Back
Top Bottom