Rico Henry

Rico Henry

As good as an assist for the goal. That’s making your mark as a sub.
We didn’t get behind Leeds RB Bogle much but the time Rico did we scored.
He made us better on the left as half time sub at Spurs and a week later contributes again.
Rico should start at Wolves, he’s finding the best form of all the LBs that have been tried there the past two weeks.
 

Rico Henry

Don’t understand why he doesn’t start for us, best left back we have clearly….. stop the experiment of square pegs in round holes
 

Rico Henry

Don’t understand why he doesn’t start for us, best left back we have clearly….. stop the experiment of square pegs in round holes
Agreed . He has energy to spare when he comes on. He almost woke me up on Sunday.
 

Rico Henry

Should he have not done better for the cross for their goal….doesnt put any pressure on the crosser
The slide tackle interception from Ampadu on the edge of our box was freakish. It gave Gnonto all the time he needed to pick the cross and caught our back line on their heels. Rico typically got out quicker than most but Gnonto still had more time than normal.
 

Rico Henry

We haven’t put pressure on crossers for ages. It seems to be a deliberate tactic. Not sure I’m a fan but it’s not just a Rico thing.

Yeah, you’re right, it’s bizarre isn’t it
 

Rico Henry

He’s never had a run in the team since returning from injury. The odd start here and there.

He needs regular starts to build up some form. I’d start him at left back for the rest of the year.

Still our best Full Back by a mile, Hope to see him starting most weeks soon. Him and Damsgaard made a good impression when coming on Sunday.
 

Rico Henry

We haven’t put pressure on crossers for ages. It seems to be a deliberate tactic. Not sure I’m a fan but it’s not just a Rico thing.
Goes back to sitting deep with Pinnock and Pontus in the back, clearing everything. Collins and Sepp haven't been able to command the box quite as well as they did in their prime
 

Rico Henry

Still our best Full Back by a mile, Hope to see him starting most weeks soon. Him and Damsgaard made a good impression when coming on Sunday.
He should be starting, I like Hickey but Rico gives us more in attack
 

Rico Henry

We haven’t put pressure on crossers for ages. It seems to be a deliberate tactic. Not sure I’m a fan but it’s not just a Rico thing.
There's some pressure, but the aim is to block crosses; rather than dive in, get beaten, and try to defend an unchallenged cross from a better position
 

Rico Henry

He’s such a good defender one on one, second half of the City game Cherki was getting so frustrated. His burst forwards are so vital and gives us something different.
 

Rico Henry

It does feel as though he is still finding his way back as he seems to make more mistakes than he used to. I also suspect he has lost a tiny bit of pace (not unexpected) which is making it harder to recover when out of position.
 

Rico Henry

It does feel as though he is still finding his way back as he seems to make more mistakes than he used to. I also suspect he has lost a tiny bit of pace (not unexpected) which is making it harder to recover when out of position.
He was so quick before the injury that he could afford to lose a bit of pace, though it’s still debatable whether he actually has. Regardless, he remains one of the fastest players we have and is certainly our quickest fullback. Eighteen months out of the game is a very long time for both Rico and Aaron, so I’d estimate they’re operating at around 90–95% of their usual standard.
 

Rico Henry

He just seems to still be playing as if it were pre-season...lots of little moments of uncertainty and slightly wrong/poorly timed decision making. I don't know why it's taking him so long to get back on top of it mentally, but it is. And he's so good. But until he fixes those mistakes, somehow gets on top of it mentally...can he be fully trusted?
 

Rico Henry

I think it’s important not to forget how much TFs departure will have resonated amongst certain players.

In MJ’c case for example, it seemed under TF his role was starting to become limited, now under KA he has a great chance to reinstate himself.

For Rico, his emergence, his excellence came through TF. So whilst KA will know what he’s capable of, a new gauntlet has been set as it were.

Also he’s learning to play with a new GK. we’ve seen it with every GK change, that it just takes time for that whole defensive engine to come together.

We saw Nathan play through his ‘nervy’ period and come out shining, I do think Rico will recapture his form. He just needs time
 

Rico Henry

It’s good to see him back on the pitch but I still think Hickey is first choice at LB, he is a step up as an all round player. Will be intrestedting to see what we do with Meghoma next season as he is playing regularly for Rangers. I can’t see him coming back and just being third choice left back.
 

Rico Henry

Every one of our full backs has strengths and weaknesses – Henry is no exception but his ability to get forward, play cross-field balls and get crosses in probably weighs in his favour when we need a more attacking style of play. My personal opinion is that he’s helped massively by van den Berg, who’s headers and clearances are top of the picks which allows Rico more freedom to get forward.
 

Rico Henry

It’s good to see him back on the pitch but I still think Hickey is first choice at LB, he is a step up as an all round player. Will be intrestedting to see what we do with Meghoma next season as he is playing regularly for Rangers. I can’t see him coming back and just being third choice left back.

RH is the best LB in the club. Hickey is more inventive, better delivery and a tidier footballer, but Rico's pace, arial ability and defensive awareness is way above the others.

Rico is also 29 at the end of this season, AH coming up 23 so will be the long term answer I suspect.
 

Rico Henry

Every one of our full backs has strengths and weaknesses – Henry is no exception but his ability to get forward, play cross-field balls and get crosses in probably weighs in his favour when we need a more attacking style of play. My personal opinion is that he’s helped massively by van den Berg, who’s headers and clearances are top of the picks which allows Rico more freedom to get forward.

Rico's weakness is his crossing, that is the only thing that stopped him getting 50 England caps (and Gareth picking his right footed, over the hill mates of course)
 

Rico Henry

RH is the best LB in the club. Hickey is more inventive, better delivery and a tidier footballer, but Rico's pace, arial ability and defensive awareness is way above the others.

Rico is also 29 at the end of this season, AH coming up 23 so will be the long term answer I suspect.
Rico’s aerial ability? He’s barely 5’7” isn’t he?
 

Rico Henry

Rico's weakness is his crossing, that is the only thing that stopped him getting 50 England caps (and Gareth picking his right footed, over the hill mates of course)
… he’s a better crosser that Hickey! Yes, it’s nothing exceptional but Saturday he put in 2 accurate crosses, nobody put in more (although 3 others had 2!).
 

Rico Henry

Entirely subjective (tick means better or equal), but they seem pretty balanced - Henry a more effective last man in defense and bombing down wing, Hickey better in possession and calmer generally.

HenryHickey
Pace✓
Heading - duels✓✓
Running with ball✓
Tackling✓✓
Passing under pressure ✓
Pressing✓
Being pressed ✓
Weaker Foot ✓
 

Rico Henry

He looks like he's struggling a bit, I think I'd rather see Hickey starting games at left back on current form.
 

Rico Henry

He looks like he's struggling a bit, I think I'd rather see Hickey starting games at left back on current form.
Think the goal is unfortunate, he had managed the situation well and then tripped over his feet (defo no foul) and they score directly from that mistake. He knew he was about to come off so wonder if he had switched off slightly. Personally I’d keep him in for a run of games but can see the counter view.
 

Rico Henry

Think the goal is unfortunate, he had managed the situation well and then tripped over his feet (defo no foul) and they score directly from that mistake. He knew he was about to come off so wonder if he had switched off slightly. Personally I’d keep him in for a run of games but can see the counter view.
Even excluding the goal, he had a poor game. Hickey was prepared to come on and the changes, including Damsgaard, seemed to take an age, which seemed odd.
 

Rico Henry

Even excluding the goal, he had a poor game. Hickey was prepared to come on and the changes, including Damsgaard, seemed to take an age, which seemed odd.
The ball just wouldn't go out of play in all that time - apart from Bournemouth corners, where the conventional wisdom is that the defending team shouldn't risk a sub.
 

Rico Henry

The ball just wouldn't go out of play in all that time - apart from Bournemouth corners, where the conventional wisdom is that the defending team shouldn't risk a sub.

Correct, the subs were ready to come on for a good 4 or 5 minutes but the ball was either in play or a Bournemouth corner.
 

Rico Henry

I don't think he struggled that much, there was one moment the over lap was on and he didn't go and the whole crowd shouted as they could see it. Other than that he had a good game, unfortunate for the goal.

The bloke has missed nearly 2 seasons so will have a few moments when he is off the pace until the end of the season, as will Hickey, so it is good we have both so we can manage the situation, something we have not had for a few years.
 

Rico Henry

Because of how good he "was", i'd be tempted to give him a run in the team as he's our most natural left back.... was poor against Wolves but didn't think he was too bad against Muff.

I think if I was Hickey i'd be a little miffed, but I still think Rico gives us slightly more so would give him a run.
 

Rico Henry

FFS he was fine yesterday.

One slip. Other then that he did his job. Theres isnt an issue here.
I don't mean to be overly critical and I will add some supporting context, however let’s be real: He stood out as a weak link all game, and he did so at Wolves as well.

He didn’t just get beat for the Bournemouth goal, did he? Quite a few other hairy moments across both games.

IMG_2768.jpeg

Overall, I agree with you I don’t think there’s an “issue”. But I’d prefer to call it like it is, he’s not good enough, particularly post-injury, to be seen as our “starting” left-back, especially long term.

I am glad he’s fit after the injury problems. For KA it’s depth at left-back we’ve not had in recent seasons, it helps us manage gametime responsibly for Hickey and Ajer too both of whom have had their own injury issues. It’s meant Meghoma could go out on loan too.

So in the sense that we can call upon Henry to start matches — this season — when the fixtures are piling up and minutes are needing to be managed, we are in a privileged position. But should we look at his levels and think “this is our long term first choice left-back”? No.

It’s like we had with Roerslev at RB really. I just think people view Rico differently because at one time pre-injury he was first name on the team-sheet, and there’s an expectation it should go back to that eventually.
 

Rico Henry

I don't mean to be overly critical and I will add some supporting context, however let’s be real: He stood out as a weak link all game, and he did so at Wolves as well.

He didn’t just get beat for the Bournemouth goal, did he? Quite a few other hairy moments across both games.

View attachment 62488

Overall, I agree with you I don’t think there’s an “issue”. But I’d prefer to call it like it is, he’s not good enough, particularly post-injury, to be seen as our “starting” left-back, especially long term.

I am glad he’s fit after the injury problems. For KA it’s depth at left-back we’ve not had in recent seasons, it helps us manage gametime responsibly for Hickey and Ajer too both of whom have had their own injury issues. It’s meant Meghoma could go out on loan too.

So in the sense that we can call upon Henry to start matches — this season — when the fixtures are piling up and minutes are needing to be managed, we are in a privileged position. But should we look at his levels and think “this is our long term first choice left-back”? No.

It’s like we had with Roerslev at RB really. I just think people view Rico differently because at one time pre-injury he was first name on the team-sheet, and there’s an expectation it should go back to that eventually.
Good post

I still think some are overthinking how “badly” he’s playing.
 

Rico Henry

Good post

I still think some are overthinking how “badly” he’s playing.
WhoScored ratings are highly weighted towards goals, so their 5.3 for Henry, with an error, is probably not really that bad.

Nevertheless, I think Rico’s abilities are best suited to a weaker opponent, when the ability to get forward and support attacks comes into play, while Hickey is a more solid defender.
 
Back
Top Bottom