The World Cup Thread

The World Cup Thread

more terrible ref/lino decisions .. both 'goals' should have stood.. especially when long mexico @ 0.4 !!
 

The World Cup Thread

...............heavy heavy rain...............
 

The World Cup Thread

..............two tight disallowed goals for Mexico............

Second one wasn't so much tight as technically wrong. The ref should have overruled the lino as he was better placed to see that the touch before the goal was by a defender.
 

The World Cup Thread

............Mexico deservedly one up.........
 

The World Cup Thread

Cameroon won't even get a point. Very poor side.
 

The World Cup Thread

4.1 on holland to win..good odds im on it..
 

The World Cup Thread

I got a free Sun World Cup Special paper delivered the other day .God its a crap tabloid isnt it?
 

The World Cup Thread

I got a free Sun World Cup Special paper delivered the other day .God its a crap tabloid isnt it?

Just ask milliband about the sun.bet 365 paying back if england lose..
 

The World Cup Thread

Did Duck Face Rio seriously just compare Carrick to Busquets? lol
 

The World Cup Thread

Come on the Dutch. Spain are seriously boring. Would love to see them knocked out early.
 

The World Cup Thread

Did Duck Face Rio seriously just compare Carrick to Busquets? lol

I think he's an idiot but I'm also not so sure Busquets is as good as they make out. I watched him mis control a ball and get a foul on the half way line that Rio said was cute!!
 

The World Cup Thread

Sneijder...
 

The World Cup Thread

...........a big side but no penetration............

Sounds a bit rude. I bet their bitches get plenty of penetration.
 

The World Cup Thread

I think he's an idiot but I'm also not so sure Busquets is as good as they make out. I watched him mis control a ball and get a foul on the half way line that Rio said was cute!!

I would prefer Busquets in my side to Carrick.
He is a player you'd hate to play against, a proper wind up.
I agree though that was a bad clip to try amd show off his quality though. :)
 

The World Cup Thread

.............31seconds...............
 

The World Cup Thread

The officials are poop but it's started well, no boring games
Shaping up well?

Anyone not enjoying this World Cup has no soul.
 

The World Cup Thread

Anyone not enjoying this World Cup has no soul.

And then we had the 0.0 draws.

Very entertaining but all the unpunished fouling is a bit like watching a sunday morning game in the 1970's. Diving is acceptable again and you need to break a leg to get booked.
 

The World Cup Thread

And then we had the 0.0 draws.

Very entertaining but all the unpunished fouling is a bit like watching a sunday morning game in the 1970's. Diving is acceptable again and you need to break a leg to get booked.

Brazil - Mexico was a very good game i thought
 

The World Cup Thread

There has been some great games but overall I think the quality of the teams is fairly low so it is anybody's tournament. 4 years ago I thought it was a poor standard and Spain walked it conceding 3 goals and not breaking sweat. 8 years ago I thought it was poor and Italian basically cheated and fouled their way to the final and won on penalties with a CF who didn't score a single goal. What has happened to the great Italian, Brazilian, German, dutch and Argentinian sides of the past. I am sure these teams wouldn't have lasted long in the 1990 WC against the Italians and Germans, 82 versus Brazil or even 86 versus the argies and even the Danish. The games are entertaining but teams who look great in one game look a bit crap in the next.
 

The World Cup Thread

Mark Larwenson likes to talk doesn't he? Just seems the type of guy that could issue a reply of "You taking the piss?" with anything you ask him lol
 

The World Cup Thread

There has been some great games but overall I think the quality of the teams is fairly low so it is anybody's tournament. 4 years ago I thought it was a poor standard and Spain walked it conceding 3 goals and not breaking sweat. 8 years ago I thought it was poor and Italian basically cheated and fouled their way to the final and won on penalties with a CF who didn't score a single goal. What has happened to the great Italian, Brazilian, German, dutch and Argentinian sides of the past. I am sure these teams wouldn't have lasted long in the 1990 WC against the Italians and Germans, 82 versus Brazil or even 86 versus the argies and even the Danish. The games are entertaining but teams who look great in one game look a bit crap in the next.

I think there's a tendency to romanticise World Cups of the past. Gazza and Roger Milla aside, Italia 90 was poor. So far this gas certainly been the best WC I can remember.

Also, in the past there was a much greater gap between the elite few and those below them. That isn't the case any more.
 

The World Cup Thread

I think there's a tendency to romanticise World Cups of the past. Gazza and Roger Milla aside, Italia 90 was poor. So far this gas certainly been the best WC I can remember.

Also, in the past there was a much greater gap between the elite few and those below them. That isn't the case any more.

I don't think any team in the WC would get anywhere near the elite few from the past. The defending and goalkeeping on the whole is shocking and leading to so many goals which is making it fun to watch. Germany in 90 were excellent, one of the best teams I have seen, Brazil in 82 one of the best ever seen. I have seen very little to compare with the likes of Maradona, Ronalda, Ronaldhino etc in this WC. Messi has scored a good goal so lets see how they push on, Neymar looks a bit tricky around the box but wouldn't get in the great Brazilian teams of the past. Just my opinion of course.
 

The World Cup Thread

I think there's a tendency to romanticise World Cups of the past. Gazza and Roger Milla aside, Italia 90 was poor. So far this gas certainly been the best WC I can remember.

Also, in the past there was a much greater gap between the elite few and those below them. That isn't the case any more.
1990 had some quality IMO, the Germans were one of the best teams I've ever seen, that made our penalty defeat even harder to take, they were strong in every dept.
 

The World Cup Thread

I thought the Italians in 1990 eye also absolutely superb. Really invigorating football.
 

The World Cup Thread

I thought the Italians in 1990 eye also absolutely superb. Really invigorating football.

Agreed, I think the Germans beat Yugoslavia 4-1 in the group stages and again IMO that Yugoslavian team was a very good side too, the only rubbish thing about 1990 was that somehow those crappy Argies made it to the final, they were remotely average but somehow made it, the standard of football was pretty decent and I reckon it's been pretty crap from then until now with the France hosted one having a few flashes of good stuff.
 

The World Cup Thread

I don't think international football is as important to players in these days of Champions League and vast salaries. A lot of players currently in Brazil see it as an opportunity to put themselves in the shop window. I love the World Cup but it is nothing today compared to 1978 and 1982 which were my particular favourites - and I am old enough to remember 1966. Give me Barry Davies and a scratchy muffled broadcast any day.
 

The World Cup Thread

For me,whilst this World Cup is, in the main, extremely entertaining to me some of the mystique of the World Cup has disappeared.

With the mobility of player, the advent of the Champions League, the plethara of leagues being beamed into our homes via satelite etc mean that it seems that we know a little about almost every player in every squad.

I can remember the Zaire in the 1974 World Cup and it seemed almost no one knew anything about them and even in the Final I had only heard of about half a dozen players (btw I was only 8). Forward to 78 before the demolition job on the Jocks who had heard of Teofilo Cubillas and Hector Chumpitaz other than the Peruvians.

There seem to be very few instances of that these days
 

The World Cup Thread

For me,whilst this World Cup is, in the main, extremely entertaining to me some of the mystique of the World Cup has disappeared.

With the mobility of player, the advent of the Champions League, the plethara of leagues being beamed into our homes via satelite etc mean that it seems that we know a little about almost every player in every squad.

I can remember the Zaire in the 1974 World Cup and it seemed almost no one knew anything about them and even in the Final I had only heard of about half a dozen players (btw I was only 8). Forward to 78 before the demolition job on the Jocks who had heard of Teofilo Cubillas and Hector Chumpitaz other than the Peruvians.

There seem to be very few instances of that these days

Yes, its true. I remember kids at school talking about this wonder player called Diego marijuana, we had to wait until the 82 world cup to get a look at it.....then he got sent off :)
 

The World Cup Thread

I don't think international football is as important to players in these days of Champions League and vast salaries. A lot of players currently in Brazil see it as an opportunity to put themselves in the shop window. I love the World Cup but it is nothing today compared to 1978 and 1982 which were my particular favourites - and I am old enough to remember 1966. Give me Barry Davies and a scratchy muffled broadcast any day.

Can't comment on some of the older tournaments you mention, but personally I'm enjoying this World Cup far more than any recent Champions League
 

The World Cup Thread

The World Cup Thread

Despite the huge disappointment of our early exit, I reckon this tournament has so far been a big success, in terms of what's gone on, on the pitch. Compare this to the 2010 WC finals!
 

The World Cup Thread

Does anyone else feel nauseous whenever ITV cut to the adverts and you get Oscar and Luiz singing "brasiiiil, brasiiil" in the campest, wimpiest most sickening way?
 

The World Cup Thread

Would I be right in saying there have been no FKs scored or penalties missed yet?
 

The World Cup Thread

Despite the huge disappointment of our early exit, I reckon this tournament has so far been a big success, in terms of what's gone on, on the pitch. Compare this to the 2010 WC finals!

Agreed. I've still got World Cup fever
 

The World Cup Thread

Would I be right in saying there have been no FKs scored or penalties missed yet?

.............think Swiss scored their first against France from a long range free kick...........
 

The World Cup Thread

And penalty missed in the same game?
 

The World Cup Thread

I'm so loving this WC. The action, goals, near-misses and shoulder biting is making this the best I've ever known.

Goals are plenty!! I honesty thought Brazil 2012 would be a huge flop - glad I'm proved wrong so far.
 

The World Cup Thread

I'm so loving this WC. The action, goals, near-misses and shoulder biting is making this the best I've ever known.

Goals are plenty!! I honesty thought Brazil 2012 would be a huge flop - glad I'm proved wrong so far.

I think the one in 2014 will be even better .
 

The World Cup Thread

I'm so loving this WC. The action, goals, near-misses and shoulder biting is making this the best I've ever known.

Goals are plenty!! I honesty thought Brazil 2012 would be a huge flop - glad I'm proved wrong so far.

South American tournaments have always been great, Mexico 70, Argentina 78, Mexico 86 and now Brazil.
 

The World Cup Thread

South American tournaments have always been great, Mexico 70, Argentina 78, Mexico 86 and now Brazil.

That is because you get more South American teams progressing and the Europeans who stifle the game melt in the heat and go out. The SA's just go for it, the European teams are far more cautious.
 

The World Cup Thread

That is because you get more South American teams progressing and the Europeans who stifle the game melt in the heat and go out. The SA's just go for it, the European teams are far more cautious.

Agree, always colourful, bags of atmosphere and emotion plus cracking games.
 
Back
Top Bottom