Your First Bees Game

Your First Bees Game

sh*t i remember that was only a nipper and that big old new road terrace
 

Your First Bees Game

September 10 1990 brentford-chester. We lost 1-0 IIRC

Seem to remember Carl Dale scored for them ?? WEB ?Chappers ?
 

Your First Bees Game

Brentford 1 - 3 Newport County, October 1975 I think?

We were poo. I was hooked. I am odd.
 

Your First Bees Game

I can't remember.:sad:Brentford v Watford 3-3 or Booker's hatrick, I think I just remember them rather than them being the first.

QPR v Liverpool 1976 ish, 2-0 to Rangers with a certain Stan Bowles running the show against the best side in the universe was defo my first ever one.
 

Your First Bees Game

Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans! It always amazes me when people have such clear memories of their first game. But to have the details of your second game stored in the memory bank? I'm impressed sir! lol

The old memory does play some odd tricks (or mine does anyway)

I can't remember details of half the games I went to last season, but my very first game, although over 57 years ago, I recall clearly.
I was 9 years old and my grandad took me to GP on Good Friday morning 1952 to see Bees V Sheffield Wednesday.
36,000 crowd, we stood behind the Brook Road goal as Wednesday won 3-2 with Derek Dooley scoring a hat trick (poor man had a leg amputated not too long after that). IRRC the admission was 9d (4p ) for boys and 1/9d (9p) for men,(Thats what it said on the gate in the days before political correctness).
I still rate that match as one of the best I have seen at GP (along with the 6-1 smashing of QPR in 1965.) :sorted:
 

Your First Bees Game

Cambridge at home 1976. Lost 2-0
 

Your First Bees Game

Swansea home 1974 won 1-0.
Hooked straight away by the Royal Oak end!!!:cool:
Following week went to Chester lost 0-2.
 

Your First Bees Game

Nov 65 home to Millwall-the (in)famous hand grenade game
5yrs old -standing on the ER with my Dad.
Grenade got thrown on and a copper took it off the pitch in a bucket of sand! Cue merriment behind the goal between the red and blue scarfed fans.
Bloke wih his son turned to Dad and said 'I don't know what the fuss is about-you can see it's a dud'. Dad (ex Royal Marines) replied 'see it a mile off'.
Remember little else but asked when the next game was when we got home!
Bees relegated that season-sums it up really:sorted:
 

Your First Bees Game

Brentford 2-1 Blackpool. October? 1987.
Paul Smith (the black one) and Sinton scored the goals.
Thank you ISB. :sorted:
 

Your First Bees Game

Brentford v DOncaster 1973. 2-0 to the Bees. Got in free as my dad was 'old bill', always got in for nothing right up till 1977-78 season! Just 'flashed' his warrant........."in you go"
 

Your First Bees Game

Other early memories include the insanely strong aroma of Ralgex, roll up tobacco, the bloke that used to walk around the terraces selling peanuts in their shells, in paper bags and the players being much, much older than they are these days.

That's what football used to be like.

I can see it all now.

Aaaahhhhh the memories.
 

Your First Bees Game

V Lincoln in about 1976 1-1 draw.

First game was Ra Ra's versus Newcastle a couple of years earlier

Made the right choice didn't I?
 

Your First Bees Game

Home to Colchester in September 1957. I was actually going to watch Chelsea that day but a work colleague badgered me into going to Griffin Park. The result was 3-3 and terrific entertainment and since that I have been a Bee. Little did I know what I had let myself in for. Lots of pain, but there again many happy memories and I have seen many very good players wearing the Bees shirt.
 

Your First Bees Game

Brentford 4 Rotherham 2. 5/10/1996. Carl Asaba got 2. We were top of the league.
 

Your First Bees Game

not sure of date and would love if someone could tell me

Brentford 7 - 0 Plymouth Argyle
Ahh yes. Remember it well. We'd beaten them 5-1 away on opening day as I recall and I was half expecting a revenge tonking. Didn't happen though. :sorted:
 

Your First Bees Game

Very 1st match home to Coventry in 1962/63 Season - lost 3-2. However 1st match going regularly home to Aldershot in promotion season 71/72. 0-0 but a bumper 12k+ crowd, no segregation, and, if I remember rightly, a certain Roger (Mr Bumble) Kirkpatrick as referee. He was often more entertaining than the matches he was in charge of! Also at that time, fans could change ends at halftime. It was Royal Oak 1st half, and Ealing Road 2nd half, more often than not. Ah, what memories!
 

Your First Bees Game

Brentford 2-1 Blackpool. October? 1987.
Paul Smith (the black one) and Sinton scored the goals.
Thank you ISB. :sorted:

its all my fault! that was when i properly started going too, same as you, hadn't been for over a year before that. i wondered if we'd've come back if we had lost 3-1 that day, what do you reckon? how much was it to get in, £1.50?

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
 

Your First Bees Game

its all my fault! that was when i properly started going too, same as you, hadn't been for over a year before that. i wondered if we'd've come back if we had lost 3-1 that day, what do you reckon? how much was it to get in, £1.50?

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Something like that. I might have a ticket stub from that season somewhere at home. My life is so lacking in meaning that I might look for it later this evening.:sorted:

Bus fare was 20 pence each way. Programme was 60 pence.

I blame someone who isn't me for the state of the world.
 

Your First Bees Game

5th October 1996
Brentford 4-2 Rotherham United
Asaba
Taylor
Asaba
Forster

My first match, Paul Abrahams' last match.
 

Your First Bees Game

Something like that. I might have a ticket stub from that season somewhere at home. My life is so lacking in meaning that I might look for it later this evening.:sorted:

Bus fare was 20 pence each way. Programme was 60 pence.

I blame someone who isn't me for the state of the world.
Programme was 5p for my first game in 1972 lol. Can't remember if buses had been invented back then :confused:.
 

Your First Bees Game

Your First Bees Game

Can anyone help, think my first game was home to Southend. I was only young so my guess is that it was between 92-94. At a push i'd say we won maybe 2-1 or 2-0 but i'm not sure. Does anyone know which game I might be thinking of?
 

Your First Bees Game

Can anyone help, think my first game was home to Southend. I was only young so my guess is that it was between 92-94. At a push i'd say we won maybe 2-1 or 2-0 but i'm not sure. Does anyone know which game I might be thinking of?
Southend at home, early to mid nineties I reckon. :yes:
 

Your First Bees Game

:imwith:

:laugh:

Could've been the game when Blissett went in goal. 92-93. We won 2-1......... maybe.
 

Your First Bees Game

Brentford 5-0 Walsall. Feb 2006 :)

a few years back when we were looking certainties for promotion, fell in love with the club and havent looked back.

havent won by more than that since though :(
 

Your First Bees Game

Brentford 5-0 Walsall. Feb 2006 :)

a few years back when we were looking certainties for promotion, fell in love with the club and havent looked back.

havent won by more than that since though :(

Gloryhunter (i assume you know what the previous match was)
 

Your First Bees Game

I was sure that I'd posted in this about my first game but here goes.

Brentford 2-0 York November 1972.

Coming up to 37 years a Bee and still proud of it.
 

Your First Bees Game

Can anyone help, think my first game was home to Southend. I was only young so my guess is that it was between 92-94. At a push i'd say we won maybe 2-1 or 2-0 but i'm not sure. Does anyone know which game I might be thinking of?

92-93......Bees won 2-1........29 Aug 1992
 

Your First Bees Game

brentford blackpool 1986 we won 2-0
 

Your First Bees Game

what date was the royal oak replaced by the wendy house please? :sorted: :bound:
 

Your First Bees Game

what date was the royal oak replaced by the wendy house please? :sorted: :bound:

1986.

right side of the box drilled across or lobbed the keeper down the Ealing Road end..?

Seem to remember Carl Dale scored for them ?? WEB ?Chappers ?

Before I started going regularly.

That game was early 1989. Great finish. Got a good round of applause in Braemar Road paddock as well.
 

Your First Bees Game

I was sure that I'd posted in this about my first game but here goes.

Brentford 2-0 York November 1972.

Coming up to 37 years a Bee and still proud of it.
That's interesting TW3Bee. As I've said elsewhere, I can't remember my first game (how I wish I could). But what I do know with 100% certainty is that it was late 1972 so there's a very strong possibility we were both baptised on the same day! Guess I'll never know for sure :sad:.
 

Your First Bees Game

So many 'first times' in that 71/72 season.

Me too. My first 3 games were in Sept/Oct 71. Hartlepool 6-0, Peterboro 5-1, Northampton 5-1. As we sang at the time 'Oh dear what can the matter be, John O'Mara scores every Saturday'. We couldn't always afford the admission fee so would watch the first half from the top of the Green Dragon tower blocks and then get in just after HT when the gates would be open.

What a season to start being a bee. 18000 crowds at Christmas and Easter. Charging up the league only to lose about 6 on the trot when O'Mara was suspended. Then the big man comes back and we beat ??? 2-0 on an amazing Monday night at GP then onto promotion.

Great days.
 

Your First Bees Game

So many 'first times' in that 71/72 season.

Me too. My first 3 games were in Sept/Oct 71. Hartlepool 6-0, Peterboro 5-1, Northampton 5-1. As we sang at the time 'Oh dear what can the matter be, John O'Mara scores every Saturday'. We couldn't always afford the admission fee so would watch the first half from the top of the Green Dragon tower blocks and then get in just after HT when the gates would be open.

What a season to start being a bee. 18000 crowds at Christmas and Easter. Charging up the league only to lose about 6 on the trot when O'Mara was suspended. Then the big man comes back and we beat ??? 2-0 on an amazing Monday night at GP then onto promotion.

Great days.

Lincoln City!!:wave:
 

Your First Bees Game

In the season of 2003/2004 vs Grimsby in November 2003 when I was 7. I sat in the away seats and supported grimsby!(because everyone around was cheerig when they scored so i just went with the flo) Grimsby won 3-1
 

Your First Bees Game

So many 'first times' in that 71/72 season.

Me too. My first 3 games were in Sept/Oct 71. Hartlepool 6-0, Peterboro 5-1, Northampton 5-1. As we sang at the time 'Oh dear what can the matter be, John O'Mara scores every Saturday'. We couldn't always afford the admission fee so would watch the first half from the top of the Green Dragon tower blocks and then get in just after HT when the gates would be open.

What a season to start being a bee. 18000 crowds at Christmas and Easter. Charging up the league only to lose about 6 on the trot when O'Mara was suspended. Then the big man comes back and we beat ??? 2-0 on an amazing Monday night at GP then onto promotion.

Great days.
I remember the same song was used for Stevie Phillips a few years after. Along with 'We all agree, Len Bond is better than Yashin, Steve Phillips is better than Eusebio and Watford are in for a thrashing' rofl.

Does anyone remember a young lady called Sandra who used to stand with Mrs Brown towards the front of the Royal Oak in the late seventies and, in particular, her 'Watford W**k**s' scarf lol? I remember as a joke, someone had given her a Watford silk scarf on the coach back from an away trip. She very cleverly split the scarf along one seam and replaced the letters t, f, o and r on one side with a, n, e and r in black electrical tape. So she now had a scarf twice as wide that read 'Watford W**k**s' lol. She draped it over the barrier at the front of the Royal oak for quite a few games.

Watford in those days were to be despised. QPR, Fulham, Birmingham City - never entered our minds. Watford were the enemy. :sorted:
 

Your First Bees Game

In the season of 2003/2004 vs Grimsby in November 2003 when I was 7. I sat in the away seats and supported grimsby!(because everyone around was cheerig when they scored so i just went with the flo) Grimsby won 3-1
How did you end up in the away seats Tom :confused:?? Still, I can tell by your username that you are now a Bee and not a Mariner. Good to have such a comparatively recent first memory on this thread. Thanks for posting Tom :sorted:.
 

Your First Bees Game

28/08/1991

Brentford 3-1 Barnet, League Cup
5563
 

Your First Bees Game

28/08/1991

Brentford 3-1 Barnet, League Cup
5563

The evening the lights went out and the players took a brief half time on the pitch to make up for lost time! Three games with Barnet that season finishing 5-5, 3-1, 3-6 :eek:
 

Your First Bees Game

The evening the lights went out and the players took a brief half time on the pitch to make up for lost time! Three games with Barnet that season finishing 5-5, 3-1, 3-6 :eek:

Yep.

It wasn't just my first Brentford game but at the ripe old age of 20 it was my first ever 'proper' football match. It was the 1990 World Cup that got me into football. I often thank the Little God of Football that I went to Brentford to enjoy the live experience rather than becoming an armchair Premier Leaguer.
 

Your First Bees Game

The evening the lights went out and the players took a brief half time on the pitch to make up for lost time! Three games with Barnet that season finishing 5-5, 3-1, 3-6 :eek:
I was at all three of those games. Mad, mad times. Before the 5-5, the WannaBees had just played their first ever league match (home to York City? That might be wrong) and I can't remember if they won or lost but it finished up 7-3, or 7-4. Something ridiculous like that. Barry Fry was manager and was playing the 0-0-11 system rofl.
 

Your First Bees Game

v Chelmsford 1966. We won 1-0 from a John Docherty penalty. I was at the front of the Ealing road.
 

Your First Bees Game

I forgot to add that we were relegated in my first season. :sad:
 

Your First Bees Game

Barnet v Lincoln I think 4-7 ?
 
Back
Top Bottom