Another Manager Poll

Who Should Be the Latest Next Manager?

  • Nicky Forster

    Votes: 139 27.0%
  • Gary Johnson

    Votes: 66 12.8%
  • Martin Allen

    Votes: 76 14.8%
  • Chris Hughton

    Votes: 47 9.1%
  • Steve Coppell

    Votes: 78 15.2%
  • Alan Curbishley

    Votes: 42 8.2%
  • Roberto di Matteo

    Votes: 82 16.0%
  • Paulo Sousa

    Votes: 10 1.9%
  • Dean Holdsworth

    Votes: 14 2.7%
  • Paul Buckle

    Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Keith Hill

    Votes: 10 1.9%
  • Jim Magilton

    Votes: 8 1.6%
  • Director of Football / Forster

    Votes: 126 24.5%
  • Someone Else (Please Add Name to Thread)

    Votes: 18 3.5%

  • Total voters
    514
Status
Not open for further replies.

Another Manager Poll

That's incorrect and presumably your opinion. There's a lot more to it, Coppell is a very private person who to the best of my knowldege has never gone public on his reasons for leaving Man City or Bristol City and I suspect never will while he's involved in football in any capacity.

It wasnt my opinion ,wiki says so ,if you read it hes walked many times
 

Another Manager Poll

Long time since he was in management. I think if he was genuine about wanting to get back into the game he would have done so before now. I'd be concerned about employing someone who hasn't managed for a few years. Anyway, Charlton will be looking for a new Manager soon and I would think if he wants a job that one would be his ! Its a No from me to AC (although as a mentor to NF he would be a good shout) . As for him costing £1.5m per year thats a joke surely. Whats the going rate for

an ex Premiership manager who has been out of the game as long as he has. Probably about 20% of your figure.
If you think we could get him for 300k then thats a coup and a half.WHU paid him 1.6mill p.a and 2.2mill in a pay off.All these managers have their price and thats what they look for,they are no different to players nowadays and there are some who employ agents.If he applied for the job you would stand a chance,but as we would probably approach him then thats where he states his price.Coppell wanted a million a year at BHA because that was what Reading paid him so they took on Russell Slade
 

Another Manager Poll

Just for the record Curbishley got WHU out of the sh*t and saved them from relegation.. Followed that up with a top ten finish the next season.. He left because the WHU board started selling players without bothering telling him.. Beebopalula is most probably right though, he wont take the step down to league one..

West Ham fans are grateful for him saving them from relegation, but regard the football during his time as unglamorous, whereas Pardew tried to get them to play the 'West Ham way,' i.e. almost got them relegated.
Also, if I remember rightly, Charlton tended to be very poor in cup competitions while he was manager.
He is a 'friend' of Andrew Mills from their time at Charlton.
If Sir Steve of Coppell wants to throw his hat into the ring, forget the rest. And he knows Nicky, I think, from when he was manager at Reading.
 

Another Manager Poll

I'm assuming that you and not Wikipedia offer the opinion "Steve has a habit of walking out though if he doesnt get his own way"

lets get an argument going ,the day is slow and warm . OOh ,look what Horshambee's just written


"Coppell wanted a million a year at BHA because that was what Reading paid him so they took on Russell Slade "

So I guess he walked ?
 

Another Manager Poll

lets get an argument going ,the day is slow and warm . OOh ,look what Horshambee's just written


"Coppell wanted a million a year at BHA because that was what Reading paid him so they took on Russell Slade "

So I guess he walked ?

No.He sat down.Tony Bloom had to walk away.So who do you want an arguement with then?
 

Another Manager Poll

If Sir Steve of Coppell wants to throw his hat into the ring, forget the rest. And he knows Nicky, I think, from when he was manager at Reading.

Not for £1m a year though - thanks for the tip off Horsham - thats a £1 at William Hill saved :phew:
 

Another Manager Poll

Curbs - stated on TV a while back that he still thinks he can do a job in the Premiershit.......and I think he initimated he wouldn't look at lower league teams.........can't remember what programme it was though!

As for Coppell - I'm a fan as well - only flaw was his tendancy not to use subs as he always said the best 11 is the stating 11...........would like him involved in a 'mentoring' capacity with NF/Warbs..
 

Another Manager Poll

Curbishley I would accept as new manager without hesitation and the same goes for Steve Coppell, sadly I can't see either coming here for various reasons, I know people come on this site and keep banging on about the end of hoofball and what excellent football is being played since the demise of Scott, personally I couldn't care less if the ball spends more time circling around mars during a game than it does on the pitch, AS LONG AS BRENTFORD WIN!!!, I'm sorry but thats all that matters to me, If there was a choice between winning every game next season 1-0 or end up mid table after playing attractive football all season I know which one I'd choose, if you take Nicky Forsters 17 games in charge it's been pretty hit and miss, a few good performances, a few indifferent ones and some absolute sh*te ones, is this the basis for a permanent appointment, I hope not.
 

Another Manager Poll

Curbishley I would accept as new manager without hesitation and the same goes for Steve Coppell, sadly I can't see either coming here for various reasons, I know people come on this site and keep banging on about the end of hoofball and what excellent football is being played since the demise of Scott, personally I couldn't care less if the ball spends more time circling around mars during a game than it does on the pitch, AS LONG AS BRENTFORD WIN!!!, I'm sorry but thats all that matters to me, If there was a choice between winning every game next season 1-0 or end up mid table after playing attractive football all season I know which one I'd choose, if you take Nicky Forsters 17 games in charge it's been pretty hit and miss, a few good performances, a few indifferent ones and some absolute sh*te ones, is this the basis for a permanent appointment, I hope not.

The odd season aside, we've played hoofball for as long as I've watched Brentford and look how far it's got us. Time for a completely new direction. We have it off the pitch and now we need it on the pitch.
 

Another Manager Poll

Curbishley I would accept as new manager without hesitation and the same goes for Steve Coppell, sadly I can't see either coming here for various reasons, I know people come on this site and keep banging on about the end of hoofball and what excellent football is being played since the demise of Scott, personally I couldn't care less if the ball spends more time circling around mars during a game than it does on the pitch, AS LONG AS BRENTFORD WIN!!!, I'm sorry but thats all that matters to me, If there was a choice between winning every game next season 1-0 or end up mid table after playing attractive football all season I know which one I'd choose, if you take Nicky Forsters 17 games in charge it's been pretty hit and miss, a few good performances, a few indifferent ones and some absolute sh*te ones, is this the basis for a permanent appointment, I hope not.

abee has set fire to your CV and your eyes should be bleeding due to his Vodoo doll
 

Another Manager Poll

Curbs - stated on TV a while back that he still thinks he can do a job in the Premiershit.......and I think he initimated he wouldn't look at lower league teams.........can't remember what programme it was though!

The longer he stays out, the less likely he'll be appointed.
Curbs problem is his success is associated with mainly one club. No one doubts his achievement, but the money awash in the Premiership usually attracts a more glamorous name than his.
 

Another Manager Poll

Curbishley I would accept as new manager without hesitation and the same goes for Steve Coppell, sadly I can't see either coming here for various reasons, I know people come on this site and keep banging on about the end of hoofball and what excellent football is being played since the demise of Scott, personally I couldn't care less if the ball spends more time circling around mars during a game than it does on the pitch, AS LONG AS BRENTFORD WIN!!!, I'm sorry but thats all that matters to me, If there was a choice between winning every game next season 1-0 or end up mid table after playing attractive football all season I know which one I'd choose, if you take Nicky Forsters 17 games in charge it's been pretty hit and miss, a few good performances, a few indifferent ones and some absolute sh*te ones, is this the basis for a permanent appointment, I hope not.

If the ball circles around Mars you won't win many at all. Hence the demise of Scott who couldn't see that success in this league now depends on playing football. Hoofball is finished and all the teams who are currently in the playoff mix are footballing sides. I think you underestimate Fozzy's achievement in turning things around. I didn't mind us losing to Brighton and Hudders as we played some terrific stuff and deserved more. If we had played hoofball against them we would have been buried out of site . Fozzy has taken things forward with a squad assembled by Scott and I hope he gets the job as he has as good a chance as any outsider of taking us forward next season. If someone had come in from outside and turned us around as Fozzy has , he'd be hailed as the next Messiah.
 

Another Manager Poll

Curbishley I would accept as new manager without hesitation and the same goes for Steve Coppell, sadly I can't see either coming here for various reasons, I know people come on this site and keep banging on about the end of hoofball and what excellent football is being played since the demise of Scott, personally I couldn't care less if the ball spends more time circling around mars during a game than it does on the pitch, AS LONG AS BRENTFORD WIN!!!, I'm sorry but thats all that matters to me, If there was a choice between winning every game next season 1-0 or end up mid table after playing attractive football all season I know which one I'd choose, if you take Nicky Forsters 17 games in charge it's been pretty hit and miss, a few good performances, a few indifferent ones and some absolute sh*te ones, is this the basis for a permanent appointment, I hope not.

but most of the players he took over from scott - not his choices. he has done b****y well with what he has to work with!
 

Another Manager Poll

What will Fozzy do if he doesnt get the gig? Surely he cant go back to playing?
 

Another Manager Poll

If you think we could get him for 300k then thats a coup and a half.WHU paid him 1.6mill p.a and 2.2mill in a pay off.All these managers have their price and thats what they look for,they are no different to players nowadays and there are some who employ agents.If he applied for the job you would stand a chance,but as we would probably approach him then thats where he states his price.Coppell wanted a million a year at BHA because that was what Reading paid him so they took on Russell Slade

Hmm, your story doesn't really stack up with the facts - have you considered a career as a stockbroker? From what I've managed to find on the interweb, it seems Slade was appointed Brighton manager in March 2009 some 2 months prior to Coppell resigning from Reading after failing to gain promotion back to the Premiership. Tony Bloom began pumping funds (c. £80m) into Brighton from May 2009 onwards, now of course they could have approached Coppell after that while Slade was at the helm and given the amount of funds they had at their disposal could quite easily have met his wage demands I would wager.
 

Another Manager Poll

The odd season aside, we've played hoofball for as long as I've watched Brentford and look how far it's got us. Time for a completely new direction. We have it off the pitch and now we need it on the pitch.

Didn't we last try the passing game in 2006? :fishing:


I've made a decision once and for all about the next manager. I don't care who he is, as long as he's...... Scottish. That's right. Look at who the best managers are. You can't go wrong with a Scots manager. :sorted:
 

Another Manager Poll

What will Fozzy do if he doesnt get the gig? Surely he cant go back to playing?

It's a good point, he has acquitted himself very well IMHO and may well want to continue at the helm elsewhere. I hope he's here in some capacity next season
 

Another Manager Poll

Hmm, your story doesn't really stack up with the facts - have you considered a career as a stockbroker? From what I've managed to find on the interweb, it seems Slade was appointed Brighton manager in March 2009 some 2 months prior to Coppell resigning from Reading after failing to gain promotion back to the Premiership. Tony Bloom began pumping funds (c. £80m) into Brighton from May 2009 onwards, now of course they could have approached Coppell after that while Slade was at the helm and given the amount of funds they had at their disposal could quite easily have met his wage demands I would wager.

Most of that 80 mill was set aside for the new stadium and as far as im aware it was after Slades departure.Yes i agree he could afford that salary,but was not prepared to pay it.Same as he wanted a Premier League striker who wasnt getting a game for his club ,but demanded 40k a week.Mr Bloom could afford that to, but wouldnt pay it.Most stockbrokers live in Surrey and im happy in Sussex so no to that job.Happy being a cabbie.Do you think Bobby Zamora will ever play for BHA again?
 

Another Manager Poll

According the the Daily mirror roberto di matteo is being lined up as our next manager
 

Another Manager Poll

well, being invited for an interview - not quite the same thing:

from the mirror: and i quote:


Roberto Di Matteo is being lined up for a shock return to management at League One Brentford.

Di Matteo, sacked by West Brom in February, has been invited for an interview by the Griffin Park board at the end of the season.

The Italian will be competing with current boss Nicky Forster, who has been in charge since Andy Scott was axed in February.

Former Chelsea midfielder Di Matteo still has a house in London and is no stranger to League One having led MK Dons into the play-offs two years ago.
 

Another Manager Poll

So no decision until end of season, which makes Sense especially if it is not to be NF
 

Another Manager Poll

It makes perfect sense for Di Matteo to be "invited for an interview"... I think we all could have guessed that, given his past record in our league and West London connections, AM would contact him. It would be more interesting to learn if he actually responded to the invitation... I wonder if Mr Mills has noted anyone accessing his voice-mails! Still, the Marvellous Mirror is never wrong, is it?
 

Another Manager Poll

It makes perfect sense for Di Matteo to be "invited for an interview"... I think we all could have guessed that, given his past record in our league and West London connections, AM would contact him. It would be more interesting to learn if he actually responded to the invitation... I wonder if Mr Mills has noted anyone accessing his voice-mails! Still, the Marvellous Mirror is never wrong, is it?

Again, like Cirbs etc I can't see Di Matteo taking the drop to League 1 nor us paying the salary he'd want. Quite frankly, if we've got significant cash to pay a high salary to Di M, I'd rather the money went on getting a class midfield player/striker under Fozzy.
 

Another Manager Poll

Again, like Cirbs etc I can't see Di Matteo taking the drop to League 1 nor us paying the salary he'd want. Quite frankly, if we've got significant cash to pay a high salary to Di M, I'd rather the money went on getting a class midfield player/striker under Fozzy.

What if the plan was to pay the going rate for a top earner as a manager who has bought in MB's vision for the future plus a class midfielder or two thrown in?
 

Another Manager Poll

I've ruled that out cos of cost but maybe I'm too used to austerity after so long. That would be remarkable and require MB to inject a bigger cash flow.Could it happen?
 

Another Manager Poll

I've ruled that out cos of cost but maybe I'm too used to austerity after so long. That would be remarkable and require MB to inject a bigger cash flow.Could it happen?

Just look at what AS wasted this season. £400k for a top manager out of that £3.6ish mill budget would've been quite acceptable and easily accommodated. £3 mill on players wages and management would be a good budget still! We have Wasted a season.
 

Another Manager Poll

I've ruled that out cos of cost but maybe I'm too used to austerity after so long. That would be remarkable and require MB to inject a bigger cash flow.Could it happen?

I think that MB has big plans for us, why throw all this money into an academy to develop home grown players and not have a first team and manager up to scratch. I believe that some important lessons have been learnt by mistakes this season, you need the right man spending the money for example, you also need the right players for the dollar being spent.
 

Another Manager Poll

Again, like Cirbs etc I can't see Di Matteo taking the drop to League 1 nor us paying the salary he'd want. Quite frankly, if we've got significant cash to pay a high salary to Di M, I'd rather the money went on getting a class midfield player/striker under Fozzy.

Looking at Di Matteo's record he only had 52 games in our league lost to S****horpe in play offs(would suit us then)52% win ratio not that excited about him,would rather stick with what we got.Maybe people are thinking of the player not the manager.
 

Another Manager Poll

It makes perfect sense for Di Matteo to be "invited for an interview"... I think we all could have guessed that, given his past record in our league and West London connections, AM would contact him. It would be more interesting to learn if he actually responded to the invitation...
:imwith:

It's a total non-article
 

Another Manager Poll

Just look at what AS wasted this season. £400k for a top manager out of that £3.6ish mill budget would've been quite acceptable and easily accommodated. £3 mill on players wages and management would be a good budget still! We have Wasted a season.


Your right. Thanks for nothing AS.
 

Another Manager Poll

Looking at Di Matteo's record he only had 52 games in our league lost to S****horpe in play offs(would suit us then)52% win ratio not that excited about him,would rather stick with what we got.Maybe people are thinking of the player not the manager.

Disagree. Getting Di Matteo would be a hell of a coup. He got a team promoted to the Premiership playing great football and was a doing a decent job there. Undecided about renewing my season tickey ATM but definitely would if we got him, it would be a real statement of intent.
 

Another Manager Poll

I've been a Coppell fans for ages, I get the impression that he won't be our next manager which is a shame. When he talks he says very little but uses a fair few words IMO, however I always felt compelled to listen and pretty satisfied with what he had to say. He comes across as a humble guy with a small ego, that would be refreshing after the past few seasons, the tactical mastery wouldn't go amiss too.

From what I've heard his heart wasn't in it at Bristol City.
 

Another Manager Poll

I just cannot see Matteo coming to little old Brentford. Nicky has done a very decent job considering he's been trying to get the team playing proper football. I think he'll do very well if he can bring in players who CAN play the style of football he believes in. The big question is can we afford to offload some of Scott's awful signings ?
 

Another Manager Poll

44 pages later and we have narrowed it down to:

Forster
Coppell
Di Matteo

With a definite no to Hoothroyd……….
 

Another Manager Poll

Grrrrr, why is that then. Some people need to have faith !!
All it says is that we want him to come in for an interview at the end of the season. They might as well write an article headlined "Brentford linked with Mourinho"!
 

Another Manager Poll

I just cannot see Matteo coming to little old Brentford. Nicky has done a very decent job considering he's been trying to get the team playing proper football. I think he'll do very well if he can bring in players who CAN play the style of football he believes in. The big question is can we afford to offload some of Scott's awful signings ?

But if he did want to come to 'little old Brentford'? They may be different from permanent players but I've been less than impressed with any of Forster's loan signings. He's brough the likes of Reed, Byrne and Schlupp in and they've all made a minimal impact before losing their places again to Bean, Grabban, O'Connor etc.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom