Another Manager Poll

Who Should Be the Latest Next Manager?

  • Nicky Forster

    Votes: 139 27.0%
  • Gary Johnson

    Votes: 66 12.8%
  • Martin Allen

    Votes: 76 14.8%
  • Chris Hughton

    Votes: 47 9.1%
  • Steve Coppell

    Votes: 78 15.2%
  • Alan Curbishley

    Votes: 42 8.2%
  • Roberto di Matteo

    Votes: 82 16.0%
  • Paulo Sousa

    Votes: 10 1.9%
  • Dean Holdsworth

    Votes: 14 2.7%
  • Paul Buckle

    Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Keith Hill

    Votes: 10 1.9%
  • Jim Magilton

    Votes: 8 1.6%
  • Director of Football / Forster

    Votes: 126 24.5%
  • Someone Else (Please Add Name to Thread)

    Votes: 18 3.5%

  • Total voters
    514
Status
Not open for further replies.

Another Manager Poll

Looking at Di Matteo's record he only had 52 games in our league lost to S****horpe in play offs(would suit us then)52% win ratio not that excited about him,would rather stick with what we got.Maybe people are thinking of the player not the manager.

I'm rather excited about Di Matteo :banana: He is the type of manager we need to progress IMO. Sticking with NF is not progressing.

From what I've heard his heart wasn't in it at Bristol City.

mmmmm!! ;)

Grrrrr, why is that then. Some people need to have faith !!

I agree! Some people! :banghead:

44 pages later and we have narrowed it down to:

Forster
Coppell
Di Matteo

With a definite no to Hoothroyd……….

When does the GPG Interview team start the process then? :D
 

Another Manager Poll

Disagree. Getting Di Matteo would be a hell of a coup. He got a team promoted to the Premiership playing great football and was a doing a decent job there. Undecided about renewing my season tickey ATM but definitely would if we got him, it would be a real statement of intent.

:imwith:

He fits the bill in every way - and would massively raise our profile to boot.
 

Another Manager Poll

I've ruled that out cos of cost...
While I think the Mirror is just filling up the space between the advertising for compensation claim firms, I can't see how you can make this judgement. We have lots of posters supporting managers who have done well on low budgets at small clubs but is our ambition only to do a bit better than them?

We have good executive management, a stable financial footing, an 'angel' with some vision for the future and a potential new stadium. Contrary to popular belief, the core squad is not too bad. For a new manager, buying into the vision of a steady build to a sustainable Championship club has got to be an attractive proposition. It's not all about money, you know.
 

Another Manager Poll

Not sure about Di Matteo, high profile manager means more pressure, i would prefer us to be under the radar until Feb and then home in on promotion coming to the forfront about this time next season (ideal world perhaps). He hasnt done that well really has he? WBA and MK Dons were in decent positions when he took over and are still in decent positions now he has gone, which suggests to me those clubs were stable and almost bound to have relative success providing they got a half decent manager, which makes you wonder is Di Matteo just a half decent manager? I dont know. If he gets the job good luck to him, he must have some good contacts which would be a major benefit of him getting the job. The fact an Ex Prem manager is being semi seriously considered for the job must mean that this club is heading in the right direction. He wouldnt consider most L1 clubs surely because i doubt they could "match his ambition" glad that we potentially can.
 

Another Manager Poll

I'm rather excited about Di Matteo :banana: He is the type of manager we need to progress IMO. Sticking with NF is not progressing.



NF/MW replacing AS/TB has progressed us,Di Matteo would be a bigger gamble imho than in keeping the present management team.I think he will follow the same path as Ince.
 

Another Manager Poll

Few comments on here about Di Matteo, add my opinion...
His success at WBA could be argued to have been due to the squad he had, in my opinion if WBA didnt go up then it would have been a crime, there squad that season was far better than any other in the championship, so success was bound to happen for him then, however he did take them up playing passing-football and thats what makes me like him. We have had too many years of hoofball, and I just want a manager who will swap hoofball for passing football.
Despite his success he is a gamble... would be expensive too.
 

Another Manager Poll

I'm rather excited about Di Matteo :banana: He is the type of manager we need to progress IMO. Sticking with NF is not progressing.



NF/MW replacing AS/TB has progressed us,Di Matteo would be a bigger gamble imho than in keeping the present management team.I think he will follow the same path as Ince.

No way. Di Matteo's teams cannot be compared to Ince's in any way, shape or form.
 

Another Manager Poll

Mr Benn, Di Matteo would put us on a different scale to the current team, he would have the ability to attract very good players due to his footballing beliefs.
 

Another Manager Poll

Mr Benn, Di Matteo would put us on a different scale to the current team, he would have the ability to attract very good players due to his footballing beliefs.

You can call me Bill if you like:sorted:,How do you know NF/MW can't achieve the same.
 

Another Manager Poll

You can call me Bill if you like:sorted:,How do you know NF/MW can't achieve the same.

Bill, maybe they will, but we have just wasted one precious season of Mr Benhams money, I firmly believe we can land a far better calibre of manager, willing to take on this project, and just don't think NF/MW will have the ability to take it all on. We need, and can do better.
 

Another Manager Poll

Di Matteo would be a massive appointment. Only Coppell would be more impressive and bigger statement of intent. Forster might be a good manager one day, but he is not the man to take BFC forward right now and it wouldn't be fair to expect him to.

Exciting times, if Di Matteo is the calibre of man we're looking at. So we've only 'invited him to interview' but we wouldn't have even been in a position to do that. Thank you Mr Benham.
 

Another Manager Poll

Exciting times, if Di Matteo is the calibre of man we're looking at. So we've only 'invited him to interview' but we wouldn't have even been in a position to do that. Thank you Mr Benham.

This true? Matteo come to GP for interview?
 

Another Manager Poll

Bill, maybe they will, but we have just wasted one precious season of Mr Benhams money, I firmly believe we can land a far better calibre of manager, willing to take on this project, and just don't think NF/MW will have the ability to take it all on. We need, and can do better.

Yes its been a complete waste of season and if Mr. Benham decides Di Matteo is the man for the job l will back him all the way.I would like to see the club sign a better manager than NF trouble is l can't come up with a realistic name.I have every confidence in Mr Benham and the board in getting this appointment right.
 

Another Manager Poll

What if the plan was to pay the going rate for a top earner as a manager who has bought in MB's vision for the future plus a class midfielder or two thrown in?

I might be wrong but the more I read and hear it seems that MB is very serious about project BFC and I hope people might be pleasantly shocked by the amount of investment that he is willing to make to achieve his ambitions. If the stories about the sport relief donations are true, did I see something like £30M donated over three years?, then I think he has much deeper pockets than a lot of people perhaps appreciate.

Me thinks exciting times ahead.
 

Another Manager Poll

people might be pleasantly shocked by the amount of investment that he is willing to make...
MB's "investment" plans for the club are well documented, BFC must have a sustainable future. I doubt that there will be many shocks at all; he's not a Brooks Mileson and he's not Gordon Brown, no boom-and-bust for us.
 

Another Manager Poll

Regarding Di Matteo, my main concern would be that he would use us to re-establish himself and then if successful would be limked to Championship clubs after Xmas. Of course you could say this is true of all managers, but he has a proven track record of getting a club into the Premiership.
 

Another Manager Poll

BFC must have a sustainable future. .

That's what worries me. To be sustainable in Championship, even with a new ground bringing in other income, we'd need crowds regularly over 10k, and I see no sign of progress in that direction

Back to the manager, Di Matteo certainly got his team playing attractive football (but was less effective in organising his defence), and it would be a sign of ambition to get him, but there's no guarantee of him getting more out of Lge 1 players than Forster could - would not be an easy choice, and I imagine there are other candidates
 

Another Manager Poll

That's what worries me. To be sustainable in Championship, even with a new ground bringing in other income, we'd need crowds regularly over 10k, and I see no sign of progress in that direction

The appointment of Di Matteo may go some way to addressing that but I'm not sure how long the excitement over his "name" would last.
 

Another Manager Poll

MB's "investment" plans for the club are well documented, BFC must have a sustainable future. I doubt that there will be many shocks at all; he's not a Brooks Mileson and he's not Gordon Brown, no boom-and-bust for us.

Common sense but our current playing budget has no relation to our pants crowds, this sort of budget is completely unsustainable by bums on seats. I'm ready to be shocked and will be shocked if I am not shocked TBH.;)
 

Another Manager Poll

I would love to get Di Matteo even for a season, I really do think that with MB's involvement we are being recognized as a 'sleeping big guy' not giant but everything must be good for people like Wenger etc to loan what a lot of these teams have seen as 1st team material
Like others I await with interest, please BFC give the ST holders a belief in renewing next season
 

Another Manager Poll

Difficult call, certainly DeMateo or Coppell show a sign of intent from the club, however despite the investment from MB we still have to find a way to "balance the books" and I worry that a high impact name may well attract players who want a high impact wedge. It is a difficult balancing act for the board and MB, we must support the obvious ambition but at the same time be aware of the financial impact this ambition might cause if we are agin to be unsuccesful.

The added problem relates to the existing playing squad and the length of time their contracts have to run which means we are committed to a significant number of the existing squad and quite frankly whilst they are good L1 players they are not of the calibre required to maintain a constant challenge at the top of the table and then continue in a higher division.

On that argument alone a prudent course of action might be to allow NF to have the ggf for 12 months to see just what he can acheive with a mix of the existing squad plus new signings and prepare a battle plan for the end of teh forthcoming season when contracts are up and we can really go for it. If in the interim NF shows that he can do the job and quite possibly succeed then the board can review the situation in Jan.

Diffficult questions for the board and MB to consider, I hope for a season of highs next year rather than teh wasted season this however at the same time I would settle for decent football and a mid table finish next term irf I was confident that the following year we will throw the proverbial kitchen sink at it.
 

Another Manager Poll

Diffficult questions for the board and MB to consider, I hope for a season of highs next year rather than teh wasted season this however at the same time I would settle for decent football and a mid table finish next term irf I was confident that the following year we will throw the proverbial kitchen sink at it.

This may seem like the sensible thing to do but it will regularly see our crowds dropping below 4,000. We can't have another season of mid-table mediocrity.
 

Another Manager Poll

On that argument alone a prudent course of action might be to allow NF to have the ggf for 12 months to see just what he can acheive with a mix of the existing squad plus new signings and prepare a battle plan for the end of teh forthcoming season when contracts are up and we can really go for it. If in the interim NF shows that he can do the job and quite possibly succeed then the board can review the situation in Jan.

If you're purely looking at risk, appointing a man who's never managed a budget before is hardly prudent - prudent would be appointing someone like Keith Hill, Gary Johnson and any other decent lower league manager. Ambitious means looking beyond that and it seems that's what Brentford are trying to be. Whether people like Di Matteo share that confidence remains to be seen.
 

Another Manager Poll

I think this is brilliant, not so long ago we were linked with Peter Shirtliff, Chris Wilder, Andy Hes and Leroy etc or anyone else who was out of work , now we get attached to bigger names and stamp out rumours about Hoofroyd and we've still got some people that aren't sure if we are heading in the right direction.:D
 

Another Manager Poll

I think this is brilliant, not so long ago we were linked with Peter Shirtliff, Chris Wilder, Andy Hes and Leroy etc or anyone else who was out of work , now we get attached to bigger names and stamp out rumours about Hoofroyd and we've still got some people that aren't sure if we are heading in the right direction.:D

.... if they accept. We have of course had previous experiences of having to dig deeper into the barrel that we had wanted to.
 

Another Manager Poll

.... if they accept. We have of course had previous experiences of having to dig deeper into the barrel that we had wanted to.

I don't think anything is done and whether they accept or not we mustn't get greedy with the hopes for the future. I don't get the "we're end up with Stimson" posts and nor do I understand why anyone is slightly underwhelmed that we are being linked with Di Matteo, if we end up nearer the Di Matteo speculation then I will be happy and thankful.
 

Another Manager Poll

I don't think anything is done and whether they accept or not we mustn't get greedy with the hopes for the future. I don't get the "we're end up with Stimson" posts and nor do I understand why anyone is slightly underwhelmed that we are being linked with Di Matteo, if we end up nearer the Di Matteo speculation then I will be happy and thankful.

It seems certain that the least we'll get is manager with a half decent lower league track record ..... or Forster. It will be interesting to see if we can do better than that - exciting times! I still have this hope that this time next year I'll feel like a Brighton supporter - albeit with a tighter ring piece.
 

Another Manager Poll

I don't think anything is done and whether they accept or not we mustn't get greedy with the hopes for the future. I don't get the "we're end up with Stimson" posts and nor do I understand why anyone is slightly underwhelmed that we are being linked with Di Matteo, if we end up nearer the Di Matteo speculation then I will be happy and thankful.

with Julian Alsop as player coach ?? :fishing:
 

Another Manager Poll

is this "invitation to interview" the "development" bbc's mark chappers was talking about?
 

Another Manager Poll

He's been invited for an interview, that's all.
His experience of league management is limited. He's a name, just like Terry Butcher was when he came to us.
He took over a well-developed MK Dons side and didn't get them promoted.
And he's a friend of Dennis Wise.

:scratch:...Don't know about this one. Think I'd prefer Keith Hill. Would definitley prefer Sir Steve Coppell or Curbs.
 

Another Manager Poll

Di Matteo will be a massive appointment and will transform the way we play. Eddie Newton as assistant and Nicky Forster somewhere in the backroom staff will grab my vote. :banana:
 

Another Manager Poll

I'm not convinced that a Keith Hill type is not a huge risk. There are managers that do a great job with a small group of players and no budget, like Eddie Howe or even MA, creating a bond and a siege mentality. I'm unconvinced that they are guaranteed to translate into the big world.
 

Another Manager Poll

If you're purely looking at risk, appointing a man who's never managed a budget before is hardly prudent - prudent would be appointing someone like Keith Hill, Gary Johnson and any other decent lower league manager. Ambitious means looking beyond that and it seems that's what Brentford are trying to be. Whether people like Di Matteo share that confidence remains to be seen.

Di Matteo is a no brainer as far as I am concerned - he would be an absolutely fantastic appointment. Great football, excellent contacts, high profile!! However, unlike others on here, I wouldn't spend the close season sulking if Nicky is appointed
 

Another Manager Poll

Di Matteo will be a massive appointment and will transform the way we play. Eddie Newton as assistant and Nicky Forster somewhere in the backroom staff will grab my vote. :banana:

would be, not will be --- you are jumping the gun.

if i was foz and offered 'something in the backroom' as number three i would tell the club what to do.
 

Another Manager Poll

Di Matteo is a no brainer as far as I am concerned - he would be an absolutely fantastic appointment. Great football, excellent contacts, high profile!! However, unlike others on here, I wouldn't spend the close season sulking if Nicky is appointed
I can imagine him to play like Brighton have played under Poyet this season as well as having contacts still at Chelsea to possibly secure some loan deals.
 

Another Manager Poll

would be, not will be --- you are jumping the gun.

if i was foz and offered 'something in the backroom' as number three i would tell the club what to do.

Er, so would I. "Give me a chance to build up my coaching skills behind the scenes, then I'll take over in 5 years and lead us to our first European Cup." :yes:
 

Another Manager Poll

Di Matteo is a no brainer as far as I am concerned - he would be an absolutely fantastic appointment. Great football, excellent contacts, high profile!! However, unlike others on here, I wouldn't spend the close season sulking if Nicky is appointed
I wont be sulking, I'll just be incredulous at the appointment of another rookie manager, I did not want Andy Scott appointed in the first place and felt he should have been shown the door along with that cretin Butcher but to give him his due he stopped the slide out of the football league and got us out of league 2 at his first attempt followed by a respectable 9th placing in league 1 but the lack of experience began to show in his 2nd season in League 1 and he totally lost the plot, we're just going down the same road if NF is appointed on a full time basis how anyone, supporter or God forbid somebody actually involved in the actual appointment can have this "Give him a go and see how he gets on" attitude over anyone with proven managerial experience is beyond me, I wouldn't even bring this sort of judgement to the saturday morning under 9's team.
 

Another Manager Poll

I wont be sulking, I'll just be incredulous at the appointment of another rookie manager, I did not want Andy Scott appointed in the first place and felt he should have been shown the door along with that cretin Butcher but to give him his due he stopped the slide out of the football league and got us out of league 2 at his first attempt followed by a respectable 9th placing in league 1 but the lack of experience began to show in his 2nd season in League 1 and he totally lost the plot, we're just going down the same road if NF is appointed on a full time basis how anyone, supporter or God forbid somebody actually involved in the actual appointment can have this "Give him a go and see how he gets on" attitude over anyone with proven managerial experience is beyond me, I wouldn't even bring this sort of judgement to the saturday morning under 9's team.

If appointing Forster is "going down the same road" as Scott and involves a promotion followed by stabilisation in the league above, you certainly wouldn't get any complaints from me!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom