Another Manager Poll

Who Should Be the Latest Next Manager?

  • Nicky Forster

    Votes: 139 27.0%
  • Gary Johnson

    Votes: 66 12.8%
  • Martin Allen

    Votes: 76 14.8%
  • Chris Hughton

    Votes: 47 9.1%
  • Steve Coppell

    Votes: 78 15.2%
  • Alan Curbishley

    Votes: 42 8.2%
  • Roberto di Matteo

    Votes: 82 16.0%
  • Paulo Sousa

    Votes: 10 1.9%
  • Dean Holdsworth

    Votes: 14 2.7%
  • Paul Buckle

    Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Keith Hill

    Votes: 10 1.9%
  • Jim Magilton

    Votes: 8 1.6%
  • Director of Football / Forster

    Votes: 126 24.5%
  • Someone Else (Please Add Name to Thread)

    Votes: 18 3.5%

  • Total voters
    514
Status
Not open for further replies.

Another Manager Poll

That has surprised me, I must say.


Approx 10 days Geoff. Nothing was cast in stone.
Sounds as though the new guy is still in work, so negotiations will be at an advanced stage very soon.
 

Another Manager Poll

Didn't hear the half time announcement or whatever was said, but would I be right in saying we have decided on who the new manager is however they are either still in a job/ under contract but everything should be sorted within 10 days? If thats how it is I can't see any problem with that at all.

I do not undertand all this its unfair or harsh on Forster at all. Our form over the last 10 games puts us 12th. I cannot see how he is any improvement on Scott. Fair enough they are not 'his' players but AS had the same players (minus Schlupp and a few extra loanees) and took us to a similar position in the table. And TBH it is likely that all the loan signings are through the breadmans connections and hopefully he will be with the club next season regardless.

Buckle, Hill and Di Matteo would all be good appointments IMO. I trust the board will make the right decision.
 

Another Manager Poll

Didn't hear the half time announcement or whatever was said, but would I be right in saying we have decided on who the new manager is however they are either still in a job/ under contract but everything should be sorted within 10 days? If thats how it is I can't see any problem with that at all.

I do not undertand all this its unfair or harsh on Forster at all. Our form over the last 10 games puts us 12th. I cannot see how he is any improvement on Scott. Fair enough they are not 'his' players but AS had the same players (minus Schlupp and a few extra loanees) and took us to a similar position in the table. And TBH it is likely that all the loan signings are through the breadmans connections and hopefully he will be with the club next season regardless.

Buckle, Hill and Di Matteo would all be good appointments IMO. I trust the board will make the right decision.

I think to be fair that you underestimate Fozzy's achievement. He was called off the training ground as a player on a thursday and put in the manager's chair. No pre season, no time to plan, no opportunity to get his own team together. He certainly has achieved far more than AS. OK the season before last we finished in the same position more or less but this season AS took us to within 2 points of the drop zone with his 'new' squad and the team and its morale were shot. Fozzy hauled us back and changed the style. I'd like Fozzy to get the job but if he doesn't, I'll be well annoyed if we get an underwhelming appointment.
 

Another Manager Poll

I imagine if it is anyone in a job the conversation would have gone something like this.

Andrew Mills: Hello is that the CEO of <club>
Joe Bloggs: Yes
AM: It's Andrew Mills, CEO of BFC. We'd like your manager to become manager at BFC and can we discuss compensation terms?
JB: No. We wouldn't consider any offer until the end of the season and we don't want him to go anyway.
AM: We'll talk then, thank you.
 

Another Manager Poll

10 days surely rules out buckle as the play offs (which Torquay are in) surely won't be over by then? Or will they?
 

Another Manager Poll

I imagine if it is anyone in a job the conversation would have gone something like this.

Andrew Mills: Hello is that the CEO of <club>
Joe Bloggs: Yes
AM: It's Andrew Mills, CEO of BFC. We'd like your manager to become manager at BFC and can we discuss compensation terms?
JB: No. We wouldn't consider any offer until the end of the season and we don't want him to go anyway.
AM: We'll talk then, thank you.

How about,

Gino are the rumours that you snidey cheating gits are getting rid of Colin true as we'll take him
 

Another Manager Poll

I think to be fair that you underestimate Fozzy's achievement. He was called off the training ground as a player on a thursday and put in the manager's chair. No pre season, no time to plan, no opportunity to get his own team together. He certainly has achieved far more than AS. OK the season before last we finished in the same position more or less but this season AS took us to within 2 points of the drop zone with his 'new' squad and the team and its morale were shot. Fozzy hauled us back and changed the style. I'd like Fozzy to get the job but if he doesn't, I'll be well annoyed if we get an underwhelming appointment.

Totally agree.

I also find it incomprehensible that (if true) we have made no official approach for this candidate. What if his present employers just say no, where the hell are we left then?

Feel for Fozzy tonight, guessing the players are too.
 

Another Manager Poll

I think to be fair that you underestimate Fozzy's achievement. He was called off the training ground as a player on a thursday and put in the manager's chair. No pre season, no time to plan, no opportunity to get his own team together. He certainly has achieved far more than AS. OK the season before last we finished in the same position more or less but this season AS took us to within 2 points of the drop zone with his 'new' squad and the team and its morale were shot. Fozzy hauled us back and changed the style. I'd like Fozzy to get the job but if he doesn't, I'll be well annoyed if we get an underwhelming appointment.

Fair point. But if you think about it (regardless of your opinion of him personally or whether your think he 'lost' the dressing room or whatever else) we sacked a manager who saved us from relegation, won the league, stablised us in 9th, got us to the semis of the JPT and was a minute away from are best ever performance in the league cup. To then appoint a complete rookie to replace him who in his 22 games in charge has produced the form of a team in a mid table position. I cannot see any logic what so ever in anybody that would be disappointed in NF not getting the job over people like Hill, Buckle or Di Matteo.

If I got a job on an interim basis in a role I had never had experience in and after my agreed inital contract period was up I lost out on the position full time to someone who had much more experience and a record of success in the role, I would have no issue with that what so ever. It is hardly unfair in anyway.
 

Another Manager Poll

Fair point. But if you think about it (regardless of your opinion of him personally or whether your think he 'lost' the dressing room or whatever else) we sacked a manager who saved us from relegation, won the league, stablised us in 9th, got us to the semis of the JPT and was a minute away from are best ever performance in the league cup. To then appoint a complete rookie to replace him who in his 22 games in charge has produced the form of a team in a mid table position. I cannot see any logic what so ever in anybody that would be disappointed in NF not getting the job over people like Hill, Buckle or Di Matteo.

If I got a job on an interim basis in a role I had never had experience in and after my agreed inital contract period was up I lost out on the position full time to someone who had much more experience and a record of success in the role, I would have no issue with that what so ever. It is hardly unfair in anyway.

Your last 3 sentences are key and I agree with you.. My point being, OK if Fozzy doesn't get it, it had better be someone with the credentials you set out. I hope so.
 

Another Manager Poll

Didn't go today but hope the fans who did gave NF and MW a good reception as they deserve it for what they have achieved during there time in charge of what is a poor squad.Would not be dissappointed if they get the job full time as apart from coppell Hill or Hoddle there has not been any names that impress me that have been mentioned on this thread.Also how much of a long shot are those 3?
 

Another Manager Poll

Fair point. But if you think about it (regardless of your opinion of him personally or whether your think he 'lost' the dressing room or whatever else) we sacked a manager who saved us from relegation, won the league, stablised us in 9th, got us to the semis of the JPT and was a minute away from are best ever performance in the league cup. To then appoint a complete rookie to replace him who in his 22 games in charge has produced the form of a team in a mid table position. I cannot see any logic what so ever in anybody that would be disappointed in NF not getting the job over people like Hill, Buckle or Di Matteo.



Typical Scott loving drivel. We sacked a manager who had lost the crowd, team and eventually the board, as much as AS is lauded with saving us from the conference, Nicky saved the dross Scott team from League 2.

At the same time we started playing some actual football and the team and supporters started enjoying it again.

Brentford better thank Nicky well for this, he has given up a lot for us, where is he left now?

This new manager better be worth the wait, if we get him!?
If I got a job on an interim basis in a role I had never had experience in and after my agreed inital contract period was up I lost out on the position full time to someone who had much more experience and a record of success in the role, I would have no issue with that what so ever. It is hardly unfair in anyway.
 

Another Manager Poll

Your last 3 sentences are key and I agree with you.. My point being, OK if Fozzy doesn't get it, it had better be someone with the credentials you set out. I hope so.

Yeah exactly. If some like Holdsworth, Warburton or Inglethorpe got the job it would be unfair of Nicky. But some people on here have said how they feel sorry for Nicky and that perhaps its unfair on him when they don't even know whos got the job.
 

Another Manager Poll

Typical Scott loving drivel. We sacked a manager who had lost the crowd, team and eventually the board, as much as AS is lauded with saving us from the conference, Nicky saved the dross Scott team from League 2.

At the same time we started playing some actual football and the team and supporters started enjoying it again.

Brentford better thank Nicky well for this, he has given up a lot for us, where is he left now?

You read what you want to read Davee :nono:. There is no Scott love in on my behalf, believe me. If you read my post I have clearly stated facts and my arguement is completley logical. We got rid of a manager who was a rookie when he joined us and after some initiall sucess lost the fans and the standard of football detiriated. Why would we take the risk on another rookie when another manager with a proven track record is available. That is my point, you reading into it as a Scott 'love in' is either something to do with your own personal issues with Andy or you are looking for a bite for whatever reason.

In your opinion Davee, is there is no other manager that we have been linked with that you think would do a better job than Forster?
 

Another Manager Poll

Typical Scott loving drivel. We sacked a manager who had lost the crowd, team and eventually the board, as much as AS is lauded with saving us from the conference, Nicky saved the dross Scott team from League 2.

What utter drivel you speak. :rolleyes: If you'd bothered to read the post properly instead of immediately jumping when you thought someone was giving Scott credit, you'd have realised that it was actually nothing to do with lauding the previous manager's achievements but a very reasoned argument as to why NF shouldn't be awarded the job.
 

Another Manager Poll

You read what you want to read Davee :nono:. There is no Scott love in on my behalf, believe me. If you read my post I have clearly stated facts and my arguement is completley logical. We got rid of a manager who was a rookie when he joined us and after some initiall sucess lost the fans and the standard of football detiriated. Why would we take the risk on another rookie when another manager with a proven track record is available. That is my point, you reading into it as a Scott 'love in' is either something to do with your own personal issues with Andy or you are looking for a bite for whatever reason.

In your opinion Davee, is there is no other manager that we have been linked with that you think would do a better job than Forster?

Dunno, completely depends on the candidate, I'm just saying that Fozzy deserves some recognition for doing a very decent job, and his replacement better be a lot more exciting than say, Buckle.
 

Another Manager Poll

What utter drivel you speak. :rolleyes: If you'd bothered to read the post properly instead of immediately jumping when you thought someone was giving Scott credit, you'd have realised that it was actually nothing to do with lauding the previous manager's achievements but a very reasoned argument as to why NF shouldn't be awarded the job.

No, it's the typical selective list of Scott's best moments, ignoring all the utter sh*te he put us through, it's not a balanced argument.
As mad as Andy's logic.
 

Another Manager Poll

Forster was asked when he took over to arrest the slide and get us to Wembley - he did that and was appointed until the end of the season (with the requirement of getting us to as high a position as possible). Is he the man to lead us to promotion? That I'm not sure of
 

Another Manager Poll

I think to be fair that you underestimate Fozzy's achievement. He was called off the training ground as a player on a thursday and put in the manager's chair. No pre season, no time to plan, no opportunity to get his own team together. He certainly has achieved far more than AS. OK the season before last we finished in the same position more or less but this season AS took us to within 2 points of the drop zone with his 'new' squad and the team and its morale were shot. Fozzy hauled us back and changed the style. I'd like Fozzy to get the job but if he doesn't, I'll be well annoyed if we get an underwhelming appointment.


I agree, if Nicky doesn't get the job it had better be someone VERY special. The fan base is shrinking and another bad appointment will be the final straw. I applaud the people who think the board will get it right, I'm not convinced they will ?
 

Another Manager Poll

Nicky Forster: We were fantastic going forward, the whole team played their part.
I'm proud of the players, not just today but over the last three months.

Goodbye?
 

Another Manager Poll

10 days surely rules out buckle as the play offs (which Torquay are in) surely won't be over by then? Or will they?

That's what I thought. So, is it Keith Hill, Paul Tisdale?
I can't help thinking that they will want someone who knows about this division, which more or less rules out a Conference manager.
Still not inspired by the thought of it being Roberto Di Matteo.
 

Another Manager Poll

10 days surely rules out buckle as the play offs (which Torquay are in) surely won't be over by then? Or will they?

I can't believe we are looking at Buckle. YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS MAN. If that is the case then givr the job to Nicky Forster.
 

Another Manager Poll

No, it's the typical selective list of Scott's best moments, ignoring all the utter sh*te he put us through, it's not a balanced argument.
As mad as Andy's logic.

rofl

Ok i'm very sorry Davee. I shall reiterate my point again, however this time I shall balance out my arguement with some Scott negatives;

AS came here played some of the worst football I have ever seen, allienated the fans, reduced gates by nearly 2 thousand, made some very strange transfer signings, never had a plan B when losing and some of his substitions were strange to say the least. So why would we appoint another rookie in Forster when someone with a proven track record is a safer option to avoid this happening again.

I hope that makes you feel better and i'm sorry I even mentioned the unspeakables name :horns: :sorted:
 

Another Manager Poll

Feel for Fozzy tonight, guessing the players are too.

I value loyalty very highly but strangely enough, I don't feel sorry for NF tonight. I think he did what he was asked to do which was to stabilise the club on the pitch. However, I don't think he has done enough to earn the manager's job full time. Some of his team selections have left me thinking I was watching an AS team e.g. Saunders playing on the left, Reed on the right rather than in the middle with Myles sitting on the bench. Haven't we learned anything from the AS years?

Can't get excited with Hill or Buckle either. I hope we have an experienced proven manager lined up. Time will tell.
 

Another Manager Poll

Another Manager Poll

JFH, Buckle, Hill, Forster and Warburton. :yes:

If it's JFH, why the ten-day wait?
I reckon the board are looking at someone who can spot and develop youth/talent.
Does Buckle fit in with that?
Dark horse would be John Still.
 

Another Manager Poll

Another Manager Poll

If it's JFH, why the ten-day wait?
I reckon the board are looking at someone who can spot and develop youth/talent.
Does Buckle fit in with that?
Dark horse would be John Still.

It's Di Matteo with Jimmy Floyd as his No.2. I know these things. :banana:
 

Another Manager Poll

That's what I thought. So, is it Keith Hill, Paul Tisdale?
I can't help thinking that they will want someone who knows about this division, which more or less rules out a Conference manager.
Still not inspired by the thought of it being Roberto Di Matteo.

I am so pleased you aren't on the board then.

So who do we think is actually in the running?

From Mills' comments, I'd say we now the know who we want and an educated guess at the name would be Roberto Di Matteo. Can't see the board wanting to give it to Buckle or Tisdale, probably not even Hill. Unless we managed to convince Coppell to come out of retirement, I can't see it being anyone other than Di Matteo currently. Surely abee's comments are enough to say we're aiming higher than some of the names being bandied about on here.
 

Another Manager Poll

JFH, Buckle, Hill, Forster and Warburton. :yes:

I pray you're wrong.
f that is the total shortlist it has to NF and Warburton. I take back what I said about believing the candidates were of a higher standard than ever before, for me none match the criteria MB should have demanded i.e. proven track record of promotion from this division
 

Another Manager Poll

If it's JFH, why the ten-day wait?
I reckon the board are looking at someone who can spot and develop youth/talent.
Does Buckle fit in with that?
Dark horse would be John Still.

I'll bet as much as you like that John Still is no dark horse more like a non runner. I could have understood him taking over from Butcher but we've moved forward since MB.
 

Another Manager Poll

Brentfod getting Di mateo just wont happen. Forster will get the job due to a lack of a proper alternative soon.
Personally I think it would be a mistake and would rather have a more experienced manager with Forster as an assistant.
 

Another Manager Poll

JFH, Buckle, Hill, Forster and Warburton. :yes:

they are all small time. we are a big club now & can really push on and i would be disappointed with any of them. in fact i won't rather Dean Holdsworth than them five on your list. we could attract a very good manager with MB at the held now and coppell or di matteo is the minimum i expect. just hope it is not same old small time brentford.
 

Another Manager Poll

Buckle has done a great job at Torquay and judging by Fozzies comments on twitter it doesnt look like hes got the job
 
Last edited:

Another Manager Poll

Brentfod getting Di mateo just wont happen. Forster will get the job due to a lack of a proper alternative soon.

I could not disagree more.

It's Di Matteo with Jimmy Floyd as his No.2. I know these things. :banana:

Not as absurd as it sounds. Not a chance Hasselbaink will get the gig as a number one but was told he's very recently bought a house in Oxshott.

Also heard that JFH was in the 'final two' for the Aldershot job before Deano got it. He's certainly looking to kick off his managerial career in the Football League but maybe he'll find himself starting out as a number two :)
 

Another Manager Poll

they are all small time. we are a big club now & can really push on and i would be disappointed with any of them. in fact i won't rather Dean Holdsworth than them five on your list. we could attract a very good manager with MB at the held now and coppell or di matteo is the minimum i expect. just hope it is not same old small time brentford.

we are not a big club now and haven't been for forty plus years. we are a great little club.
 

Another Manager Poll

Buckle has done a great job at Torquay and a name like Di Matteo doesn't guarentee success

I'm fed up of hearing Di Matteo described as a 'name'. He was a name when he first took over at Franchise FC but he's more than proven himself as an excellent Football League manager with them and West Brom. He has experience of promotion in higher leagues than Buckle, he's wheeled and dealed with bigger budgets than Buckle and his sides play an excellent brand of football. Torquay fans have been critical of their side for a lack of goals (sound familiar?) and playing 4-5-1 at home. Makes me laugh how people say they'd rather have Forster or Buckle than Di Matteo or Coppell as manager but then bemoan the club for lack of ambition. Some people are in for a shock over the next few years...
 

Another Manager Poll

Buckle has done a great job at Torquay and a name like Di Matteo doesn't guarentee success

I don't disagree but Buckle has zero experience in managing clubs at the top end of league 1.
Appointing Alex Ferguson wouldn't guarantee promotion but like Di Matteo it would excite a number of us and show we have ambition and expectations
 

Another Manager Poll

I think Ian Holloway should come home (via Brentford)
 

Another Manager Poll

According to AM interview it will bee 10 days before we know anything....this maybee after the playoff's ,.......no approaches have been made yet.....:wave:
 

Another Manager Poll

According to AM interview it will bee 10 days before we know anything....this maybee after the playoff's ,.......no approaches have been made yet.....:wave:

I thought he said in ten days we will know who it is, possibly before then. Think Mills' words are being taken out of context. Will have to listen again when the highlights are up on Beesplayer I suppose.
 

Another Manager Poll

Total wild speculation, subject to whether it AM meant before 10 days, in around 10 days or after 10 days. But the second-leg of the play-off semis are 16th to 20th May across the three divisions. Conference final is on 21st....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom