Brentford Programme

Brentford Programme

The price of newsprint has actually come down over the last 10 years. Although the content is good, programmes look the same at all clubs. I prefer the old non-glossy programmes. They are less puffed up and environmentally damaging. Lack of imagination and advertising pressures, I suppose.
 

Brentford Programme

The price of newsprint has actually come down over the last 10 years. Although the content is good, programmes look the same at all clubs. I prefer the old non-glossy programmes. They are less puffed up and environmentally damaging. Lack of imagination and advertising pressures, I suppose.

Are we selling as many programmes as 10 years ago though? I don't think we are, so I'd imagine the net cost per copy has increased.
 

Brentford Programme

I still buy one out of habit and continued to buy one over the years to help the club finances. I hardly ever read them now and they go in a crate in the garage.
As has been said, all clubs more or less produce the same style. Way back in the early 60s every club had its own distinctive style and most kids tried to collect them along with stamps because there was bugger all else to do. In those days, unless you went to a game the only way to get a programme from another club was by writing to a club with a postal order and an SAE or via the famous Charles Buchan's Football Monthly where you could swap programmes.So programme collecting was attractive for young lads. Now it's easy to collect and they're all the same so why bother ?
I suppose it's had its day but presumably it generates income via advertising?
 

Brentford Programme

I thought it was a vast improvement on last seasons.

Excellent articles and good to see the Ipswich 1955 programme which was in the style I first remember - also the team line up included the indomitable Sid Tickeridge at full back.

I remember Sid marking Garrincha ('The Little Bird?) of Brazil in a floodlit match when the lights were a real novelty. Great days.
 

Brentford Programme

Excellent effort apart from still no career Bees appearances in the stats bit :computer:
 
Last edited:

Brentford Programme

Excellent effort apart from still no career Bees appearances in the stats bit :computer:

They're covered by the Official Secrets Act which is why they are now never published.

Apparently the Russians have been trying to get hold of data about the number of BFC goals Sam Saunders has scored for years and BFC are under orders from the CIA not to publish the information.

Anyway that's what Boris Johnson told me.
 

Brentford Programme

................Rogues Gallery in the Birthday section...........
 

Brentford Programme

I still buy one out of habit and continued to buy one over the years to help the club finances. I hardly ever read them now and they go in a crate in the garage.
As has been said, all clubs more or less produce the same style. Way back in the early 60s every club had its own distinctive style and most kids tried to collect them along with stamps because there was bugger all else to do. In those days, unless you went to a game the only way to get a programme from another club was by writing to a club with a postal order and an SAE or via the famous Charles Buchan's Football Monthly where you could swap programmes.So programme collecting was attractive for young lads. Now it's easy to collect and they're all the same so why bother ?
I suppose it's had its day but presumably it generates income via advertising?
I was about to write a post on exactly the same topic regarding programme collecting. Yes, years ago clubs had their own distinctive styles, designs shapes and sizes. I used to have hundreds and kept them on about two shelves in a cupboard however with the thickness they are today you need a house the size of the British Library. I remember asking visiting players if they had any programmes when getting autographs and some had the previous week's in their suit pocket - in those days fourth division players only possessed one suit and wore them on match days. There was also if anyone remembers a lucky bag that included a football programme which I seem to remember always getting a Dunfermline Athletic one every time I bought one. Also when they ran the School Boys and Girls exhibition at Olympia just after Christmas there was always a football stand which sold programmes.
 

Brentford Programme

I liked the fact that my biro could cope with the non glossy back page!
 

Brentford Programme

I was about to write a post on exactly the same topic regarding programme collecting. Yes, years ago clubs had their own distinctive styles, designs shapes and sizes. I used to have hundreds and kept them on about two shelves in a cupboard however with the thickness they are today you need a house the size of the British Library. I remember asking visiting players if they had any programmes when getting autographs and some had the previous week's in their suit pocket - in those days fourth division players only possessed one suit and wore them on match days. There was also if anyone remembers a lucky bag that included a football programme which I seem to remember always getting a Dunfermline Athletic one every time I bought one. Also when they ran the School Boys and Girls exhibition at Olympia just after Christmas there was always a football stand which sold programmes.

Ahhh. Memories. The Charles Buchan programme exchange was best. Little envelopes arriving in the post and then asking my Mum if I could iron the creases out after she had done the shirts.:) Simple folk then with simple pleasures.
 

Brentford Programme

I still buy one out of habit and continued to buy one over the years to help the club finances. I hardly ever read them now and they go in a crate in the garage.
As has been said, all clubs more or less produce the same style. Way back in the early 60s every club had its own distinctive style and most kids tried to collect them along with stamps because there was bugger all else to do. In those days, unless you went to a game the only way to get a programme from another club was by writing to a club with a postal order and an SAE or via the famous Charles Buchan's Football Monthly where you could swap programmes.So programme collecting was attractive for young lads. Now it's easy to collect and they're all the same so why bother ?
I suppose it's had its day but presumably it generates income via advertising?

Why are you supposing it isn't attractive for kids to collect them today? My son loved the programme on Saturday (so did I, cracking read but that's not the point), and said he was really gutted that he hadn't been collecting them over the years but will do so from now on...so whilst its admittedly only a sample of one I'm not sure the match day programme has 'had its day'
 

Brentford Programme

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. We are more than open to suggestions for new content for this season.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Brentford Programme

Why are you supposing it isn't attractive for kids to collect them today? My son loved the programme on Saturday (so did I, cracking read but that's not the point), and said he was really gutted that he hadn't been collecting them over the years but will do so from now on...so whilst its admittedly only a sample of one I'm not sure the match day programme has 'had its day'

I didn't read it but my daughter did and my son collects it.
 

Brentford Programme

Junior liked the Sam Saunders poster/junior Bees leaflet.
 

Brentford Programme

Why are you supposing it isn't attractive for kids to collect them today? My son loved the programme on Saturday (so did I, cracking read but that's not the point), and said he was really gutted that he hadn't been collecting them over the years but will do so from now on...so whilst its admittedly only a sample of one I'm not sure the match day programme has 'had its day'

Fair point. They just look so samey and dull compared to how they were in the age of coal fires.
 

Brentford Programme

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. We are more than open to suggestions for new content for this season.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about a series of biogs on former players ? I'd like to know what happened to Fred Rycraft. Apologies if it has been done but I don't read it.
 

Brentford Programme

What about a series of biogs on former players ? I'd like to know what happened to Fred Rycraft. Apologies if it has been done but I don't read it.

If you can find Fred Rycraft, let the club know. :)
 

Brentford Programme

Thanks for the kind comments everyone. We are more than open to suggestions for new content for this season.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about articles about big games from decades ago. Eg. Wins over Arsenal, or the record 9 nil win over Wrexham. War cup win etc. Would give our young fans better perspective of the clubs long history.
 

Brentford Programme

Best programme for many years. The price had been £3 for 8 years so not surprised that it went up. My Dad can remember when the programme price went up nearly every season. My Dad has emailed Mark Chapman to congratulate him on Saturday's effort and hopes it will maintain the standard for the rest of the season.
 

Brentford Programme

...Except that the large picture of Ipswich's Daryl Murphy was captioned as "Daryl Ward" and the picture of Justin Shaibu showed a white man, Shaibu is black!
 

Brentford Programme

great effort. I thought it has a good smell to it as well.

:laugh: You've been spending too much time with Motherwell Bee. :thetruth:
 

Brentford Programme

Thanks for all the kind words, it's much appreciated. Tonight's edition is our second full issue in the series so your comments are welcome.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Brentford Programme

Fulham and QPR have hit 350

Chelsea still at 300

I think 300 is the tipping point for me
 

Brentford Programme

Fulham and QPR have hit 350

Chelsea still at 300

I think 300 is the tipping point for me

Chelsea have three times the attendance. They probably sell around 5000+.

Brentford have 10000 attending and sell around 1500-1800. The same can be said for the other two west London minnows.
 

Brentford Programme

Once again, a good read and definitely more content than last year. Didn't read any obvious mistakes!. :)

I am loving the articles on the beginnings of Brentford FC. :cool:

Some new content and some background of those first 'pioneer' Bees. :)

Plus the build up of the 1991/92 season. (Happy to have left that to the main man! ;) )
 

Brentford Programme

Junior misses the Best and Worst kit articles, but likes the bigger posters.
 

Brentford Programme

Junior misses the Best and Worst kit articles, but likes the bigger posters.

But after one season of doing this, you can only add 6 new articles each year. ;)
 

Brentford Programme

But after one season of doing this, you can only add 6 new articles each year. ;)

You don't say :homer:

I explained that to him. He seemed to understand. ;)
 

Brentford Programme

...Except that the large picture of Ipswich's Daryl Murphy was captioned as "Daryl Ward" and the picture of Justin Shaibu showed a white man, Shaibu is black!

Thats the opposition who cares if they are black or white
 

Brentford Programme

Brentford Programme

Frozen in Time picture says 14 April 2007 then says Framp retired in 2005. No wonder we were relegated in the parallel universe
 

Brentford Programme

Frozen in Time picture says 14 April 2007 then says Framp retired in 2005. No wonder we were relegated in the parallel universe

If we're pointing out errors...

Britt Assombalonga sustained a serious knee injury 'on 11 February 20015'.
 

Brentford Programme

I also really enjoyed the beginnings of Brentford articles. Good stuff. Might be nice to have some more articles on stats and tactics?
 

Brentford Programme

I also really enjoyed the beginnings of Brentford articles. Good stuff. Might be nice to have some more articles on stats and tactics?

How long do I have to wait before it gets to WarbsGate?
 

Brentford Programme

Really enjoyed it, I've become hit and miss with buying them over the years but selling in The Globe is a great idea as often but there to read before meeting mates.

Tweeted Nathan Elder the pic of him and Charlie Mac and he was chuffed to see it and said Bees remains his fondest career memory
 

Brentford Programme

Really enjoyed it, I've become hit and miss with buying them over the years but selling in The Globe is a great idea as often but there to read before meeting mates.

Tweeted Nathan Elder the pic of him and Charlie Mac and he was chuffed to see it and said Bees remains his fondest career memory

They should sell them at the station. :thetruth:
 

Brentford Programme

Minority of one I suspect. To me the publication is not a programme. Excellent publicationsbut just prefer the progs of old.
 

Brentford Programme

I bought hundreds of bees programmes over the years but the internet changed things a bit. There is nothing like the smell of a fresh programme. When my daughter was younger she shouted out - Mum, Dads sniffing his programme again.
 
Last edited:

Brentford Programme

I bought hundreds of bees programmes over the years but the internet changed things a bit. There is nothing like the smell of a fresh programme. When my daughter was younger she shouted out - Mum, Dads sniffing his programme again.

People sniff worse ( or so l am told ).
 
Back
Top Bottom