Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Sounds a bit like Raya at first ... couldn't believe we'd replaced Bentley with him for a while. felt pretty stupid later on
Seriously?

Ashley Bates or Simon Brown would have been an upgrade after Bentley’s last season with us, the one in which (in 35 games) he made far more errors leading to goals than any other goalkeeper in The Championship (controversial at the time - but it was on Twitter).

Remarkable comment...
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Raya should be between the sticks if his still with us at the start of the season. But what do I know?:confused:
I agree,if Raya is still here he should play in the PL,Flekken can then settle in & play in the Cup games while getting used to the pace of the game here & the physicality & training with the first choice defence.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Like many have said he looks very good with his passing, which is paramount in how we want to build from the back and play...That being said his positional sense has been way off so far, he was very lucky not to be lobbed last night and also got away with a very dodgy touch when he came out sweeping up. The games mean nothing so far and are there for him to iron out any mistakes and get used to the way we play so not panic stations yet, but it is worrying. These games haven't really been played like friendlies, concentration and intensity has been very similar to premier league games so it'll be interesting how he does come the Spurs game - I dont think he'll be getting the same benefit of the doubt if he makes two similar mistakes v spurs and Fulham.
Sure he will come good.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I agree,if Raya is still here he should play in the PL,Flekken can then settle in & play in the Cup games while getting used to the pace of the game here & the physicality & training with the first choice defence.
How is he meant to get used to it on the bench?

We've signed Flekken to be our number 1, I don't think anyone can doubt that, so let's use him as intended please.

Raya wants out, Flekken wants to be with us. I know who I would be picking on 13th August and he ain't Spanish.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Must be a bit tricky for Flekken to follow in Raya's footsteps.
Well, hopefully Raya's footsteps will be trotting through the exit door soon, and then he won't need to.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Come the spurs game you need to play your best players and for me that’s still Raya
I'm glad you are not picking the team.
Raya will be gone by the end of month.
Let's smash the new bloke's conference.
Big shoes to fill but give him time.
He looked OK today.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Distribution - Well his distribution is equal to Raya from what I have seen. Although he might get caught out play out like Raya did in his first PL games.

Crosses - Haven’t really seen him on crosses yet. Raya improved so much in this area, hopefully Flekken being taller will be as good if not better.

Shot-stopping - I am curious how agile he is compared to Raya. Today he made a couple of decent saves from close quarters, but there were fairly easy. Some saves Raya made last season will take some beating.

From early viewing I think he will good. But we have to accept he will make some mistakes as he gets used to the standard and team.

Btw Raya has played his last game for us. That boat has sailed. ?
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Thought his distribution was excellent today. Very cool under pressure and some pinpoint long balls.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Distribution - Well his distribution is equal to Raya from what I have seen. Although he might get caught out play out like Raya did in his first PL games.

Crosses - Haven’t really seen him on crosses yet. Raya improved so much in this area, hopefully Flekken being taller will be as good if not better.

Shot-stopping - I am curious how agile he is compared to Raya. Today he made a couple of decent saves from close quarters, but there were fairly easy. Some saves Raya made last season will take some beating.

From early viewing I think he will good. But we have to accept he will make some mistakes as he gets used to the standard and team.

Btw Raya has played his last game for us. That boat has sailed. ?
He was considered the best keeper in the German top flight last season. He will do fine.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

One weird moment second half, although he did save the ball. He was otherwise really dominant in his box and strong with his feet, two excellent passes
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Flekken was very assured with the ball at his feet and he and the team passed Lille’s 5 / 6 man press when we had a goal kick (something we will rarely encounter in the coming season) with flying colours. Regulation saves were unfussy, the real test comes next Sunday. But I’m happy with our new custodian.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I thought he'd bust a finger when the ball flew through his hands. That was his sole Strakosha moment in a very competent performance.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

One weird moment second half, although he did save the ball. He was otherwise really dominant in his box and strong with his feet, two excellent passes
Hands in a very strange position. Seemed to save it with his thumbs when he might easily have caught it or patted it down with hands together, vertically upwards. Solitary blip in an otherwise impressive performance.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Can punt it a tad further than Raya & a better header of the ball also, from what I saw in the warm up.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Hands in a very strange position. Seemed to save it with his thumbs when he might easily have caught it or patted it down with hands together, vertically upwards. Solitary blip in an otherwise impressive performance.

Watching the replay on the stream the ball was moving in the air. He did the most important thing and kept it out. Overall it was a reassuring performance and his distribution looks the equal of Raya's.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Watching the replay on the stream the ball was moving in the air.
Wondered if this might be the case. Also looked as if he might have been beaten for pace (or surprised by the pace) and didn’t get his hands together in time.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

One 70 yard ping to KLP was Rayaesque.
The pitching wedge curled right chip out to Mads R over the head of the Lille press was mighty impressive.
Its hard to find a keeper who plays with his feet more than Raya but the Dof’s have found him.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Wondered if this might be the case. Also looked as if he might have been beaten for pace (or surprised by the pace) and didn’t get his hands together in time.
Yep, I was right behind it and the ball moved all over the place.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I was a bit worried after watching the American tour .But yesterday saw glimpses that given time he will be a excellent keeper.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I actually think his distribution is better than Raya's. He was 100% with his passing yesterday whereas Raya could misplace a few longer passes.
Not sure a few games count but looks good so far.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Not wanting to be too enthusiastic, but he did look decent yesterday.
And, as others have said, his distribution was pretty smart too.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

First half:
0 saves
2 shots on target faced
2 goals conceded
14% long ball accuracy
0 punches
0 claims

Second half:
4 saves
4 shots on target faced
0 conceded
5 long balls (63% accuracy)

Was feeling worried at half time, but a very promising second half from Mark
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

First half:
0 saves
2 shots on target faced
2 goals conceded
14% long ball accuracy
0 punches
0 claims

Second half:
4 saves
4 shots on target faced
0 conceded
5 long balls (63% accuracy)

Was feeling worried at half time, but a very promising second half from Mark
+ 3 high claims**
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I was blow away by his distribution, it was superb.

Should of saved the long shot? Maybe! It's the second time a low, long range effort has passed him by. The other goal was in the USA. Got my eye on that.

He will be brilliant.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I was blow away by his distribution, it was superb.

Should of saved the long shot? Maybe! It's the second time a low, long range effort has passed him by. The other goal was in the USA. Got my eye on that.

He will be brilliant.
Totally agree. Calm and confident with the ball. Lots of lobs out to players lifting it over the heads of their attackers, and one long ball down the middle near the end that Schade (I think) couldn't quite control. solid saves when needed in second half toom great start
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Made one very good save and his distribution I must say is top quality
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Happy with his performance. Good handling and excellent distribution. Not much chance with either goal. First one was point blank, second was a snapshot after a bit of pinball when we have several chances to clear.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Looks seriously comfortable on the ball, Edersen levels. Didn't nail every clearance but his passing, both short and long range, was very accurate.

Seemed pretty confident with balls in the box, apart from one flap in the first half from a spurs corner.

Saves he made were ones he should be saving, nothing spectacular.

Watching behind the goal, I thought he might have not set himself correctly for the 2nd goal, maybe had his weight on the wrong foot so he couldn't get down and across in time. Just watching the replay now it's hard to say one way or the other.

Overall, decent enough competitive debut and I don't think we should have any concerns with him.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Like what I’ve seen so far, slotted I’m well. Unlike Fernandez who didn’t inspire me or feel that safe in between the sticks.

Confident and good with his feet. Would need to see their second again but he claimed and saved what he had to.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom