Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

One occasion today he came out, when there was no real danger, and it seemed easier to catch the ball, but chose to punch it, and it went straight to a Palace player.
I will always try and be supportive of all Brentford players, but enough is enough for me now. He doesn't command his area, doesn't come for crosses, can't catch even the basic of crosses, under no pressure, can only make the most basic of saves, doesn't even dive for some.
Strakosha would probably have been given the gloves against Wolves anyway, but he deserves a decent run in the team.
What happens if that doesn't work?
God only knows.
What has Strakosha done to show that "he deserves a decent run in the team". I ask out of interest, clearly management see him constantly in training, and will have made a decision, but what have you seen to indicate that he is the better keeper.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Wouldn't it have been a corner anyway?
Yes of course. I just meant he didn’t need to help it on its way. It suggested, to me, that he wasnt quite aware of his positioning, and he should have been.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Yes of course. I just meant he didn’t need to help it on its way. It suggested, to me, that he wasnt quite aware of his positioning, and he should have been.
But the outcome was totally the same??? It was an error by pinnock.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

What has Strakosha done to show that "he deserves a decent run in the team". I ask out of interest, clearly management see him constantly in training, and will have made a decision, but what have you seen to indicate that he is the better keeper.
If Strakosha doesn’t play another game this season, we’ll be able to get £50M for him in summer, if you believe his prowess according to some.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

One occasion today he came out, when there was no real danger, and it seemed easier to catch the ball, but chose to punch it, and it went straight to a Palace player.
I will always try and be supportive of all Brentford players, but enough is enough for me now. He doesn't command his area, doesn't come for crosses, can't catch even the basic of crosses, under no pressure, can only make the most basic of saves, doesn't even dive for some.
Strakosha would probably have been given the gloves against Wolves anyway, but he deserves a decent run in the team.
What happens if that doesn't work?
God only knows.
Flekken couldn't catch a cold.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

We're not talking about Banks-esque saves (which was 1970 btw) but simply saves that top keepers should be making.

The guy is elite level with the ball at his feet. But shot stopping and commanding his box I think he is League One.
He put it into touch with his first kick of the game ?
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

He put it into touch with his first kick of the game ?
He's in the top few percent of GKs with the ball at his feet. I think every keeper occasionally misplaces a pass or kicks it into touch!
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

People can argue as much as they like.

MF is miles behind the standard we come to enjoy with DR. He isn't even close and it shows.

He hasn't and will not win us games with those amazing saves that top Goalkeepers can make. He is passive from all angles - saves, commanding area, organising the defence.....
 
Last edited:

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

What has Strakosha done to show that "he deserves a decent run in the team". I ask out of interest, clearly management see him constantly in training, and will have made a decision, but what have you seen to indicate that he is the better keeper.
The original poster didn't say they had seen anything to indicate he is the better keeper, did they? The comment was based on what they have seen of Flekken and that it is worth giving Strakosha a go.

To be honest with the very average current performances of Flekken, it doesn't seem a bad shout to me.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

See, this is where modern football disagrees with you.

An 11th footballer on the pitch is far more important than someone that can occasionally pull off a 1974 Banks save.
The league table disagrees, the player who has saved the most is Alison and they are top of the league
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Can someone explain this stat please. Is every goal counted as a mark against the keeper regardless of whether it was his fault? Yesterday I saw 3 goals that he can't really be blamed for and another few decent saves. Does his score go down or up?
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Yes of course. I just meant he didn’t need to help it on its way. It suggested, to me, that he wasnt quite aware of his positioning, and he should have been.
Was he not simply trying to get his foot around it and clear it for a throw in rather than a corner ? He was facing his goal so it’s not like he didn’t know where he was.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Can someone explain this stat please. Is every goal counted as a mark against the keeper regardless of whether it was his fault? Yesterday I saw 3 gals that he can't really be blamed for and another few decent saves. Does his score go down or up?
He went from -6.8 to -7.7 so at a guess he'd have been expected to save one of those yesterday
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I felt he could have come for the cross and made a better attempt for goal 3.

⬇️

What is Post-Shot xG (PSxG)?
Regular xG, or what can be considered "Pre-Shot xG", is calculated considering all shots at the time of the shot without knowing the quality of the shot attempt. It not only includes shots that are on target, but also shots that are deflected or off target. Post-Shot xG is calculated after the shot has been taken, once it is known that the shot is on-target, taking into account the quality of the shot. As with xG, PSxG is provided by Opta and is further explained here.

All shots which are off target will have a PSxG of zero since there is a 0% chance that this trajectory will lead to a goal.

When evaluating a goalkeeper's shot stopping ability, we only want to include shots that are on target since these are the shots where the goalkeeper can have an impact. Therefore, we use PSxG to estimate the quality of shots in which they have faced.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

The original poster didn't say they had seen anything to indicate he is the better keeper, did they? The comment was based on what they have seen of Flekken and that it is worth giving Strakosha a go.

To be honest with the very average current performances of Flekken, it doesn't seem a bad shout to me.
Strakosha might be absolutely awful in training! I do not know one or the other so if a poster says he deserves a run in the team then he implies that he knows more than Thomas Frank. As always I will watch to see what TF does,
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I felt he could have come for the cross and made a better attempt for goal 3.

⬇️

What is Post-Shot xG (PSxG)?
Regular xG, or what can be considered "Pre-Shot xG", is calculated considering all shots at the time of the shot without knowing the quality of the shot attempt. It not only includes shots that are on target, but also shots that are deflected or off target. Post-Shot xG is calculated after the shot has been taken, once it is known that the shot is on-target, taking into account the quality of the shot. As with xG, PSxG is provided by Opta and is further explained here.

All shots which are off target will have a PSxG of zero since there is a 0% chance that this trajectory will lead to a goal.

When evaluating a goalkeeper's shot stopping ability, we only want to include shots that are on target since these are the shots where the goalkeeper can have an impact. Therefore, we use PSxG to estimate the quality of shots in which they have faced.
So if a keeper doesn't save a shot that's on target, a mark goes against him regardless of whether it should have been saved, is that right? Nothing to do with a cross into the box.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I felt he could have ... made a better attempt for goal 3.
Agreed. For me he should have been closer to his right-hand post as that was the most likely area that Olise was going to place his shot.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I also thought he could have done better with the third goal. There looked to be only one place that Olise was going to place that shot, so I would have expected him to be anticipating that. In fact he made a small hop to the left at a crucial moment.
He looks perpetually worried and doesn't instil confidence in our defenders -- at least that's the way it looks to me.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

All I know is what I see..he rarely seems to save anything and on that table he's miles adrift at the bottom .The third goal was just like the Luton goal it's obvious where a left footer is placing that , passed into the net with miles of open net to aim for
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Agreed. For me he should have been closer to his right-hand post as that was the most likely area that Olise was going to place his shot.
I also thought he could have done better with the third goal. There looked to be only one place that Olise was going to place that shot, so I would have expected him to be anticipating that. In fact he made a small hop to the left at a crucial moment.
He looks perpetually worried and doesn't instil confidence in our defenders -- at least that's the way it looks to me.
All I know is what I see..he rarely seems to save anything and on that table he's miles adrift at the bottom .The third goal was just like the Luton goal it's obvious where a left footer is placing that , passed into the net with miles of open net to aim for
Looks like we all agree then!
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Can someone explain this stat please. Is every goal counted as a mark against the keeper regardless of whether it was his fault? Yesterday I saw 3 goals that he can't really be blamed for and another few decent saves. Does his score go down or up?
It is based on thousands of shots that have previously been taken. It is a probability based on the quality of chance. Likely to be a more reliable indicator than you or I saying whether he could or couldn't have saved it.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

OK. Which one, in your opinion and who decides?I
I think you realise you are being a bit binary over this Les ?

If he were the type of keeper to come and dominate his 6 yard box *perhaps* we would have fewer balls dropping in at the back post.

Clearly there are also other issues; with stopping the crosses in the first place and Saman (for example) losing his man, but Flekken (and I'm borrowing words from above) passiveness is a big contributor into the issue which results in more bigger chances faced.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

It is based on thousands of shots that have previously been taken. It is a probability based on the quality of chance. Likely to be a more reliable indicator than you or I saying whether he could or couldn't have saved it.
Thanks, would be interesting then to see how it lines up with xG. I felt yesterday those 3 goals would all have a high xG so I'm surprised that the mark went down by almost a point.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I think you realise you are being a bit binary over this Les ?

If he were the type of keeper to come and dominate his 6 yard box *perhaps* we would have fewer balls dropping in at the back post.

Clearly there are also other issues; with stopping the crosses in the first place and Saman (for example) losing his man, but Flekken (and I'm borrowing words from above) passiveness is a big contributor into the issue which results in more bigger chances faced.
I'm being binary because someone is using stats to underline a point. Just trying to understand how the stat is constructed.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Depending on where you look but the xg was 1.46.to 1.34 or there or thereabouts
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Depending on where you look but the xg was 1.46.to 1.34 or there or thereabouts
I guess the first goal was low xG but that wouldn't be down to the shot saving from the keeper.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I guess the first goal was low xG but that wouldn't be down to the shot saving from the keeper.
Probably best to not keep guessing. ;)

Olise had an xG of 0.84 from 6 shots and Eze an xG of 0.54 from 3 shots. Models vary so this is a ballpark.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I’m certainly not a Flekken hater… very nice on the eye, distribution fantastic!
But sadly not good enough. Can’t think of any “big saves” he’s made this season and too many you’d expect him to do something with he doesn’t.
costing us too many points, time to utilise Strakosha !!!
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Don’t think anyone claimed he was an upgrade on Raya. He’s a middle of the road keeper, nothing more, nothing less. He’s not the reason we got hammered by Wolves and Palace.
He certainly wasn't middle of the road in the Bundesliga and wouldn't be capped for the Netherlands either. Our defence has been struggling for obvious reasons (Injury, suspension disruption and lack of continuity) and that certainly won't have helped our no.1 GK.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Agreed. For me he should have been closer to his right-hand post as that was the most likely area that Olise was going to place his shot.
Or equally if he was then Olise has an open target on the left side and you'll say Flekken is to blame for being too far to his right....it really is getting boring now where everything is his fault.

In summary he should have come for a cross that no keeper is coming for as it is the LBs responsibility to not stand still and let the opposition player have a free run at it. He should have dived for the 2nd which was basically struck early and he would have no chance of saving. He should have used his psychic abilities to stand further right on the 3rd but had he done so Olise would have simply passed to the left hand side anyway.

He's not Raya I'll grant you but for people to compare him to Clarke Masters is bizarre and disrespectful.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

And where is he when it comes to making saves? After all, this surely has to be the primary purpose of a keeper.
League One standard in my opinion (as I stated in a post above)
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

And where is he when it comes to making saves? After all, this surely has to be the primary purpose of a keeper.
Apparently not nowadays. It would appear that having effectively 11 outfield players is of greater importance.
Not going to get drawn into a discussion about MF. It led to me deciding that I didn’t want to post on this forum again as I was accused of disloyalty and f*** knows what else. Interesting though to read many of the current comments
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

The original poster didn't say they had seen anything to indicate he is the better keeper, did they? The comment was based on what they have seen of Flekken and that it is worth giving Strakosha a go.

To be honest with the very average current performances of Flekken, it doesn't seem a bad shout to me.
I take it Strakosha will get the call for the Wolves cup game , it’s his chance to show if he’s any good
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I take it Strakosha will get the call for the Wolves cup game , it’s his chance to show if he’s any good
Think we already know he’s ok. Question is whether he’s more ok than Flekken. Can’t see any reason for enthusiasm either way tbh.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I take it Strakosha will get the call for the Wolves cup game , it’s his chance to show if he’s any good
.............he had that chance at Old Trafford................
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I don't like how unresponsive flekken is to shots. If it's not directly at him he rarely even makes a move for the ball, he just watches it fly into his net with both feet planted flat on the floor. I may not be a pro keeper, but I've seen enough football to know a keeper needs to be on their toes to react to shots effectively. They even noted it on one of the goals in the commentary box yesterday, it wasn't a particularly good shot but he just didn't react and it went in.

From the little we've seen of strakosha he's quick to react and in the united game commanded his box quite well. We only lost because the defense switched off and wasn't tracking the runs on McTominay, but overall strakosha was great in that game.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

See, this is where modern football disagrees with you.

An 11th footballer on the pitch is far more important than someone that can occasionally pull off a 1974 Banks save.
Let’s recall Paris Maghoma and stick him in goal then?

It’s no coincidence that the 3 teams who went down last season all had keepers who couldn’t stop the ball going in the net.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

The former goalkeeping coach here moves to Arsenal … and they sign Raya!

Since our current goalkeeping coach has been here we’ve signed Fernandez, Lossl, Strakosha and Flekken.

I‘m trying to see some some of pattern!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom