Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Anderson should of been taken out how can we let a defender run that far with the ball.
In real time I thought Collins was about to wipe Anderson out and concede a penalty. That is why I think he changed his mind and left Flekken standing. Split second decisions and a freak outcome unfortunately.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I think if Mee is the defender rushing in rather than Collins, he's kicking it out regardless of whether the keeper calls for it or not.

Flekken is at fault for calling, Collins at fault for not taking charge and getting rid in the chaos of the moment.

A mix up by two players who look like exceptional acquisitions. Hats off to the recruitment team who struggled to replace Raya last season – but with a bit of breathing space have come up with another gem.

Keepers seem to go on forever, here's hoping he's our first choice for a long long time.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Some great saves yesterday. I completely wrote him off after half a friendly in Disneyland that I was only half watching on my phone but admit I got it wrong. He’s great.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

An excellent display from him yesterday, apart from his part in conceding the goal.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Shot was through Mee's legs, but maybe could have done better for first?
Beaten at near post.....
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Good with his feet, organises well, hated the flappy punch just before the interval.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

He’s distribution is insanely good. A couple of flat long passes to the flanks were outrageously accurate!

Poor punch though, although I think he thought it might be a pass back and somehow thought punching may be better than catching! ?
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Did OK aside from a couple of long balls which went straight into touch, and the dodgy punch.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Punch was embarrassing, but you just know the coaching team will be clipping that one up for him to watch back – it was a catch all day – at least he made the save immediately after.

Other than that, excellent.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

This. Don’t punch a ball that has no pace on it. Difficult to time but easy to catch. Looks very good, otherwise.
Almost all modern goalkeepers do this, which I hate.

It's one thing that Raya was good at - almost always claiming a contested ball with a catch. No excuse not to, especially in the modern game. You should be able to outjump any other player and if you do get knocked over, the ref will almost certainly give a foul on the keeper's behalf.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Almost all modern goalkeepers do this, which I hate.

It's one thing that Raya was good at - almost always claiming a contested ball with a catch. No excuse not to, especially in the modern game. You should be able to outjump any other player and if you do get knocked over, the ref will almost certainly give a foul on the keeper's behalf.
Yes. Also, much easier to catch these days, with the almost adhesive gloves they use. We know why they do it, of course. It’s a percentage thing: better to get the ball out of the immediate danger zone rather than risk dropping it? But that does’t really square with the current risk-on approach to playing out from the back, imo. Besides, as I suggested before, it’s probably riskier to punch a ball with no pace on than catch it. A bit like how it’s easier to hit a pace bowler through midwicket than a spinner.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Almost all modern goalkeepers do this, which I hate.

It's one thing that Raya was good at - almost always claiming a contested ball with a catch. No excuse not to, especially in the modern game. You should be able to outjump any other player and if you do get knocked over, the ref will almost certainly give a foul on the keeper's behalf.
I'm fairly sure Raya was criticised for punching when he could have caught, when he first arrived.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I'm fairly sure Raya was criticised for punching when he could have caught, when he first arrived.
I think that's the most exciting thing about Flekken – that, with our coaching, he's got improving to do. He's not too bad already!
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

A fascinating article on the OS analysing Flekken’s performance against Bournemouth at the weekend.

 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

A fascinating article on the OS analysing Flekken’s performance against Bournemouth at the weekend.

Wasn't there another keeper, last season, who had similar stats? I forget who though.....
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

It's funny, seeing some of the analytical opinions on Flekken taking his time to pass and play out. Perhaps I'm too cynical and don't give tactics enough credit or romanticism. But seeing as it often gets attributed to Pep. I reckon this is what happened:

Ederson (internal thought whilst watching City decimate______) : I'm f**king bored. Next time I'm gonna get the ball I'm gonna have a kick about, flex my muscles for once.

Does exactly that, puts in the Prem GK group chat: Fellas, did you seem me lay on that sweet assist, what do you think that wally Neville will make of it.

Later that day, on an Sky sports exclusive, Neville: It's genius. It's the future of football, Pep continues to reinvent the game. I think this will now be expected of all top keepers....

Sorry, being silly. But sometimes I do wonder whether it's really as involved as we like to think or whether it's them having a bit of fun.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

It's funny, seeing some of the analytical opinions on Flekken taking his time to pass and play out. Perhaps I'm too cynical and don't give tactics enough credit or romanticism. But seeing as it often gets attributed to Pep. I reckon this is what happened:

Ederson (internal thought whilst watching City decimate______) : I'm f**king bored. Next time I'm gonna get the ball I'm gonna have a kick about, flex my muscles for once.

Does exactly that, puts in the Prem GK group chat: Fellas, did you seem me lay on that sweet assist, what do you think that wally Neville will make of it.

Later that day, on an Sky sports exclusive, Neville: It's genius. It's the future of football, Pep continues to reinvent the game. I think this will now be expected of all top keepers....

Sorry, being silly. But sometimes I do wonder whether it's really as involved as we like to think or whether it's them having a bit of fun.
I don't think there are many of our passages of play that aren't thought through, planned for and trained on extensively. As Jensen said last year everyone knows where they have to be and do on any part of the pitch at any time.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

We really do have some idiots supporting us. Quote from the "Fans View" on the BBC website:

Peter: Yet more points thrown away at home because our defence is unbalanced and the goalkeeper is not up to the Premier League. Also we need someone to put their foot on the ball and get the forwards not to rush around like headless chickens.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

We really do have some idiots supporting us. Quote from the "Fans View" on the BBC website:

Peter: Yet more points thrown away at home because our defence is unbalanced and the goalkeeper is not up to the Premier League. Also we need someone to put their foot on the ball and get the forwards not to rush around like headless chickens.
Totally agree BJB. We have no idea if they were actually a Bees fan. The BBC, on random occasions, simply asks for 'fans comments' and publishes them with no idea as to who they are, how much they know, or whether they are even genuine supporters. Extremely naiive of the BBC and aggravating for the many of us who have a more balanced view. It is a totally pointless concept and, hate to suggest it, but would be a great place for any trolls or subversives for the dissing of other teams.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

We really do have some idiots supporting us. Quote from the "Fans View" on the BBC website:

Peter: Yet more points thrown away at home because our defence is unbalanced and the goalkeeper is not up to the Premier League. Also we need someone to put their foot on the ball and get the forwards not to rush around like headless chickens.
Congratulations to Peter who has shown himself up as a clueless fukking idiot.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Another clean sheet for that useless fecker Flekken
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Ireland scored from a penalty. Flekken and his defenders f***ed up passing out from the back and conceded a corner. Penalty conceded from the resulting corner.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Also played 90 minutes against Ireland today in a 2-1 win. Did anyone peak behind the paywall and watch?
Bit of a strange performance from Flekken, he looked surprisingly shaky with the ball at his feet tonight, completely different to his performances with us, which brought a lot of criticism from the Dutch on social media, although he wasn’t helped at all by his back line. Ireland’s only shot on target was the pen so nothing really to report back on saves.
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Bit of a strange performance from Flekken, he looked surprisingly shaky with the ball at his feet tonight, completely different to his performances with us, which brought a lot of criticism from the Dutch on social media, although he wasn’t helped at all by his back line. Ireland’s only shot on target was the pen so nothing really to report back on saves.
Add that odd punch instead of catching the ball with no Irish near…
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

I was at the match in Dublin last night and he seemed to loose confidence after the error which looked to be more the defender de Jong than him. Swiftly followed by the highly overrated Van Dyke giving a penalty away . He was a bit flakey after then , not displaying his great distribution we have seen. The Dutch team were in the most not the quality one would usually expect in Orange and an Irish team made up mainly of players from second tier football could of embarrassed them if it was for their poor finishing especially Ogbene. Who was a player I predicted would be a star after first coming on as a sub for the Bees some years ago. He has great pace , can’t shoot and has the football brain of a cabbage
 

Mark Flekken (Closed Thread)

Dutch press seem to have given him a hard time, critising his short passes and playing his team mates into danger.

I’d told a Dutch friend that Flekken had been a little shaky pre season but has looked very good since the season had started. He confirmed it was the US version of Flekken that played this week.

Think he’s also annoyed some by being cocky in media interviews that he should be #1. Nothing wrong with that in my view but isn’t always the Dutch way to be boastful.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom