TW3Bee
Can We Play You Every Week
MLB 2017
It's remarkable how all MLB teams seem to do that with their attendances. I've been to Rogers Centre many times over the years when the stadium is half full and the announced attendance is at least 10-15000 higher than the number of spectators in attendance. I watched an afternoon game at Yankee Stadium earlier this year where there can't have been more than 10,000 there. Whole sections of the stadium were empty and yet the announced attendance was 38,000+!!
To what extent it's to do with ticket holders that haven't come to that particular game I'm not sure, maybe there are other reasons. Anyway, you can usually tell when a commentator is sceptical about the attendance figure as they will make a point of emphasising the 'announced' bit before giving out the figure.
Dodger Stadium used to announce two attendances.
Paid attendance and In the house attendance.