Samosas

Samosas

Does anyone know if £2 for a samosa is expensive?
I don’t get the shock on the thread. Everything in a football ground is expensive (esp a Prem one). You’re inside for two hours, don’t buy anything if you think it’s overpriced. The real catering issue is not trusting us with bottle caps again. I snuck in the wrong size a few weeks ago ? pointless
 

Samosas

I didn’t really like dishoom and much prefer an old skool curry house in the suburbs. Doesn’t really matter what I think though because as soon as Edmundo is awake this all disappears
Nowt wrong with a decent Suburban curry house. Brentford Tandoori anyone ? At least when not rioting with scummy northeners.
Would also give a shout out for Mint & Mustard when I worked in Taunton (also one in Cardiff I believe).
 

Samosas

£2 pricing is targeted at people like me who don't know how to make samosas ourselves, and wouldn't know where to go to buy one for 50p.

It would go cold before half time anyway.
 

Samosas

£2 pricing is targeted at people like me who don't know how to make samosas ourselves, and wouldn't know where to go to buy one for 50p.

It would go cold before half time anyway.

"£2 pricing is targeted at people like me who don't know how to make samosas ourselves, and wouldn't know where to go to buy one for 50p."


Yup you hit the nail on the head !

However the argument that one shouldn't buy food if you don't like the prices is silly.

Surely clubs like Brentford are missing a trick by charging such high prices.
With the price of tickets in the Premiership (I know we are not affected this year but we will be next year if hopefully we stay up) Demand for stadium food & drinks is elastic. Therefore potential customers deterred by the high prices shop elsewhere either by eating at home or at establishments around the stadium either prior or after the game.

I enjoy going to sporting events in the States. They may scalp you heavy for the ticket price for their games but at least the concession stands were priced reasonably. You could get fed well in a stadium over there for a reasonable price. And their portions are huge.

Here we do nothing but scalp you on the food too.
 

Samosas

£2 for a Samosa is criminal and how ! Just told my wife the prices she is like WTF. Anyway got an early start … tbc !
How much do we charge for a 10p bag of crisps? The mark up on stadium food is big for everything. The idea is for the caterer and BFC to make enough money to make it worth their while. At home made prices or prices for getting out the back of a van in Southall they’d be better off just not having any catering.
 

Samosas

Nowt wrong with a decent Suburban curry house. Brentford Tandoori anyone ? At least when not rioting with scummy northeners.
Would also give a shout out for Mint & Mustard when I worked in Taunton (also one in Cardiff I believe).
Chatora in Richmond, Kew road parade next to Rock and Rose is superb
 

Samosas

Lol so true, I just told my loved ones the same about it being £2 a samosa and typical Punjabi business mentality, they said why don't we cook them from mum and set up a stand outside the stadium and undercut the prices these crooks are charging.

£2 a samosa is what I would expect to pay at some luxury hotel like Cliveden House, not at a football stadium.
Am amazed people think that is a fair price to pay for a samosa.
I pay £3.50 for two lamb samosa at my local Take away in Surrey so £2 at football doesn’t seem excessive. I appreciate you can get better for less but compare to the prices at Wembley for bland food think it’s good value.
Bear in mind it’s aimed at the affluent, cultured Dug Out supporters ????
 

Samosas

I just purchased 2 samosas delivered from my local Indian. £3.95 for 2.

QED.
 

Samosas

I pay £3.50 for two lamb samosa at my local Take away in Surrey so £2 at football doesn’t seem excessive. I appreciate you can get better for less but compare to the prices at Wembley for bland food think it’s good value.
Bear in mind it’s aimed at the affluent, cultured Dug Out supporters ????

Yeah I blame the high prices on the fact that the stadium is closer to affluent Chiswick.
I agree with your recommendation on Chatora tho. Great restaurant.

My suspicions are aroused because I have visited the Samosa Direct website and as a front end software engineer and a UX architect - their website provides me with an inclination that their website was built by a web designer who has never come across a web browser before :)

Also the website has no details about the restaurant/warehouse/commercial unit where the food is made - just a registered address of an office in Central London that is not a commercial kitchen.

More worryingly, there are no reviews about this company on the internet and as a young un from a family that was in this business 30-40 years ago. I will give you odds on this company sprouted up overnight when Brentford were tendering a contract for someone to supply Indian food earlier this year.

Hold on. A quick check on Companies House shows that this private company was formed just 6 months ago when Brentford were tendering contracts out for food.

Bet you the cooking is not done from a typical food establishment with all the certificates of hygiene and whatever one would expect when supplying food to the members of the general public. More likely a house. I thought Brentford would do some due diligence and get a supplier that has some history and feedback in the trade.

Oh well, Seen it all before. There's countless stories of such operations and a dodgy website when it comes to Indian food. Believe me...
 

Samosas

At Tesco you can buy an incredibly sh*t samosa for £1.75 from their food to go section. People still buy them. I’m sure they all realise it’s not the cheapest nor the nicest Samosa out there.
 

Samosas

I’d quite like to be in a position to buy any food in the new stadium, the S106 options are somewhat limited and even further limited by the fact there has been f*** all there for the last three games.
We bring our own food in.
A lot easier.
 

Samosas

Does anyone know if £2 for a samosa is expensive?
Seems to be.
Would a Scotch Egg at £1.50 be expensive too?
Asking for a friend.
My missus makes Samosas and they are beautiful.
She makes a ton of them too.
Spring rolls, Sushi, Thai Curry hot, spicy or not, Malay, Lao, pot pot.
I diverse.
Apologies.
 

Samosas

And while we're at it, what's all this about £5:00 for a bottle of cider?
I can get the same from Tesco for £1:00......
Similarly the £14:00 I paid for Burger and Chips before the BHA game in the Coach and Horses. Could have done it at home for £3:00 or less........
?
 

Samosas

And while we're at it, what's all this about £5:00 for a bottle of cider?
I can get the same from Tesco for £1:00......
Similarly the £14:00 I paid for Burger and Chips before the BHA game in the Coach and Horses. Could have done it at home for £3:00 or less........
?
I'm fuming here. Paid £40 for a train ticket to Wolverhampton, do they not realise I can walk for free?!
 

Samosas

Had the Waterman’s Arts Centre express curry deal before Brighton, thought that was very nice albeit in an uninspiring location. Would go again for the food though. Also have to admit that I may not be the best judge.
 

Samosas

Nicest samosa eaten? ❌
Cheapest samosa purchased? ❌
Nicest samosa eaten in a football ground? ✅
Cheapest samosa purchased in a football ground? ✅
 

Samosas

Yeah I blame the high prices on the fact that the stadium is closer to affluent Chiswick.
I agree with your recommendation on Chatora tho. Great restaurant.

My suspicions are aroused because I have visited the Samosa Direct website and as a front end software engineer and a UX architect - their website provides me with an inclination that their website was built by a web designer who has never come across a web browser before :)

Also the website has no details about the restaurant/warehouse/commercial unit where the food is made - just a registered address of an office in Central London that is not a commercial kitchen.

More worryingly, there are no reviews about this company on the internet and as a young un from a family that was in this business 30-40 years ago. I will give you odds on this company sprouted up overnight when Brentford were tendering a contract for someone to supply Indian food earlier this year.

Hold on. A quick check on Companies House shows that this private company was formed just 6 months ago when Brentford were tendering contracts out for food.

Bet you the cooking is not done from a typical food establishment with all the certificates of hygiene and whatever one would expect when supplying food to the members of the general public. More likely a house. I thought Brentford would do some due diligence and get a supplier that has some history and feedback in the trade.

Oh well, Seen it all before. There's countless stories of such operations and a dodgy website when it comes to Indian food. Believe me...
Awfully close to slander of goods/defamation here on the basis of thinking £2 is too much for something your wife makes better, a rummage around the coding of a website and a company search. Why?

Pretty much everyone who’s commented on this thread about the actual samosas having tried them has been positive. The company only got a short trial and the feedback on here has not been “dodgy company, bin em” but “can you start selling in other stands”.

Being Asian myself I know we can get very protective of family cooking (not me generally, I’m a rare Bengali who hates fish so I don’t get too chauvinistic about the cuisine) but it’s very weird to get so hung up over what most seem to agree is one of the good innovations in the BCS catering offer.
 

Samosas

Are the samosas in dugout the thin crispy triangular ones you generally get most in UK? Or the more ball shape ones with shortcrust pastry? I like the latter which you find less.
Can you folks from an Asian background tell me the difference - is it regional or are they considered almost different dishes like a pasty and a pie and lazy Brits just call them all samosas?
 

Samosas

Are the samosas in dugout the thin crispy triangular ones you generally get most in UK? Or the more ball shape ones with shortcrust pastry? I like the latter which you find less.
Can you folks from an Asian background tell me the difference - is it regional or are they considered almost different dishes like a pasty and a pie and lazy Brits just call them all samosas?
I’ve never seen anything non-triangular described as a samosa before your post. Hope that helps.
 

Samosas

There is a stall in the rapidly decaying Pavillions centre in Uxbridge that does excellent samosas.
The only thing I miss about the whole awful time I was sent there for work.
 

Samosas

The first thing I thought when I saw the pricing of the samosas was how reasonabe they seem to be if I’m honest. To be able to buy anything sort of fresh food in a football ground for £2 is quite a novelty!
 

Samosas

Must be the cheapest food food you can buy at football and also the best??‍♂️
 

Samosas

There is a stall in the rapidly decaying Pavillions centre in Uxbridge that does excellent samosas.
The only thing I miss about the whole awful time I was sent there for work.
I know the ones. Have acquired the pound or two eating those over the years.
 

Samosas

I’ve never seen anything non-triangular described as a samosa before your post. Hope that helps.
Maybe a poor description. This vs this. Ones flat, like filo and ones a ball
 

Attachments

  • 083B768F-4331-472A-A74F-97EAC627F1E9.jpeg
    083B768F-4331-472A-A74F-97EAC627F1E9.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 21
  • 0639A71F-47EC-4473-BDC9-84D386F28DCF.jpeg
    0639A71F-47EC-4473-BDC9-84D386F28DCF.jpeg
    785 KB · Views: 19

Samosas

Lol so true, I just told my loved ones the same about it being £2 a samosa and typical Punjabi business mentality, they said why don't we cook them from mum and set up a stand outside the stadium and undercut the prices these crooks are charging.

£2 a samosa is what I would expect to pay at some luxury hotel like Cliveden House, not at a football stadium.
Am amazed people think that is a fair price to pay for a samosa.
Some people might say that it’s criminal to charge £5 for a pint of beer … after all, it’s only made from water, hops, malt and barley …
 

Samosas

Awfully close to slander of goods/defamation here on the basis of thinking £2 is too much for something your wife makes better, a rummage around the coding of a website and a company search. Why?

Pretty much everyone who’s commented on this thread about the actual samosas having tried them has been positive. The company only got a short trial and the feedback on here has not been “dodgy company, bin em” but “can you start selling in other stands”.

Being Asian myself I know we can get very protective of family cooking (not me generally, I’m a rare Bengali who hates fish so I don’t get too chauvinistic about the cuisine) but it’s very weird to get so hung up over what most seem to agree is one of the good innovations in the BCS catering offer.
I think you’re being very charitable calling it ‘weird’ - I thought I was reading a pilot for an episode of MacIntyre Investigates.
 

Samosas

Some people might say that it’s criminal to charge £5 for a pint of beer … after all, it’s only made from water, hops, malt and barley …
Its the yeast that makes beer really expensive and putting the malt in twice doesn't help ;)
 

Samosas

:D:D:D

This thread is priceless (unlike the £6 for 3 samosas). What did I start last night, only GPGers could have an argument about the price of Samosas on a Friday night. Love the MacIntyre Investigates comment above.

If one is taking £2 for one samosa in silo then it is expensive (as my mum would say that is 200 rupees and you can buy 50 cups of masala chai for that in Bombay), but as other have mentioned it is probably consistent for an event (and companies need to cover their overheads)

Not a fan of Dishoom for dinner (limited choice) but they do excellent breakfast and the bacon naan roll is just lush.
 

Samosas

Poojas Tooting - best samosas in London. 3 for £1

i’ll be bringing a bag to the next evening game, but only because I don’t sit in the dugouts so can‘t buy them at the ground. Overpriced for sure, but I’d happily pay the inflated price for the much inferior samosas for convenience sake and I guess that‘s why they get away with charging £6
 

Samosas

I heard that there will be an exciting announcement regarding samosas, soon :sneakoff:
 

Samosas

I would like to announce that the Samosas yesterday were wonderful

Ideal pre match meal for a 530 game....
 

Samosas

All this talk about price. Anyone got any idea what the club charge them per game to sell ?

bigger the rent higher the sales price. I would guess the rent per hour, you will need to sell a good few just to cover this.

this is not a pop at the club either. Just the way these things work
 

Samosas

I'm addicted to the DO bar Samosas. Just wish they served a decent pint of L Pride to wash them down, it really is rank, what's the best email address to get some Pride action?
 

Samosas

I'm addicted to the DO bar Samosas. Just wish they served a decent pint of L Pride to wash them down, it really is rank, what's the best email address to get some Pride action?

Nothing wrong with the prides we had yesterday.
 

Samosas

Nothing wrong with the prides we had yesterday.
Must be choosing a dodgy pump, group of 5 of us all said same thing, flat, look awful & tasted crap. That's not the 1st time either.
 

Samosas

Must be choosing a dodgy pump, group of 5 of us all said same thing, flat, look awful & tasted crap. That's not the 1st time either.
West Stand I almost had one of those but the server poured it down the sink before even handing it to me.
 
Back
Top Bottom