That Oldham flag

Status
Not open for further replies.

That Oldham flag

good minton said:
Abuse the flag ? i'm sure that the IRA fly their tricolour with pride and yet no one denies them a celebratory day, in fact the mayor of london positively encourages it.
so do you really think it's not the PC brigade who deny us good english folk ?

Er...what's this IRA celebratory day that the Mayor allows? Or are you confusing St Patricks Day with something else?
 

That Oldham flag

Its a point about those extremist groups abusing flags. Some, whose flag is 'abused' by murderers, are positively encouraged to celebrate a national day in London. If you had read the quoted post and the reply correctly you would have seen this.
 
Last edited:

That Oldham flag

This is all silly, I have read all this thread and I still do not understand how anyone can become so offended by the flag to complain to stewards/police radio etc etc.
You're all mad !

I must therefore now be a neo nazi extremist.................
 

That Oldham flag

good minton said:
Its a point about those extremist groups abusing flags. Some, whose flag is 'abused' by murderers, are positively encouraged to celebrate a national day in London. If you had read the quoted post and the reply correctly you would have seen this.
I did read the post correctly but if you look at your first quote you casually link the IRA with 'them'...
good minton said:
i'm sure that the IRA fly their tricolour with pride and yet no one denies them a celebratory day, in fact the mayor of london positively encourages it.
Whether you meant it or not, it reads as if you are suggesting that the IRA and the Irish people are one and the same. This is not the case just as the BNP don't represent the majority of English people.

Anyway, I agree about extremist groups abusing flags. In this country the English flag and the Union Jack were definitely hi-jacked by the far right in the 70s and 80s. Thankfully this is now changing as can be seen by the amount of St George flags you now see on ads, in pubs, on cars, at cricket, etc...

As for the Oldham flag, I wasn't offended on Saturday and thought nothing of it.
 

That Oldham flag

Paul Maddy.

Didn't you used to play for us.
 

That Oldham flag

good minton said:
Abuse the flag ? i'm sure that the IRA fly their tricolour with pride and yet no one denies them a celebratory day, in fact the mayor of london positively encourages it.
so do you really think it's not the PC brigade who deny us good english folk ?

Being a member of the IRA is not quite the same as being Irish. The Irish celebrate St. Patrick's day, as do the IRA most probably, being Irish. Not all Irish are members of the IRA however, so your point is utter gibberish.

And whoever said you are, I quote 'good english folk'? Are you the self appointed judge of what is and isn't 'good' and 'english'?! You make yourself sound like a hobbit living in some rural, idyllic paradise resembling the shire. I expect you live in Hounslow though, not quite the same eh.

What exactly are you being denied? The right to wave your national flag? No. The right to wave a flag with a worryingly extreme right undertone? Good.

If you feel so strongly about it, and the fact that the scots get away with wearing their tartans and blowing their bagpipes, I suggest you come to the next home game covered in bells and waving handkerchiefs, and morris dance the players out of the tunnel as the game begins.
 

That Oldham flag

alexinho said:
Being a member of the IRA is not quite the same as being Irish. The Irish celebrate St. Patrick's day, as do the IRA most probably, being Irish. Not all Irish are members of the IRA however, so your point is utter gibberish.


what would you say about a Scot walking around with the Irish tricolour, Celtic badge in the middle, and the Irish words translated as 'Our time will come' written on it.

not a member of the IRA as far as i know?
 

That Oldham flag

alexinho said:
You really embarassed yourself with that post too. Nobody is trying to stamp out patriotism. People disagreed with the slogan on the flag. Nobody has said the flag itself without the slogan was unacceptable.

I agree with this - it's the slogan people disagreed with not the flag itself FFS! And it's all getting a bit Daily Mail on here. Everybody just calm down...!

:nono:
 

That Oldham flag

The H said:
what would you say about a Scot walking around with the Irish tricolour, Celtic badge in the middle, and the Irish words translated as 'Our time will come' written on it.

not a member of the IRA as far as i know?

Sorry mate, I'm not sure I understand...

Was this guy at the game on Saturday too?
 

That Oldham flag

this still going on!!??!! :zzzzz:
 

That Oldham flag

This is getting silly.

Haven't we got more important things to talk about, like keeping our club going.
 

That Oldham flag

Julian Mann said:
This is getting silly.

Haven't we got more important things to talk about, like keeping our club going.

Indeed. :sad:
 

That Oldham flag

WarrenBee said:
Can't be asked to read through this lot, but it's a crying shame that some of our supporters can't be more vocal in trying to rid our club of the people that have allowed us to become 8 Million in debt.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Exactly what I said on sunday morning.

:wave:
 

That Oldham flag

Les Beeavinu said:
Everyone should support Newcastle. A model for racial harmony. :love2:

They don't blend, they clash :wave:
 

That Oldham flag

Quite bizarre. The flag presumably states two facts and one intention. Anything else is just fantasy.
 

That Oldham flag

markbfc said:
What is the world coming too? Celebrate St.Patrick's day until you are blue in the face but don't even think about doing the same for St.George. :mad:
:sorted:

I make a point of telling mates who ask if im coming for a few Guinness on St Pat's Day where to shove the 'hilarious' hats they will no doubt be sporting after buying four pints (nothing against the Irish, just not my national day), and ask if they're going to join me in taking St George's Day off work, as I do every year, to raise a glass (or 10) to OUR heritage.
 

That Oldham flag

I wasn't born in England, ****ed if I'd live there at the moment, but if I had to be dead anywhere Oldham would be about right.

Probably cost too much to get that on a flag though. :)

I celebrate St Patricks Day, St David's day and St Georges day and it's got little to do with patriotism. :beer:
 

That Oldham flag

Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

:sorted:
 

That Oldham flag

WarrenBee said:
Exactly what I said on sunday morning.

:wave:

stop talking to yourself :nono: :D


youre quite right though as througout the years theres also a certain type of brentford supporter who is quite happy to get other BEES fans nicked for absolutely anything..............i'd like to rid the club of this scum ;)
 

That Oldham flag

My messages have been removed....cheers Ed or nana :rolleyes:

In case 'pompeybee' missed it...I'd rather you worried about what you've done in connection with our £8m debt rather than an English flag...have you ever done anything proactive? Or are you happy slagging off folk who are proud of their country...people like you....
 

That Oldham flag

Davee said:
Get Slightly ill.
Go to West Mid.
Die in England.

Born in England
Retire to the coast
Die alone
 

That Oldham flag

Brickie Chap said:
My messages have been removed....cheers Ed or nana :rolleyes:
Yes, your abusive messages were removed. Count yourself lucky that I didn't give you a suspension, like LostBee and hanworthbee got for their rubbish on this thread. Why do some people have to get so worked up about this and fly into a fury when they discover that not everyone agrees with them? Keep to the code of conduct, make your points, but don't resort to abusing people with different opinions.
 

That Oldham flag

Carri Bee Un said:
I wasn't born in England, ****ed if I'd live there at the moment, but if I had to be dead anywhere Oldham would be about right.

Probably cost too much to get that on a flag though. :)

I celebrate St Patricks Day, St David's day and St Georges day and it's got little to do with patriotism. :beer:
Why do you discriminate against St Andrew's day? ;)
 

That Oldham flag

Me thinks that this thread is finally coming to an end.

It's been nearly 4 hours since a message has been posted.

But it will proberbly all get started up again once the Chronnie comes out tomorrow.
 

That Oldham flag

The future success of any football club will depend on being able to attract supporters from as wide a spectrum of their community as possible. The image of the club and its involvement with the local community are all important and here lie some of BFC's strengths.
I too am fervently against political correctness when it is inappropriate, disproportionate or patronising.
The Oldham's display of the flag was not a patriotic gesture. It would have been at an England game. The writing on the flag was not racist, but quite clearly xenophobic. I live in Bradford and and work in the NHS and am only too aware of local sensitivities and also the great contribution and often great patriotism of our population whether they are first, second or third generation immigrants.
I love my football club and so do my children and I want it to be successful in the
future. Brentford have taken the right stance on racism and and on being a friendly and welcoming football club. Absolutely the right decision was taken on saturday
to request removal of a deliberately offending flag. Those from Oldham should know better and certainly their officials should take the same action if the flag is displayed at their ground. I shall be there and shall protest if it is displayed and shall also protest if similar flags are brought to BFC from any other club.
Well done BFC!
 

That Oldham flag

I hope you've got a tin helmet grepo...................;)
 

That Oldham flag

Well I've read a few pages of this but now I've got to go down the pub so forgive me if I've missed any salient points between pages 3 & this one.

I really hope I don't bump into any black people on the way as I've just found out that my hanging of a large cross of St George at Brentford games makes me a foaming at the mouth racist :rolleyes:
 

That Oldham flag

Not wishing to get involved, but, I dont think anyone objects to the hanging of a St George flag, the objection is about what was written on this particular flag.
 

That Oldham flag

California Bee said:
Why do you discriminate against St Andrew's day? ;)

Because I couldn't remember the sweaty one's name :sorted:

Bored in Oldham
Porn in Hedges
Dead leg.
 

That Oldham flag

Loughtonbee said:
Well I've read a few pages of this but now I've got to go down the pub so forgive me if I've missed any salient points between pages 3 & this one.

I really hope I don't bump into any black people on the way as I've just found out that my hanging of a large cross of St George at Brentford games makes me a foaming at the mouth racist :rolleyes:
Flags no problem with anyone so far as I can see.......

It's the statement on it that has been interpreted by different people in different ways. I am as patriotic as the next man but when I saw it unfurled (probably an assumption because of history of tension in area) I thought it was confromtational, and fully understand why some fans objected.

I'm pretty sure that in some countries it is a criminal offence to deface the flag i.e. write anything on it at all.

This shouldn't have turned into people claiming to be part black, yellow, red, white, whatever deciding they are the only ones qualified to judge if offensive. In their view it wasn't so therefore anyone who doesn't agree should f***k off and support someone else.

You have your opinion and that's fine but you won't bully everyone into agreeing with you.

It now is rumoured by an Oldham fan and unsubstantiated I know that the flag belongs to an racist chav and so maybe people who saw it as more than a harmless statement were right.

If you read elsewhere the bloke who stuck the flag
 

That Oldham flag

Julian Mann said:
Paul Maddy.

Didn't you used to play for us.

Not me I'm afraid. He was a poor Brentford left midfielder whereas I am an flair left back for my work 5-a-side team.

In all fairness I did choose my user name in honour of him. He seemed to sum up my early experiences of watching Brentford in the 80s; generally rubbish but the odd spectacular goal.

Those Oldham fans wouldn't have liked him though as he was born in Wales... :fishing:
 

That Oldham flag

Edmundo said:
Yes, your abusive messages were removed. Count yourself lucky that I didn't give you a suspension, like LostBee and hanworthbee got for their rubbish on this thread. Why do some people have to get so worked up about this and fly into a fury when they discover that not everyone agrees with them? Keep to the code of conduct, make your points, but don't resort to abusing people with different opinions.



Oh do get over yourself, you jumped up gatekeeper. Its always the same with you...
 

That Oldham flag

Edmundo said:
Yes, your abusive messages were removed. .


...but is ok for you to post abusive messages concerning LB and DW whilst hiding behind your pc....gutless wonder...
 

That Oldham flag

alexinho said:
Being a member of the IRA is not quite the same as being Irish. The Irish celebrate St. Patrick's day, as do the IRA most probably, being Irish. Not all Irish are members of the IRA however, so your point is utter gibberish.

And whoever said you are, I quote 'good english folk'? Are you the self appointed judge of what is and isn't 'good' and 'english'?! You make yourself sound like a hobbit living in some rural, idyllic paradise resembling the shire. I expect you live in Hounslow though, not quite the same eh.

What exactly are you being denied? The right to wave your national flag? No. The right to wave a flag with a worryingly extreme right undertone? Good.

If you feel so strongly about it, and the fact that the scots get away with wearing their tartans and blowing their bagpipes, I suggest you come to the next home game covered in bells and waving handkerchiefs, and morris dance the players out of the tunnel as the game begins.

Ever thought about pulling your head out of your arse?? :wave:

Theres nothing wrong with the flag and its a sad day when people get so annoyed about someone being patriotic.

The fact we cant even put a st georges flag up in hounslow high street because its deemed as racist is a joke. People being patriotic keep the country alive and look where ours is heading.............

What if the guy whos flag it was had a relative killed on 7/7??? Still racist?? Think not.
 

That Oldham flag

Supposing you were of Caribbean or Asian descent but you were a second generation English-born person who felt so patriotic about England and being English that you raised the flag of St. George on your home in, say, Harrow or Yiewsley?
 

That Oldham flag

California Bee said:
Supposing you were of Caribbean or Asian descent but you were a second generation English-born person who felt so patriotic about England and being English that you raised the flag of St. George on your home in, say, Harrow or Yiewsley?

....how big would the flag be ? You would need to take account of this when considering how you were going to support it structually.
....secondly, you would need to ensure it was firmly attached and not likely to fall off and potentially cause damage to other community users.
......thirdly what point would you be trying to prove and would it be worth it ?
 

That Oldham flag

sonofabee said:
Flags no problem with anyone so far as I can see.......

It's the statement on it that has been interpreted by different people in different ways. I am as patriotic as the next man but when I saw it unfurled (probably an assumption because of history of tension in area) I thought it was confrontational, and fully understand why some fans objected.

This shouldn't have turned into people claiming to be part black, yellow, red, white, whatever deciding they are the only ones qualified to judge if offensive. In their view it wasn't so therefore anyone who doesn't agree should f***k off and support someone else.

You have your opinion and that's fine but you won't bully everyone into agreeing with you.

:sorted: :sorted: Agree totally.
 

That Oldham flag

I am English, I wish I was born on the Isle of Wight.

Ah, Alan Sands, the gay coachdriver. The Needles, on Shanklin beach!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom