Wayne Rooney

Wayne Rooney

So people think its beneficial to boo him? If the he was played in his natural position we might get somewhere. Likewise at Utd.

Problem is some expect him especially in the past to win us World cups and Euros on his own.

I will clap and respect him for his service. And at 31 i still think hes a class act.

I doubt they think it's beneficial. I think they're simply making it obvious their disapproval of his selection.

I think he's been alright for us but far from a great.
I agree with this guy:
http://talksport.com/football/why-wayne-rooney-not-england-great-opinion-150907165690
Will personally certainly never consider him an England great striker to remember along with the likes of Hurst/Greaves/Lineker/Shearer even Owen at a push. As such I find it a shame he has the goal record over strikers who I think performed far better for England.

Having said that I wouldn't boo him personally though. It doesn't help.
 

Wayne Rooney

Second best of a bad bunch?

2nd best in what was available. Dearth of genuine premier league talent can be seen by the side England u21 just fielded. Some years back that side would have had top league regulars in it. Now it is loaned out players or some who get occasional bench time.
 

Wayne Rooney

I doubt they think it's beneficial. I think they're simply making it obvious their disapproval of his selection.

I think he's been alright for us but far from a great.
I agree with this guy:
http://talksport.com/football/why-wayne-rooney-not-england-great-opinion-150907165690
Will personally certainly never consider him an England great striker to remember along with the likes of Hurst/Greaves/Lineker/Shearer even Owen at a push. As such I find it a shame he has the goal record over strikers who I think performed far better for England.

Having said that I wouldn't boo him personally though. It doesn't help.

Hurst was ordinary but scored a well known hat trick. How good were England when Lineker and Shearer played? Could they play in a multitude of positions?
 

Wayne Rooney

So why are the fans and media booing him then?

Some people dont like him because he isnt as good as the media hyped him up to be.
Some people dont like him because he is rich and and in the public eye.
Some people dont like him because they think he is arrogant, a cheat etc.
Lets be honest, the bloke cant win with some people.

The media dont like him because they hyped him up beyond his means and it sells papers by slamming him back down to Earth.

Anybody that simply just thinks he shouldnt be in this England team, based on footballing reasons, wouldnt be the ones booing him - in my opinion
 

Wayne Rooney

Rooney wasnt awful in the slightest at the Euros.
Was our second BEST player

Sorry he was atrocious when it mattered in the knockout game vs Iceland. I thought he'd been drugged he couldn't control it or pass to us second half.
 

Wayne Rooney

I doubt they think it's beneficial. I think they're simply making it obvious their disapproval of his selection.

I think he's been alright for us but far from a great.
I agree with this guy:
http://talksport.com/football/why-wayne-rooney-not-england-great-opinion-150907165690
Will personally certainly never consider him an England great striker to remember along with the likes of Hurst/Greaves/Lineker/Shearer even Owen at a push. As such I find it a shame he has the goal record over strikers who I think performed far better for England.

Having said that I wouldn't boo him personally though. It doesn't help.

But hes selected so leave it at that...... Why boo him in the game?

As for the bold, what did they ever achieve or add more to England then WR????

If anything Shearer walked away from England. Dont see Rooney doing that.
 

Wayne Rooney

Some people dont like him because he isnt as good as the media hyped him up to be.
Some people dont like him because he is rich and and in the public eye.
Some people dont like him because they think he is arrogant, a cheat etc.
Lets be honest, the bloke cant win with some people.

The media dont like him because they hyped him up beyond his means and it sells papers by slamming him back down to Earth.

Anybody that simply just thinks he shouldnt be in this England team, based on footballing reasons, wouldnt be the ones booing him - in my opinion

100%

I think he is/was good enough.......... But the media expected too much of him and it will be the same for the likes of Rashford and Barkley. The same happened with the generation before, Beckham etc. English players will never be loved as expectations are too high.
 

Wayne Rooney

But hes selected so leave it at that...... Why boo him in the game?

As for the bold, what did they ever achieve or add more to England then WR????

If anything Shearer walked away from England. Dont see Rooney doing that.

Lineker scored in knock out games in the final stages of major tournaments which is what great goal scorers do, Rooney hasn't scored anywhere near enough in the big games.
 

Wayne Rooney

I've always thought that it was Ferguson that ruined him. When he went to United he was confident and cocky, would run directly at people, was unpredictable and exciting to watch. Ferguson turned him into a workhorse.
 

Wayne Rooney

Sorry he was atrocious when it mattered in the knockout game vs Iceland. I thought he'd been drugged he couldn't control it or pass to us second half.

In a previous post i did say he was very poor in the Iceland game - but was also the only player that wanted the ball that day too
 

Wayne Rooney

2nd best in what was available. Dearth of genuine premier league talent can be seen by the side England u21 just fielded. Some years back that side would have had top league regulars in it. Now it is loaned out players or some who get occasional bench time.

WE HAVE TO MANY AVERAGER OVERSEA'S PLAYER IN OUR LEAGUES AND IN THE YOUTH SET UPS. U till we get rid of some of theses we will,never be a good national side.
 

Wayne Rooney

Rooney might look good to some because he's in a very poor squad. He's had his chances. Time to go.
 

Wayne Rooney

ITV must have a Rooney CAM

More shots of him so far on the bench than the Manager and most of the players on the pitch !!!!
 

Wayne Rooney

Lineker scored in knock out games in the final stages of major tournaments which is what great goal scorers do, Rooney hasn't scored anywhere near enough in the big games.

I cant disagree totally but IMO Rooney has contribute the same as any striker has in the last 50 odd years.

Hes been in sides that never get to big games because as a team we never perform. Only so much one player can do. Scored more goals then Shearer, Owen or Lineker ever did big games or not. Thats why for me he s a top England player. Anyway without wanting to start a debate on whos the better striker i still think hes getting unfair criticism.
 

Wayne Rooney

As for the bold, what did they ever achieve or add more to England then WR????

Score big goals in important games. Rooney has just racked up plenty against Maltekistan spread over many many years. Rooney isn't a patch on them.
 

Wayne Rooney

Hurst was ordinary but scored a well known hat trick. How good were England when Lineker and Shearer played? Could they play in a multitude of positions?

Hurst I mainly included there for the important hat trick in the most important game we've ever had. I'll defer to anyone's knowledge of how good he was in general as it's before my time - just presumed people would include him (if not fine by me - the rest I stand by) :)
As for playing in a multitude of positions - I find that an irrelevance. I want a player to play in one position well. Not three positions averagely.
 

Wayne Rooney

At least this thread gives me something to debate instead of staring at another joyous England performance.
 

Wayne Rooney

What about Jimmy Greaves. Amazing scoring record at club level and 44 in 57 for England.
 

Wayne Rooney

Well anyway......I've suitably jinxed this enough to make him score tonight ;)
 

Wayne Rooney

Nearly..... Would've kept a few of the moaners quiet if that one went in. lol
 

Wayne Rooney

Nearly..... Would've kept a few of the moaners quiet if that one went in. lol

Didn't though did it

The corner he took did didn't beat the first man did it

The control and pass he made on the right wing didn't stay on the pitch did it

The ball didn't stay in his possession when he took it with his back to goal did it

So forgive me if he scores and Im still saying he isnt due a starting place.
 

Wayne Rooney

Didn't though did it

The corner he took did didn't beat the first man did it

The control and pass he made on the right wing didn't stay on the pitch did it

The ball didn't stay in his possession when he took it with his back to goal did it

So forgive me if he scores and Im still saying he isnt due a starting place.

lol
 

Wayne Rooney

Didn't though did it

The corner he took did didn't beat the first man did it

The control and pass he made on the right wing didn't stay on the pitch did it

The ball didn't stay in his possession when he took it with his back to goal did it

So forgive me if he scores and Im still saying he isnt due a starting place.

People get a little uptight because he starts? Would he have been any worse than the rest of the XI that started this last match? Probably, but he may have done something more than; Walcott, Henderson, Dier and Lingaard.

Anyway, I really don't care. :shrug:

England, as a whole, are a joke at the moment. No manager, no plan, no world class players and no frigging ideas.
 

Wayne Rooney

Did you see Sturridge, Dier and Henderson? lol

I don't see the infatuation with playing Sturridge, he's crap...

I don't know who to replace him with but don't tell me he is better than Rooney...:)
 

Wayne Rooney

Say what you like about whether he is a spent force or not as a player, I personally have massive respect for Rooney for his fantastic attitude as England skipper in the past couple of years, and especially the last couple of days. He's shown the maximum of decorum in the circumstances. He could easily have walked away or thrown his toys in the air. He certainly doesn't need the money. And yet he has clearly shown that he is passionate about the cause, whether on the pitch or in the dug-out. All the camera shots of him showed him entirely focused on the plight of the team. Very good pro, and refreshing to see so little ego amongst the PL prima donnas.
 

Wayne Rooney

I'd prefer Rooney to Sturridge...
He isn't world class but he is better than him.
 

Wayne Rooney

Didn't though did it

The corner he took did didn't beat the first man did it

The control and pass he made on the right wing didn't stay on the pitch did it

The ball didn't stay in his possession when he took it with his back to goal did it

So forgive me if he scores and Im still saying he isnt due a starting place.

I think all of Hendersons corners would have been No Balls in cricket :(
 

Wayne Rooney

These last few days have brought it home to me just how little I care about this bloke.
 

Wayne Rooney

He is still very, very average. Unfortunately, so are most of him team mates. A lot of money for paid a distinctly average footballer, no matter how keen he might be to play for his country.
 

Wayne Rooney

Didn't though did it

The corner he took did didn't beat the first man did it

The control and pass he made on the right wing didn't stay on the pitch did it

The ball didn't stay in his possession when he took it with his back to goal did it

So forgive me if he scores and Im still saying he isnt due a starting place.

He may very well not be due a starting place but you're going to have a very tough job convincing me that a midfield of Henderson and Dyer or Sturridge as centre forward are anything approaching an upgrade.
 

Wayne Rooney

Englands record ever goalscorer and Man Uniteds 2nd highest goalscorer. Not doing bad for someone thats "average" or "overrated"

He might not be as good as he used to be, but he's still in Englands best 11, easily.
 

Wayne Rooney

Probably one of the most over rated footballers of our time, benefiting from a media frenzy desperate to sell "football to the masses". How many goals has he scored at major international tournaments for England?.. He is nothing player compared to Gary Lineker or Alan Shearer and shows that England have been going backwards for many years now, despite the "so called" best league in the world.
 

Wayne Rooney

What about Jimmy Greaves. Amazing scoring record at club level and 44 in 57 for England.
Scoring record great but if games against poor opposition don't count as seems to be the Rooney case. How many did he score?
 

Wayne Rooney

Englands record ever goalscorer and Man Uniteds 2nd highest goalscorer. Not doing bad for someone thats "average" or "overrated"

He might not be as good as he used to be, but he's still in Englands best 11, easily.

Seriously? Like, seriously?

Just watch him the next game he plays, watch how many things he tries that don't come off. He is so far past his best (when he could have probably got in a world XI) it's laughable.
 

Wayne Rooney

http://talksport.com/football/why-wayne-rooney-not-england-great-opinion-150907165690
Will personally certainly never consider him an England great striker to remember along with the likes of Hurst/Greaves/Lineker/Shearer even Owen at a push. .

I don't think anyone will disagree with that article and I think it sums up what most people see but I do think beating the all time scoring record is something he needs more credit for. If we are talking about "great" goals only then Owen shouldn't be higher in the list because other than the Argentina goal when he was also 18 all of his were manly tap ins. Rooney has scored some fantastic goals for England as his youtube video will prove but people don't want to see that.
 
Back
Top Bottom