Another Manager Poll

Who Should Be the Latest Next Manager?

  • Nicky Forster

    Votes: 139 27.0%
  • Gary Johnson

    Votes: 66 12.8%
  • Martin Allen

    Votes: 76 14.8%
  • Chris Hughton

    Votes: 47 9.1%
  • Steve Coppell

    Votes: 78 15.2%
  • Alan Curbishley

    Votes: 42 8.2%
  • Roberto di Matteo

    Votes: 82 16.0%
  • Paulo Sousa

    Votes: 10 1.9%
  • Dean Holdsworth

    Votes: 14 2.7%
  • Paul Buckle

    Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Keith Hill

    Votes: 10 1.9%
  • Jim Magilton

    Votes: 8 1.6%
  • Director of Football / Forster

    Votes: 126 24.5%
  • Someone Else (Please Add Name to Thread)

    Votes: 18 3.5%

  • Total voters
    514
Status
Not open for further replies.

Another Manager Poll

They might not have been big names but were at least mouth watering appointments. After yesterday i now wonder whether its not so much the manager we get but the squad we get. Get a decent squad and a manager like Forster could probably get them up or at least give it a go. Get a better manager with a similar squad to what we have now and it would just end in dissapointment perhaps.

I imagine we'll be trying to get a better manager and a better squad!
 

Another Manager Poll

Doesn't have to be a "big" name IMHO. Look at what Grayson has done at Leeds and Atkins at Southampton.

But they had both already won promotions out of League One. I would be more than satisfied with such an appointment. But if you look at those two clubs that have managed to coax someone who has won promotion out of League 1, they have both been big enough names to persuade a manager to drop a division - something a good 80 percent of clubs at this level, including us, probably wouldn't be able to manage. I still think a decent out-of-work name offers us the best chance.

Keep the faith, there's exciting news around the corner. I'm convinced the board are about to make a statement that will give the club and fans a real boost. Di Matteo or Coppell as manager and setting out a timescale for the move to the new stadium. :sorted:

'It's always darkest just before dawn.'

This is the BFC board you're talking about ;) but I am sure they'll listen to the fans and give the job to Buckle. When someone wrongly tries to tell them that he is the appointment no Bees fan wanted, one of them can reply with: "not true, he got one vote on the GPG Manager Poll." ;)
 

Another Manager Poll

Paul Buckle will concentrate on getting Torquay to the play-offs and no doubt will be flattered by the attention he is grabbing on here,that will be his main priority at the moment.If he can secure a top 7 place for the Gulls and take them to Old Trafford and Lge1 then you cannot expect him to make an announcement,if any,until his season is over.I had two conversations regarding Paul Buckle yesterday one of which was met with total surprise and a"where i heard that from?" He had just come of the phone to him and BFC hadnt been mentioned.The other,after the game,regarded a compensation package for T.U.F.C.I wonder if BFC have approached T.Utd,as he is under contract,and they want a compo package and we wont play ball so all bets are off.Imo i think he would do a good job at GP,but i also think that Fozzy could with the right team behind him.
 

Another Manager Poll

Whoever our new manager is to be, let's get on with his appointment a.s.a.p.

This season is fast coming to a close and too many of our players have evidenced, over the course of this season, that they have no future in League One football.

Decisions have to be made regarding the squad that we need to have in place in little more than 12 weeks time.

Act fast or we will find ourselves with another Leroy and only able to sign duffers out of contract at other clubs.

I get the feeling that, if Fozzie was to be getting the job, he would have been appointed by now. So come on the Brentford Board, get on with it.
 

Another Manager Poll

Paul Buckle will concentrate on getting Torquay to the play-offs and no doubt will be flattered by the attention he is grabbing on here,that will be his main priority at the moment.If he can secure a top 7 place for the Gulls and take them to Old Trafford and Lge1 then you cannot expect him to make an announcement,if any,until his season is over.I had two conversations regarding Paul Buckle yesterday one of which was met with total surprise and a"where i heard that from?" He had just come of the phone to him and BFC hadnt been mentioned.The other,after the game,regarded a compensation package for T.U.F.C.I wonder if BFC have approached T.Utd,as he is under contract,and they want a compo package and we wont play ball so all bets are off.Imo i think he would do a good job at GP,but i also think that Fozzy could with the right team behind him.

horsham bees has had two conversations about paul buckle one of which includes a 'compensation package' for TUFC. That's my quid going on the bucklemeister.
 

Another Manager Poll

I don't understand the criticism regarding the speed of the appointment. Mills told Beesplayer on Saturday that there would be an announcement this week, next week at the latest. And also that plans for next season are "well underway". Suppose some people still wish we'd have gone out and got Johnson or Allen in in February.
 

Another Manager Poll

Paul Buckle at Torquay; Keith Hill at Rochdale; Paul Tisdale at Exeter City; John Still at Daggers
- they have each taken their respective clubs almost as far as they can. Someone like Paul Buckle will be having an eye on how he can move up a notch on the managerial ladder (like Martin Allen), so that's where BFC comes in.

With the likes of Roberto Di Mateo, it's a different matter. He wants to get back into management, question is at what level does he re-enter the game.

We ARE a small club, but a bigger than Torquay, Rochdale, Daggers, etc.
Scunny are struggling on gates of 5000 in the Championship. All the other sides are getting over 10,000.
Buckle's done a decent job, who's to say he is not as talented as Di Mateo? They've worked in quite different circumstances.
 

Another Manager Poll

Paul Buckle at Torquay; Keith Hill at Rochdale; Paul Tisdale at Exeter City; John Still at Daggers
- they have each taken their respective clubs almost as far as they can. Someone like Paul Buckle will be having an eye on how he can move up a notch on the managerial ladder (like Martin Allen), so that's where BFC comes in.

With the likes of Roberto Di Mateo, it's a different matter. He wants to get back into management, question is at what level does he re-enter the game.

We ARE a small club, but a bigger than Torquay, Rochdale, Daggers, etc.
Scunny are struggling on gates of 5000 in the Championship. All the other sides are getting over 10,000.
Buckle's done a decent job, who's to say he is not as talented as Di Mateo? They've worked in quite different circumstances.

You are quite right that no appointment guarentees success but getting somebody like Coppell or Di Matteo, you vastly increase your percentages. I'm sure MB doesn't need telling of that ;) It's like saying if we had a choice between Mourinho and Buckle, there's no guarentee one way or the other but I know who I'd prefer in charge.
 

Another Manager Poll

ok, i put my hands up and this is why i think i have been a bit mean towards buckle.

i remember buckle the player as, well, rather average. i think subconsciously i rate his management skills similarly to those i remember him having as a player. to give him his due, yes, he has done well in devon and maybe, he could just work out with us.

however, i do still just wonder about his contacts. will he have many outside the south west? that's hardly a hotbed of footballing talent.
 

Another Manager Poll

ok, i put my hands up and this is why i think i have been a bit mean towards buckle.

i remember buckle the player as, well, rather average. i think subconsciously i rate his management skills similarly to those i remember him having as a player. to give him his due, yes, he has done well in devon and maybe, he could just work out with us.

however, i do still just wonder about his contacts. will he have many outside the south west? that's hardly a hotbed of footballing talent.

Most ( not all) successful managers were average players or players who did not achieve their potential, must be some driven thing. For examples look no further at most PL managers with maybe the exception of Hughes.
 

Another Manager Poll

Most ( not all) successful managers were average players or players who did not achieve their potential, must be some driven thing. For examples look no further at most PL managers with maybe the exception of Hughes.

exactly... and vice versa... great players don't often make great managers... geoff hurst, bobby moore, alan ball, bobby charlton, terry butcher, paul gascoigne, murray jones... all great players who have never reproduced that greatness in management...
 

Another Manager Poll

I think to be fair there have been times in the past when the manager's vacancy has been going here that the names of Wilder, Daish and other Conference managers who were doing well at the time were being seriously suggested. So it makes me wonder if we are being a bit unreasonable over the likes of Tisdale, Hill and Buckle, all of whom have (so far) done a decent job with their clubs. The thing that I must keep stressing is I feel we would do better with out of work managers. If Di Matteo is improbable, is Coppell possible?
 

Another Manager Poll

ok, i put my hands up and this is why i think i have been a bit mean towards buckle.

i remember buckle the player as, well, rather average. i think subconsciously i rate his management skills similarly to those i remember him having as a player. to give him his due, yes, he has done well in devon and maybe, he could just work out with us.

however, i do still just wonder about his contacts. will he have many outside the south west? that's hardly a hotbed of footballing talent.

He has plenty of contacts in this area.A good scouting network is what he requires and what he has got.
 

Another Manager Poll

I think to be fair there have been times in the past when the manager's vacancy has been going here that the names of Wilder, Daish and other Conference managers who were doing well at the time were being seriously suggested. So it makes me wonder if we are being a bit unreasonable over the likes of Tisdale, Hill and Buckle, all of whom have (so far) done a decent job with their clubs. The thing that I must keep stressing is I feel we would do better with out of work managers. If Di Matteo is improbable, is Coppell possible?

I'm not stuck on the big name thing as it guarantees nothing. Coppell was great but remember he finished third and lost a playoff with arguably the best squad we've had for 50 + years. I'd like it to be Fozzy but if it isn't I'd like the new man to have the right football philosophy.
 

Another Manager Poll

I'm not stuck on the big name thing as it guarantees nothing. Coppell was great but remember he finished third and lost a playoff with arguably the best squad we've had for 50 + years. I'd like it to be Fozzy but if it isn't I'd like the new man to have the right football philosophy.

To be fair to Coppell he may have had the best team for many years, but not the best squad. The main reason for missing out on promotion may have been that we had to field unfit players near the end as we had no decent cover
 

Another Manager Poll

Hold your pound for now.Not sure where mine is going yet.:sorted:

2 weeks ago you told us the new manager already knew he had the job.
UNFAIR ! :moo:
What happenned to your excellent source, the friend of the ex-Crawley assistant manager who was at Crawley when they were crap ?
 

Another Manager Poll

I'm not stuck on the big name thing as it guarantees nothing. Coppell was great but remember he finished third and lost a playoff with arguably the best squad we've had for 50 + years. I'd like it to be Fozzy but if it isn't I'd like the new man to have the right football philosophy.

I just want it sorted ASAP so the man whoever he is can start the planning for next season.
 

Another Manager Poll

To be fair to Coppell he may have had the best team for many years, but not the best squad. The main reason for missing out on promotion may have been that we had to field unfit players near the end as we had no decent cover

I don't disagree with that but you could argue that Coppell should have addressed that issue- it simply reinforces my view that there's no guarantee of success. Let's hope we have an announcement before the Hudders game.
 

Another Manager Poll


Blimey ,thats worth listening to ! What a twist at the end ,didnt see that coming !

I assume that Nicky's or Warbs are not going to get the job full time or it would of been announced . I assume its a manager already in a job which they will announce after the season has finished . So we have to wait for a week .
 

Another Manager Poll

Blimey ,thats worth listening to ! What a twist at the end ,didnt see that coming !

I assume that Nicky's or Warbs are not going to get the job full time or it would of been announced . I assume its a manager already in a job which they will announce after the season has finished . So we have to wait for a week .

Agreed, but somehow I just don't think it's going to be Keith Hill or Paul Buckle. Who at this stage I just havn't got a Scooby??
 

Another Manager Poll

.......... Bin Laden off the list then.........
 

Another Manager Poll

2 weeks ago you told us the new manager already knew he had the job.
UNFAIR ! :moo:
What happenned to your excellent source, the friend of the ex-Crawley assistant manager who was at Crawley when they were crap ?
Had a really good natter with him on saturday at GP,answered all my questions regarding what was going on here and gave me some satisfactory answers.Introduced my mate to a regular poster on here outside stripes bar who listened to what was said.Saw some mates,also gpgers,at ht and told them what I knew.There has been a twist in the saga of GP management speculation which put a smile on me face I must admit.Those who have pm me and whose e_mails I have will be told asap.They know who they are.
 

Another Manager Poll

I think to be fair there have been times in the past when the manager's vacancy has been going here that the names of Wilder, Daish and other Conference managers who were doing well at the time were being seriously suggested. So it makes me wonder if we are being a bit unreasonable over the likes of Tisdale, Hill and Buckle, all of whom have (so far) done a decent job with


their clubs. The thing that I must keep stressing is I feel we would do better with out of work managers. If Di Matteo is improbable, is Coppell possible?

Sweepy,

The high profile names originally rumoured to be on the shortlist reflect the ambition and expectations of the board and benefactor. Fact is this is the best chance in my lifetime that we don't necessarily have to shop in the bargain basement and punch above our weight.
As a small selling club, in years gone by we've had to sell our best players to survive before, at least with O'Mara and Deano we waited until we had got promoted. With NF and DJ we took the money over playing at a higher level, MB money suggests that if we get up we may consolidate.
I'm optmistic that despite all the gloom and negative news re on pitch performances and top candidates dropping out of contention, the board will get it right and we'll see wholesale changes and a side that can challenge for honours next term.

I have no knowledge or reason to support my views, purely my glass half full outlook and a belief that the management team knows exactly what needs to happen and will make the best available candidate.
 

Another Manager Poll

Sweepy,

The high profile names originally rumoured to be on the shortlist reflect the ambition and expectations of the board and benefactor. Fact is this is the best chance in my lifetime that we don't necessarily have to shop in the bargain basement and punch above our weight.
As a small selling club, in years gone by we've had to sell our best players to survive before, at least with O'Mara and Deano we waited until we had got promoted. With NF and DJ we took the money over playing at a higher level, MB money suggests that if we get up we may consolidate.I'm optmistic that despite all the gloom and negative news re on pitch performances and top candidates dropping out of contention, the board will get it right and we'll see wholesale changes and a side that can challenge for honours next term.

I have no knowledge or reason to support my views, purely my glass half full outlook and a belief that the management team knows exactly what needs to happen and will make the best available candidate.

I think that's the big difference. In the past it was a case of make do and mend. NF would have automatically been given the job and then fingers crossed from there. MB's backing means that the board can take their time and make the right decisions for the future of the club. I'm optimistic because I feel the increasing stability off the pitch will translate in due course to success on it.
 

Another Manager Poll

I think that's the big difference. In the past it was a case of make do and mend. NF would have automatically been given the job and then fingers crossed from there. MB's backing means that the board can take their time and make the right decisions for the future of the club. I'm optimistic because I feel the increasing stability off the pitch will translate in due course to success on it.

Well I do hope so, because we only have about two or three good quality players on the books and one of them is currently injured. Our new manager has alot of work to do, both on and off the pitch if Bees are to be promotion contenders next season. I like to think we will get some one with a proven track of winning promotions and a winning mentality backed up with a serouis budget to bring players with good technical ability and a football brain - i.e players with good movement, can move the ball fast and also play one touch football and score with either feet.

We dont have much "spine" of a team, because (in part) we are/have been too reliant on many loan players but hopefully this will change in the next few years as we learn to develop young players who can play at a higher level than league 3.
 

Another Manager Poll

I posted some time ago that we should appoint a new Manager before the end of the season so that he could have a chance to experiment in actual League games and use the knowledge from those games to decide who he wanted to stay and who to go and also have some time to scout for new players. How the hell can we expect a Manager appointed in the close season to have a squad up and ready from day one of the new season?
 

Another Manager Poll

I posted some time ago that we should appoint a new Manager before the end of the season so that he could have a chance to experiment in actual League games and use the knowledge from those games to decide who he wanted to stay and who to go and also have some time to scout for new players. How the hell can we expect a Manager appointed in the close season to have a squad up and ready from day one of the new season?

In an ideal world would agree with you.

The most important thing is we get the right person. Maybe when we know who that person is it will become a bit clearer why he couldn't have been appointed say a month ago which I agree would have been preferable.
 

Another Manager Poll

I hope they do announce the new manager soon because i am sick and tired of impatient children stamping their feet and screaming now now now.
 

Another Manager Poll

I posted some time ago that we should appoint a new Manager before the end of the season so that he could have a chance to experiment in actual League games and use the knowledge from those games to decide who he wanted to stay and who to go and also have some time to scout for new players. How the hell can we expect a Manager appointed in the close season to have a squad up and ready from day one of the new season?

Lets hope Dave, that the new guy has sufficient knowledge already of the squad and possible targets he wants and has those magical contacts that's needed. Like you say we need to hit the ground running but the choice of manager is the overriding factor for me it's got to be right but it's becoming more frustrating the longer it goes on.
 

Another Manager Poll

I dont want it to happen but i reckon its buckle!!!! To me the reason hes not been introduced yet is because Torquay are in the playoffs and Torquay have said we can have him but have to wait to make any announcements until after that. A week or 2 back i remember something in the papers or on the net someone from BFC saying that in the next few days we will have more of an idea. But now it seems that Torquay have made playoffs they are saying no more!!! I think it was AM saying that an announcement could be made within the next week. Could be wrong about that though. I think Buckle would be in charge now if Torquay wernt in the playoffs as 2 weeks ago he could have left Torquay if they were heading for mid-table obscurity. It could all be a coincedence but imho it fits!!! If im also honest i would rather AS back or NF to stay as he has done nothing to WOW anyone. Another name or 2 i wouldnt want but have a bad feeling could be in the frame is Danny Wilson and Alan Irvine. I have a feeling in my water that whovere it is will be far from who we want but i am hoping BFC for a change are going to suprise me and come up with something special!!!!
 

Another Manager Poll

I dont want it to happen but i reckon its buckle!!!! To me the reason hes not been introduced yet is because Torquay are in the playoffs and Torquay have said we can have him but have to wait to make any announcements until after that. A week or 2 back i remember something in the papers or on the net someone from BFC saying that in the next few days we will have more of an idea. But now it seems that Torquay have made playoffs they are saying no more!!! I think it was AM saying that an announcement could be made within the next week. Could be wrong about that though. I think Buckle would be in charge now if Torquay wernt in the playoffs as 2 weeks ago he could have left Torquay if they were heading for mid-table obscurity. It could all be a coincedence but imho it fits!!! If im also honest i would rather AS back or NF to stay as he has done nothing to WOW anyone. Another name or 2 i wouldnt want but have a bad feeling could be in the frame is Danny Wilson and Alan Irvine. I have a feeling in my water that whovere it is will be far from who we want but i am hoping BFC for a change are going to suprise me and come up with something special!!!!

I don't think it's Buckle. Torquay aren't defo in the playoffs yet and if they do get in, they aren't going to want to announce Buckle's departure while the playoffs are on. So Buckle doesn't appear to square with Mills' comment of an imminent announcement. Danny Wilson is a good manager despite Swindon's bomb this year. All successful managers have bad years. The good ones learn from it.
 

Another Manager Poll

I dont want it to happen but i reckon its buckle!!!! To me the reason hes not been introduced yet is because Torquay are in the playoffs and Torquay have said we can have him but have to wait to make any announcements until after that. A week or 2 back i remember something in the papers or on the net someone from BFC saying that in the next few days we will have more of an idea. But now it seems that Torquay have made playoffs they are saying no more!!! I think it was AM saying that an announcement could be made within the next week. Could be wrong about that though. I think Buckle would be in charge now if Torquay wernt in the playoffs as 2 weeks ago he could have left Torquay if they were heading for mid-table obscurity. It could all be a coincedence but imho it fits!!! If im also honest i would rather AS back or NF to stay as he has done nothing to WOW anyone. Another name or 2 i wouldnt want but have a bad feeling could be in the frame is Danny Wilson and Alan Irvine. I have a feeling in my water that whovere it is will be far from who we want but i am hoping BFC for a change are going to suprise me and come up with something special!!!!

I'm sure whoever is appointed won't please everyone, how can it as everyone has their own oppinion but lets hope it pleases most!
 

Another Manager Poll

Agree about Wilson although he wouldn't be top of my list.

Did anyone notice that John Gregory had resigned from his job in Israel?? He certainly wouldn't be top of my list!

I don't think it's Buckle. Torquay aren't defo in the playoffs yet and if they do get in, they aren't going to want to announce Buckle's departure while the playoffs are on. So Buckle doesn't appear to square with Mills' comment of an imminent announcement. Danny Wilson is a good manager despite Swindon's bomb this year. All successful managers have bad years. The good ones learn from it.
 

Another Manager Poll

I don't think it's Buckle. Torquay aren't defo in the playoffs yet and if they do get in, they aren't going to want to announce Buckle's departure while the playoffs are on. So Buckle doesn't appear to square with Mills' comment of an imminent announcement. Danny Wilson is a good manager despite Swindon's bomb this year. All successful managers have bad years. The good ones learn from it.

Yeah i agree mainly but maybe when AM said that, Torquay i dont think were in playoffs and maybe wernt expected to make them. And the fact they are not definately in yet maybe the fact we know no more. In Hindsight i agree Wilson probably wouldnt be the worst. He had to sell 2x 20+ goals a season strikers if im rite in thinking so this no doubtedly would have contributed!!!
 

Another Manager Poll

Also lost his captain Greer at the beginning of the season, plus Morrison - who scored against us - & Simon Cox not too long ago.

Yeah i agree mainly but maybe when AM said that, Torquay i dont think were in playoffs and maybe wernt expected to make them. And the fact they are not definately in yet maybe the fact we know no more. In Hindsight i agree Wilson probably wouldnt be the worst. He had to sell 2x 20+ goals a season strikers if im rite in thinking so this no doubtedly would have contributed!!!
 

Another Manager Poll

I wouldnt mind Mr Coppell along with NF but i have a sneaky suspicion it will be a certain Mr Hoddle (seen at a recent home game making loads of notes). Of course there may be absolutely nothing in it.
 

Another Manager Poll

did mills say an announcement will be made in the next few weeks then?
 

Another Manager Poll

I wouldnt mind Mr Coppell along with NF but i have a sneaky suspicion it will be a certain Mr Hoddle (seen at a recent home game making loads of notes). Of course there may be absolutely nothing in it.

I really hope it isnt him!!!!! I have nothing against hnim really but think hes a bit out of touch in the lower leagues and think it would be the wrong move!!!! Agreed is a big name and probably would draw in a bit of a crowd but could see this going sour very quickly!!!!!
 

Another Manager Poll

I wouldnt mind Mr Coppell along with NF but i have a sneaky suspicion it will be a certain Mr Hoddle (seen at a recent home game making loads of notes). Of course there may be absolutely nothing in it.

The home game attended by Hoddle was against his former club, Swindon, and he has been at every Swindon game since according to my Swindon supprting workmate. He'll be at the County Ground next season.

Danny Wilson would be interesting for us though, his teams seem to play decent enough footy and had Paynter and Austin scoring plenty of goals for him, plus Danny Ward on loan from Bolton. Lost the lot of them which led to a poor season and his sacking, but when you lose 60 goals out of a side you're always going to struggle.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom