Rico Henry

Rico Henry

I do wonder what more he could have done to get selected. He must be gutted.
Not play for a team in the bottom half ?‍♂️ As always, it's names and clubs over actual form and ability.
 

Rico Henry

Not play for a team in the bottom half ?‍♂️ As always, it's names and clubs over actual form and ability.
Pickford, Pope, Guehi, Gallagher, Philips and Ward-Prowse all play for sides in the bottom half. Let's not make more of this than it is. The thing is Southgate prefers playing someone like Trippier at left back because he knows he's likely to be in squad come major tournament. So good to know he can do a job there if needed (like Trippier did against Croatia tbf). Henry is likely to be nowhere near squad come Qatar when Chillwell and Shaw are fit the WC is in 6 months time so he likely wants to stick with players he knows. James Justin is someone he rates highly and has spoken about in the past and injury has kept him out of squads is all.
 

Rico Henry

Pickford, Pope, Guehi, Gallagher, Philips and Ward-Prowse all play for sides in the bottom half. Let's not make more of this than it is. The thing is Southgate prefers playing someone like Trippier at left back because he knows he's likely to be in squad come major tournament. So good to know he can do a job there if needed (like Trippier did against Croatia tbf). Henry is likely to be nowhere near squad come Qatar when Chillwell and Shaw are fit the WC is in 6 months time so he likely wants to stick with players he knows. James Justin is someone he rates highly and has spoken about in the past and injury has kept him out of squads is all.
Sorry Gareth, maybe I should have said "Bottom half teams, who aren't newly promoted or #teamslikeBrentford."?
 

Rico Henry

Absolute travesty of a decision.. still.. recharge and rest well over the summer Rico
 

Rico Henry

Pickford, Pope, Guehi, Gallagher, Philips and Ward-Prowse all play for sides in the bottom half. Let's not make more of this than it is. The thing is Southgate prefers playing someone like Trippier at left back because he knows he's likely to be in squad come major tournament. So good to know he can do a job there if needed (like Trippier did against Croatia tbf). Henry is likely to be nowhere near squad come Qatar when Chillwell and Shaw are fit the WC is in 6 months time so he likely wants to stick with players he knows. James Justin is someone he rates highly and has spoken about in the past and injury has kept him out of squads is all.
Rico over the lump Shaw every time.
 

Rico Henry

It makes you wonder what Rico has to do to get into the England squad. I can only assume that Southgate has rarely watched him live and his making his judgement on the televised game at Old Trafford where maybe Rico did not have the best of games.
However,England's loss is Brentford's gain as he will get a decent rest
 

Rico Henry

Thé sélection is really odd, given the overload of RB’s… but I think Rico would still be a way down the list of LB’s, if they were all fit.
 

Rico Henry

Pickford, Pope, Guehi, Gallagher, Philips and Ward-Prowse all play for sides in the bottom half. Let's not make more of this than it is. The thing is Southgate prefers playing someone like Trippier at left back because he knows he's likely to be in squad come major tournament. So good to know he can do a job there if needed (like Trippier did against Croatia tbf). Henry is likely to be nowhere near squad come Qatar when Chillwell and Shaw are fit the WC is in 6 months time so he likely wants to stick with players he knows. James Justin is someone he rates highly and has spoken about in the past and injury has kept him out of squads is all.
Have to strongly disagree with the bold. We looked awful on the left in the Croatia game. Blind alleys and cutting back in, couldn’t believe an England manger didn’t expect such a basic issue. Improved greatly with a left footed Shaw after that.
For Rico I would have loved him to be in the squad, also shows potential signings the pathway is there. But as others have said from purely selfish reasons I’m very glad he’s getting a rest.
 

Rico Henry

Only just realised that he doesn’t have a single assist in the league this year. Imagine Southgate isn’t unaware of this.
 

Rico Henry

I thought that he put a beauty of a cross in for someone to score. Could be I'm imagining this or the mind really is going.
 

Rico Henry

I am one of Rico's biggest fans and thoroughly agree that he should have been selected but sadly I can't help but feel like that penalty he gave away against Manchester United will have counted against him.

As fans who watch him every week we know it was completely out of character but it was a game that Southgate probably watched and it was incredibly naïve defending (especially against a diving little scrotum like Ronaldo) so probably gave a safety first manager a reason to exclude him.

Your time will come Rico :sorted:
 

Rico Henry

I thought that he put a beauty of a cross in for someone to score. Could be I'm imagining this or the mind really is going.
There have been a few beauties he has created over the season but we lacked the finish.
 

Rico Henry

Maybe I'm old school but I prefer my Left Back to be better at defending than creating goals. When Rico is in a back four there is no better in the Premier League that I've seen.
 

Rico Henry

If you need a full back with speed call Kyle Walker.
If You need a full back with defensive prowess call Aaron WanBissaka.
If You need a full back with Strength and agility call Llorente.
If You need a full back with magic feet call Juan Cuadrado.
If you need a full back that's versatile call Cancelo.
If You need a full back that has set piece focus call Trippier.
If You need a full back that has nice pass accuracy call Joshua Kimmich.
If you need a full back that loves going forward call Achraf Hakimi.

But if you need a full back that can do all these things at the same time call Trent Alexander—Arnold....he'll give you Rico Henry's phone number
?
 

Rico Henry

He does have to work on his end product, but he has been improving in that area. That extra bit of composure in and around the box will see him hit the next level, but interestingly only one LB/LWB scored more goals than him this season - Alonso.

Henry scored the same amount as Robertson!
 

Rico Henry

We know he's good, but I'm not surprised that the bigwigs need a bit more proof. Another solid season and he'll surely be in contention, and who knows, if injuries etc he might even be a wildcard for the World Cup squad... i certainly wouldn't be giving up and going for Jamaica if i were him, but of course that can depend on personal feelings etc and if he's hugely proud of his Jamiacan heritage or whatever, then go for it...
 

Rico Henry

I've never been keen on Southgate as a player and less keen as a manager.
Say's all the right things and is the blue eyed boy of the F.A. I think his luck
will run out soon as his style of play leaves a lot to be desired.
I,m always wary of managers, coaches whose first aim is not to lose.
 

Rico Henry

I’m guessing there are hopes that Chilwell will be fit for the World Cup and maybe Shaw will gain some form if ManU do, then there’s Kyle Walker-Peters, Mitchell and Justin, so no point in trying out others if you’ve got loads of right backs instead!
 

Rico Henry

He’s only played about 30 EPL games. If he remains consistent and even improves then hopefully he will get the call next season.
Rico only playing 30 PL games would be a poor reason to exclude him from consideration.

Justin has only played 36 PL games in the last 2 seasons and by minutes played in that time only has about 300 more than Rico.
 

Rico Henry

In a recent post match interview it was suggested that Rico had done well in making the transition to the Prem. TF's response was less than fulsome - something like he's done ok but there's a lot more in there. Maybe the experts see something we don't?
 

Rico Henry

In a recent post match interview it was suggested that Rico had done well in making the transition to the Prem. TF's response was less than fulsome - something like he's done ok but there's a lot more in there. Maybe the experts see something we don't?
I think TF wants more from him in an attacking sense... It's coming though, was much better with that aspect second half of the season
 

Rico Henry

As a positive, at least he can have an extended rest and come back raring to go for next season.
 

Rico Henry

In a recent post match interview it was suggested that Rico had done well in making the transition to the Prem. TF's response was less than fulsome - something like he's done ok but there's a lot more in there. Maybe the experts see something we don't?
Should be playing for England.
 

Rico Henry

I'm Rico's biggest fan. But he does need to improve going forward - in particular I think he needs more belief in himself. When driving forward with the ball, he almost always stops and passes sideways or back. He needs to take people on and/or get a cross in.
 

Rico Henry

I'm Rico's biggest fan. But he does need to improve going forward - in particular I think he needs more belief in himself. When driving forward with the ball, he almost always stops and passes sideways or back. He needs to take people on and/or get a cross in.
I agree and I love him. I do think this is partly to do with xG type stuff sometimes. A bit like Man City, goes back and forth across the area until opening instead of a great potential cross like 20 years ago, which has a chance of losing possession. Team instructions rather then his confidence
 

Rico Henry

I’m guessing there are hopes that Chilwell will be fit for the World Cup and maybe Shaw will gain some form if ManU do, then there’s Kyle Walker-Peters, Mitchell and Justin, so no point in trying out others if you’ve got loads of right backs instead!
Chilwell played a part in Chelsea last league game.
 

Rico Henry

I agree and I love him. I do think this is partly to do with xG type stuff sometimes. A bit like Man City, goes back and forth across the area until opening instead of a great potential cross like 20 years ago, which has a chance of losing possession. Team instructions rather then his confidence
Could be that somewhat. I'm a big believer in xG and xA. But the way Rico drives forward, then turns back, especially when it's a 1 on 1, tells me more often than not it's that he doesn't have confidence in himself.
 

Rico Henry

I've never been keen on Southgate as a player and less keen as a manager.
Say's all the right things and is the blue eyed boy of the F.A. I think his luck
will run out soon as his style of play leaves a lot to be desired.
I,m always wary of managers, coaches whose first aim is not to lose.
Yeah. A World Cup semi final and a Euro final from a nation who’s last comparable achievements were some 30 and 50 odd years ago shows that he’s clueless!
 

Rico Henry

He will have to improve his output this coming season to have any chance of making the WC squad - not seen any better defensively but not quite at the required level offensively at the moment to challenge Chilwell or Shaw if he is on form.
 

Rico Henry

I'm Rico's biggest fan. But he does need to improve going forward - in particular I think he needs more belief in himself. When driving forward with the ball, he almost always stops and passes sideways or back. He needs to take people on and/or get a cross in.
Ball retention is key unless there is a clear opportunity to drive forward, which I think he does well.
 

Rico Henry


Darren Bent has said he would be a good back up to Tierney. I think he will become a better player than Tierney in the future.
I think Tierney is possibly the best crosser on the run in the English game, along with James, which is the one area that I think Rico falls down on.

Having said that, the comment about Rico is slightly crap: "Rico Henry, every time he plays for Arsenal, he’s seven out of ten."
 
Back
Top Bottom