Rico Henry

Rico Henry

A couple of years ago when Shaw was seeing a girl down south he would stay at the Goodwood hotel. My youngest worked there and on occasion covered the room service.
He delivered 2 extra size burgers, 2 extra size fries, lashing of ketchup, plus 2 pints of coke and two triple ice creams.
Shaw was the only person in that room that night. No visitors. Plates all clean in the morning

= fatty just like me except I am not a high paid professional football player than needs to be at the peak of fitness for every game
 

Rico Henry

don't diss 'sir' gareth of southgate on ANY thread, as he is 'evidently' a top coach and former player

how is it his fault for thinking ric o'henry is only eligible for ireland?
 

Rico Henry

Ten Hag gambled and blooded a quite raw LB form Feyenoord over Shaw in what felt like a defining period of his short tenure.

Someone who has managed Ajax for 5 yrs worked out in under 2 games of football what Southgate seemingly can't digest.

Rico and a few others deserve better than this imho.
 

Rico Henry

For me rico is top top quality and should be in that squad he’s quick good at defending can cross and can score what’s he gotta do to get in ffs ?‍♂️

100% agree but right or wrong it looks like Southgate has his WC squad selected with the last place probably between Ivan and Marcus Rashford barring injuries.

I think Rico will get his chance after the WC as the England squad finish their current cycle.
 

Rico Henry

We all know how good Rico is. Give it more time and surely he’ll get the call up. Because he plays for us he’ll get overlooked at the moment. I’ve got into many heated discussions with non Brentford fans about how good Rico is for what he does. Much rather Henry over Shaw or Chilwell and that’s not even being biased
 

Rico Henry

He’s the same age as Chilwell

Yes but he has played PL for one season, just into his second. I think Rico is good enough for the squad now but it's probably too late for Southgate to make too many changes to a squad already selected in his head. Post WC is a different time and I think Rico will get into the squad then.
 

Rico Henry

Southgate said numerous times that players wouldn't be chosen unless they were picked regularly by their club and performing well. Maguire and Shaw have no real prospect, barring injury, of getting back in United team. Therefore Southgate has not only shown his words mean nothing but he's seriously undermining England's World Cup chances. I can see a repeat of the Hungary humiliation in Qatar. Toney's inclusion is welcome, if overdue. Rico is entitled to be fuming. Best English left back by a distance. Chilwell is good going forward but not a great defender, otherwise Chelsea wouldn't have forked out double what he's worth for Cucarella.
 

Rico Henry

Yes but he has played PL for one season, just into his second. I think Rico is good enough for the squad now but it's probably too late for Southgate to make too many changes to a squad already selected in his head. Post WC is a different time and I think Rico will get into the squad then.
If the squad was already selected in his head he should have unselected it after the shambles of England's summer matches. I'd fancy Brentford's front three to make mincemeat of England's backline, and I'm not even exaggerating, so imagine what the world's elite forwards will do
 

Rico Henry

If the squad was already selected in his head he should have unselected it after the shambles of England's summer matches. I'd fancy Brentford's front three to make mincemeat of England's backline, and I'm not even exaggerating, so imagine what the world's elite forwards will do

I'm not an England fan but I'd agree with you. As a football fan it's clear Southgate has his squad pretty much picked. I guess his argument would be, he was close to winning a major championship over the last two tournaments so he hasn't got a lot wrong in a few years. I do think Rico is England's best left back though and should already be called up, but won't be now for the WC.
 

Rico Henry

If the squad was already selected in his head he should have unselected it after the shambles of England's summer matches. I'd fancy Brentford's front three to make mincemeat of England's backline, and I'm not even exaggerating, so imagine what the world's elite forwards will do
We already made mincemeat of a back four including Maguire and Shaw this season!
 

Rico Henry

Chilwell I understand. Shaw I do not. Whichever way you look at it Rico is one of the standout attacking fullbacks in the PL now. The only other good English ones play on the right hand side. I think Southgate will wake up to him when the big money offers come in for Rico from the Big 6 at the end of the season (if not before). For what it's worth I think Rico's reputation (along with a few others) may grow by not being associated with England at the upcoming World Cup.
 

Rico Henry

Chilwell I understand. Shaw I do not. Whichever way you look at it Rico is one of the standout attacking fullbacks in the PL now. The only other good English ones play on the right hand side. I think Southgate will wake up to him when the big money offers come in for Rico from the Big 6 at the end of the season (if not before). For what it's worth I think Rico's reputation (along with a few others) may grow by not being associated with England at the upcoming World Cup.
You have a point, I fear this WC will be shambolic. The grounds will all look fantastic but it’s like a plastic, surreal, theme park that reminds me of West World.
I hope I’m wrong but maybe it needs to fail for it to go back to sensible numbers of teams playing in a football loving country that lifts the nation and makes for a special life changing event.
 

Rico Henry

He's got to a World Cup semi final and European Championship final, I hope he gets found out to the same level again.
Both were the easiest most favorable run ins, from my memory there weren't any real quality teams we played. Even Italy laughed why he took declan Rice off which changed the game.
 

Rico Henry

Chilwell I understand. Shaw I do not. Whichever way you look at it Rico is one of the standout attacking fullbacks in the PL now. The only other good English ones play on the right hand side. I think Southgate will wake up to him when the big money offers come in for Rico from the Big 6 at the end of the season (if not before). For what it's worth I think Rico's reputation (along with a few others) may grow by not being associated with England at the upcoming World Cup.
Agreed. Under the radar . The Brentford way. We grow and build whilst the rest of the world fiddles.
 

Rico Henry

If there had been as much media noise about selecting Rico as there had been about selecting Ivan, then Rico would be in.
No doubt in my mind.
Southgate is weak and predictable.
I understand that Shaw has done well for GS in the past and was excellent in the Euros, but dont tell me on recent form he has out played Rico. I dont really think its down to Ricos crossing, its just GS being weak.
 

Rico Henry

I understand that Shaw has done well for GS in the past and was excellent in the Euros, but dont tell me on recent form he has out played Rico
Shaw has played 135 league minutes this season. During that time Man Utd conceded 6 and lost both games.

His only other minutes this season were the 20 he got last night against the Moldovan Super Liga Champions.

But I’m sure Southgate has picked him on form.
 

Rico Henry

Isn't there usually a press conference for these squad announcements? I'm quite surprised that there wasn't a question along the lines of "Shaw?! Don't we have some other options? Like Henry etc etc..."
 

Rico Henry

Isn't there usually a press conference for these squad announcements? I'm quite surprised that there wasn't a question along the lines of "Shaw?! Don't we have some other options? Like Henry etc etc..."
Yes, but didn't happen out of respect to the queen's passing
 

Rico Henry

Surly Rico should have been picked for this squad so GS could take a closer look at him, it makes no sense, Rico has been outstanding taken the premiership like a duck takes to water.GS hang your head in shame.
 

Rico Henry

If Southgate really believes that at this moment in time Shaw is a better left back than Rico he seriously needs to give his head a wobble.
Interestingly TF has said Rico needs more consistency and to get his 6-7/10 performances up to 8-9/10 more regularly. Rico’s better than Shaw on current form but there’s no point in him being called up once and then being thought not up to it. Better he does as TF says and Toney has done and get to a consistently high level so once he’s in he stays in (as I hope Ivan does).
 

Rico Henry

It can only be his ability with the ball at his feet that can be preventing him from a call up.
Perhaps his first touch could be more certain, more often.
Defensively he seems way in front of Chilwell and Shaw ?
 

Rico Henry

Chilwell/Rico seems like a natural attacking/defending combination depending on the situation. I have no idea why Shaw is considered beyond ‘experience’
 

Rico Henry

Interestingly TF has said Rico needs more consistency and to get his 6-7/10 performances up to 8-9/10 more regularly. Rico’s better than Shaw on current form but there’s no point in him being called up once and then being thought not up to it. Better he does as TF says and Toney has done and get to a consistently high level so once he’s in he stays in (as I hope Ivan does).
I would like to know which other player get's 8-9/10 performances in our team consistently; I would say probably none in fact Rico has been the most consistent player we have since joining us. I also question this 6-7/10 performance that I would more inclined to say 7-8/10 for his consistency.
 

Rico Henry

I would like to know which other player get's 8-9/10 performances in our team consistently; I would say probably none in fact Rico has been the most consistent player we have since joining us. I also question this 6-7/10 performance that I would more inclined to say 7-8/10 for his consistency.
Well that’s what TF said and I would expect it’s on the basis of his knowledge and belief that Rico has the potential to be a far better player than we’ve even seen so far. Much as he said about Ivan’s potential still being higher than we’ve seen. It wasn’t a slight but an indication that a player we think is already one of the best LBs in the PL could step up another level to be not just an England player but a world class one. He’s already far, far better a player than he was when we won promotion and then he was well above the levels he showed when he first started for us. Scarily exciting and I hope he reaches those heights while still a Bee.
 

Rico Henry

In terms of pure defensive left back ability (ie hard to beat) I don't think there's anyone better. Understandable that a team that is expected to win most matches want more attacking qualities but to win the world cup England will need to hold out against better teams than us. I can't really say any of our current English defence are world class defenders and give me the confidence I have when watching Rico defend. The past injuries he's suffered benefitted us in terms of keeping him but disrupted his pathway to the national team via U19s U21s. A mistake to ignore him and his chance for England must come.
 

Rico Henry

I would like to know which other player get's 8-9/10 performances in our team consistently; I would say probably none in fact Rico has been the most consistent player we have since joining us. I also question this 6-7/10 performance that I would more inclined to say 7-8/10 for his consistency.
In today’s press conference, Thomas states he wants more 7-8/10 performances from Rico.
He also said Rico’s performance at Palace was ‘just wow’ ?❤️
 

Rico Henry

In today’s press conference, Thomas states he wants more 7-8/10 performances from Rico.
He also said Rico’s performance at Palace was ‘just wow’ ?❤️
I read that also. I can only think of United away last year where he was below a 7.
 

Rico Henry

Sad to say Saka gave him the run around today. Love him to bits but this afternoon was as bad a time as I’ve seen him have for ages
 

Rico Henry

Sad to say Saka gave him the run around today. Love him to bits but this afternoon was as bad a time as I’ve seen him have for ages
Not at his best today, but had to do an immense amount of work up and down, and still involved in a lot of our most threatening positions. 2 alone in the first 10 minutes......
 

Rico Henry

As Frank said, needs more 7/8s out of 10. Def more of a 6 today as he really struggled with Saka and didn’t get forward enough.
 

Rico Henry

A lot of players would struggle with Saka at the moment though so no great shame there, but it feels to me like Frank’s point was that to win Southgate over he’s going to need to put in consistently ‘top, top’ performances. Shame really as I think he’s generally been one of our most consistent players this season and fully deserves a call up. Today was a tough one for him but he’ll back with a 7/8 next game for sure..
 

Rico Henry

Sad to say Saka gave him the run around today. Love him to bits but this afternoon was as bad a time as I’ve seen him have for ages
I don’t see how….others on this website have said that Jesus is quality and the rest of the attack is not up too much (btw - Saka = England international and 1 goal and 4 assists this season) ?
 

Rico Henry

Hope Rico coming off towards the end was just precautionary.......?

Was immense again last night!!!!

With current crop of injuries to other LBs, chances for WC being talked up on Talksport last night.....
Although they did come to the conclusion that Southgate would, once again, opt for playing a RB ((Trippier....) there instead....
 
Back
Top Bottom