Rico Henry

Rico Henry

Rico is a great defender - one of the best in his best form - but with England wanting to be one of the best in the world and dominate teams, they were more interested in a great attacker.
A great defender and a key player in our tactical play when breaking out of defence. There’s few sides, including England, that would use those tactics, though, especially if their style of play is to dominate the opposition.
 

Rico Henry

Hopefully it won’t be long before we are extending his current deal, although if he hits the form he did previously, we might just struggle to keep hold of him.
 

Rico Henry

Controversial opinion warning……!!! I think that the level we are aspiring to be at may just be a step too far for Rico.
I love the guy a fantastic servant to the club and still a force to be reckoned with but even at his very best I don’t think he offers us the options and threat that the modern game demands of a full back .
His ability on the ball is just not at the level of what Hickey , Kayode or KLP offer and he’s always been quite predictable going forwards, the threat posed by KLP and Schade down the left last season was one of our key ways of breaking down the opposition and meant the threat came from both flanks.
The offensive shortcomings of his game has to be balanced of course with how good he is defensively and how quick he clearly still is so he definitely has a role to play but I think our first choice back four ends up as Kayode , SVDB , Collins and Hickey at LB .
We shall see !!
Not sure about that. Don’t think I’m in the minority either…
 

Rico Henry

Rico is a great defender - one of the best in his best form - but with England wanting to be one of the best in the world and dominate teams, they were more interested in a great attacker.
And the irony is, that under Southgate, we were ultra cautious and the first thought was, we must not lose.
 

Rico Henry

I
According to whom?

I seem to recall a large number of other left-backs and out-of-position players selected for that role even whilst Henry was fit and in from.

I think Henry is great, and at his best he put in some elite performances for us. But at a certain level a higher technical ability than he possesses is expected from players - all across the pitch. So I’m not sure how close he was to an England call up or a “big” move away, even when on top form.
I think just by the fact he's left footed left back he's under consideration by default !
 

Rico Henry

Rico Henry

Apparently be tapped up by the wally with the brolly to play for Jamaica
 

Rico Henry

Rico is a great defender - one of the best in his best form - but with England wanting to be one of the best in the world and dominate teams, they were more interested in a great attacker.
Yes indeed. I spoke with Southgate re him and he said that Rico doesn't offer enough going forwards and that he was happy with the two he had (the Chelsea and Man United left backs iirc). I think it is difficult to disagree with him on that matter. We were pushing that he was the best 1 on 1 defender in the land but he wasn't interested.
 

Rico Henry

I’m sorry, but I’m concerned about Rico based on that today. Let’s see but I thought he really struggled.
 

Rico Henry

He tried hard, but in a team that tries to play from the back and keep the ball more, I'm not sure he offers quite enough as first choice now. Of course, he's still getting back to full sharpness, but I've seen nothing from Henry today or in preseason that's better than last year's KLP.

I don't think he can be blamed too much for the 2nd goal though - Gibbs-White's turn and instant cross meant he had no time to get in the right position.
 

Rico Henry

He tried hard, but in a team that tries to play from the back and keep the ball more, I'm not sure he offers quite enough as first choice now. Of course, he's still getting back to full sharpness, but I've seen nothing from Henry today or in preseason that's better than last year's KLP.

I don't think he can be blamed too much for the 2nd goal though - Gibbs-White's turn and instant cross meant he had no time to get in the right position.
Not much game time to be making judgements for me. I’ll reserve thoughts for much later in the year.
 

Rico Henry

It was really nice to see him back in the pitch, and was my MotM, although the bar was quite low due to overall depressing team performance.
But I don't think he will end this year as a starter, it's a matter of time until Hickey gets ahead of him. Last year something similar happened to Pinnock with the emergence of SvdB, this year might be Rico's turn
 

Rico Henry

I thought he got caught out of position a couple of times today but physically, that's the first time I've thought he actually might be back. Everyone's been happy to see him playing each time he's come on since the injury but he always looked like he was running in sand compared to the Rico of a couple of years ago. A few times today he put on the burners to catch or get past a player, really good to see. Maybe he'll hold onto his place after all.
 

Rico Henry

He's looking closer to his old self physically - there were a couple of occasions when he demonstrated that the afterburners are still in working order - but his touch and final delivery are really off. I'm not sure whether that's sheer rustiness or we've just become used to higher standards across the team in his absence. For me KLP should be ahead of him at the moment for the additional attacking threat it gives us, and possibly Hickey when he's up to playing 90 minutes.
 

Rico Henry

He’s not good enough with the ball.
He was before his injury when he was close to an England call up though? Every player was playing rubbish passes today and losing it, look at their third goal for example. We had zero options for the man on the ball.

He created the most dangerous moments in the game for us today.
 

Rico Henry

He was before his injury when he was close to an England call up though? Every player was playing rubbish passes today and losing it, look at their third goal for example. We had zero options for the man on the ball.

He created the most dangerous moments in the game for us today.
He was never great on the ball, this is not a post-injury thing.

However since he’s been injured and out of the team, our playing style has evolved and is less low-block, direct and counter-attack. We are now more reliant on good technical players across the team. His limitations stand out.

He wasn’t ever, IMO, close to an England call up. For similar reasons.
 

Rico Henry

He was never great on the ball, this is not a post-injury thing.

However since he’s been injured and out of the team, our playing style has evolved and is less low-block, direct and counter-attack. We are now more reliant on good technical players across the team. His limitations stand out.

He wasn’t ever, IMO, close to an England call up. For similar reasons.
Can't judge him (or anyone else) on today imo. You can't expect someone recently back from injury to run the whole line on his own. For now, I'm pleased he nearly lasted the whole game. Not saying you're wrong btw.
 

Rico Henry

He was never great on the ball, this is not a post-injury thing.

However since he’s been injured and out of the team, our playing style has evolved and is less low-block, direct and counter-attack. We are now more reliant on good technical players across the team. His limitations stand out.

He wasn’t ever, IMO, close to an England call up. For similar reasons.
He is not limited at all and has been one of our best players when fully at it, he was also always our best attacking counter attack threat going forwards.

Everyone was not at it today, Hickey came on and lost the ball twice and got booked for one of his recovery runs after losing it. KLP was abysmal on the ball today, lost it constantly and his one cross went over the penalty box and out for a throw in.

Henry is by some distance our best LB when it comes to defending and getting energy up the pitch.
 

Rico Henry

He is not limited at all and has been one of our best players when fully at it, he was also always our best attacking counter attack threat going forwards.

Everyone was not at it today, Hickey came on and lost the ball twice and got booked for one of his recovery runs after losing it. KLP was abysmal on the ball today, lost it constantly and his one cross went over the penalty box and out for a throw in.

Henry is by some distance our best LB when it comes to defending and getting energy up the pitch.
Henry WAS by some distance our best LB.

Like others above, i'm not convinced. I see he's lost pace and in some weird way, KLP gave us something very different in that position.

Also like others, i'll hold my tongue and give him a number of games before giving a real verdict.
 

Rico Henry

He was never great on the ball, this is not a post-injury thing.

However since he’s been injured and out of the team, our playing style has evolved and is less low-block, direct and counter-attack. We are now more reliant on good technical players across the team. His limitations stand out.

He wasn’t ever, IMO, close to an England call up. For similar reasons.
He was close to a England call up ...
 

Rico Henry

Other players are ‘limited’ as they don’t have his pace or aggression when defending one on one, his burst of pace created the two best chances when he had zero support from anyone. I’d rather a LB have pace and energy than look pretty dribbling. Arsenal played a CB who is solid at Old Trafford but not silky on the ball over Skelly.

Digging out Rico in a performance where he was one of the few who showed energy and aggression is odd, every player on the pitch was awful on the ball.

KLP got yanked off last year at Forest as he was getting destroyed, something that wouldn’t happen to Rico.
 

Rico Henry

Other players are ‘limited’ as they don’t have his pace or aggression when defending one on one, his burst of pace created the two best chances when he had zero support from anyone. I’d rather a LB have pace and energy than look pretty dribbling. Arsenal played a CB who is solid at Old Trafford but not silky on the ball over Skelly.

Digging out Rico in a performance where he was one of the few who showed energy and aggression is odd, every player on the pitch was awful on the ball.

KLP got yanked off last year at Forest as he was getting destroyed, something that wouldn’t happen to Rico.
Well for one at least Kayode matches him for pace in our back line, so not sure you can say that he has something the others don’t.

Ultimately though it’s not about “looking pretty dribbling” it’s about his ability to work in our system. We are not playing a passive, low block, direct, counter-attack style. We need players across the team that can help us play out of a press, retain possession under pressure and help us create chances against sometimes very compact defences. I am sorry but that is not Rico.
 

Rico Henry

I think most players in the country would have been "caught napping" for the second goal.
Wonderful bit of skill by MGW and great anticipation and header bu Ndoye.

I don’t think he was caught napping, I think he defended it perfectly. Collins was the one caught napping that played him onside, Rico got in line hence why matey was the wrong side of him
 
Back
Top Bottom