The H
poker semi-professional
That Oldham flag
if it was from Torquay, would people be thinking about it in the same way?? not sure.
Rocky_Latic said:I've never seen it inside Boundary Park, although the way you lot are bleating on about it. I wouldnt be suprised to see it make a special guest appearance.
Funny how it's only ever the southern clubs who have a problem with it![]()
exactly, and i'm sure there's people in Torquay who are racists.The H said:if it was from Torquay, would people be thinking about it in the same way?? not sure.
Rocky_Latic said:Funny how it's only ever the southern clubs who have a problem with it![]()
It's a thread with a majority of your fans saying it only had a hidden agenda behind it. Ignoring the Oldham bit or the England flag in the bottom right hand corner of it. , Some of your fans are sayingLes Beeavinu said:Do we have a problem with it then? It's a discussion thread and views have been expressed for and against. You seriously expect me to believe that that wouldn't happen on any site? Aren't you in danger of stereotyping?
"negatives - police, stewards and real Oldham fans who allowed that flag to be on show for the majority of the game."
Schools are better down hereRocky_Latic said:Funny how it's only ever the southern clubs who have a problem with it![]()

Which is why I left mine at twelve to work as a coal miner!Wee Dave said:Schools are better down here![]()
Rocky_Latic said:Which is why I left mine at twelve to work as a coal miner!![]()

Rocky_Latic said:It's a thread with a majority of your fans saying it only had a hidden agenda behind it. Ignoring the Oldham bit or the England flag in the bottom right hand corner of it. , Some of your fans are saying
I have never met, or read an Oldham opinion with anything bad to say about the flag.
it's only ever at the games down south that there's a chance of them being asked to take the flag down. Colchester, Thurrock, Brentford etc.
Aye, You'll be moaning how cold Boundary Park is when you come up for the cup gameLes Beeavinu said:you carry on reading what you want to see so that it fits with your "southern softie" stereotype.
Wee Dave said:Nonsense.
It's perfectly possible to hold racist views without thinking that you do. And thus it's perfectly possible to say or do something racist without you thinking that it is.
Rocky_Latic said:Aye, You'll be moaning how cold Boundary Park is when you come up for the cup gamelol
![]()
Rod Gowers said:I didn't find the flag offensive, but I did think it was ignorant.
The reason behind the flag to me was to imply that if you were born in this country, you are by definition more "patriotic" than if you weren't, and by implication a better "Englishman". In my opinion this is complete and utter rubbish, and I also believe an insult to many people living in this country (which I also believe is how it was intended).
Not offensive, no, but very ignorant.
Leicester Bee said:What about the people who wear things that say "Proud to be British"? What about us who are proud to be Brentford? Does that "genuinely" make us any better than any other football fan? Purlease don't give me the rubbish, "yes we are, we are the best fans in the world". We are the same as others. We are different, but what gives us the right to say we are better than others? So do we now way that we are NOT proud to be Brentford? To me, it's the same thing.
I was born in England. I live in England. I fully expect to die in England. Cripes, ban me, I'm being racist. I'm proud to say the above things and I have the right to say it openly as do others. By criticising such people, who do NOT make up the entire Far Right racist community, you push them further to the right.
AB said:Would the people who brought the flag be happy for someone like (for instance) myself or Leicester Bee to stand by the flag and its express wording (which apply equally- or probably will, who can tell where they are going to die?)? I suspect not, and that's why it might be seen as offensive. I couldn't give a monkey's to be honest and found the OAFC staff perfectly friendly when I went to the away game (then again, after fleecing me for £22 why wouldn't they be?).
Patriotism is no sin. Let's reclaim it as our privilege and birthright from the b n p scum.
Greenholme Bee said:Christ, Leicester Bee goes on a bit sometimes but its refreshing to read what he has to say.. Is he offended? No..
Leicester Bee said:You're right, I'm not. I'm more offended by being told that I go on a bit sometimes!
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=covertWee Dave said:Nonsense.
It's perfectly possible to hold racist views without thinking that you do. And thus it's perfectly possible to say or do something racist without you thinking that it is.

markbfc said:It's either racist or it isn't
Wee Dave said:The two points are very different (did you know the history of the word 'nitty-gritty'? It's not very nice).
To make up an extreme example, if some bloke doesn't think it's racist to get angry when his daughter marries a black guy, does that mean that it isn't?
I'm not being moralistic about "racism" - merely saying that if we define it as prejudice against someone because of their race then it's surely perfectly possible for it to exist without the person being aware of it. Everyone has their prejudices.
Wee Dave said:did you know the history of the word 'nitty-gritty'? It's not very nice
oldgreenfordian said:I can't believe the naivety that some of you are displaying.
The slogans on the Oldham flag are covertly expressing racism by mischievously making irrelevant,'patriotic' statements.
If they were to show an overtly racist message,such as 'proud not be to be Asian',they would be bang to rights.Therefore,they express an apparently innocuous and positive sentiment, and challenge the rest of us to a semantic argument.
Finally,to dismiss objections to covert racism as being PC,is a corruption of that expression,and furthermore,shows that you have learned nothing from the history of the effects of racist propaganda.
Good grief.pompeybee said:large "National Front" flag
Are you talking about the stewards chucking out Brentford supporters?pompeybee said:the behaviour of some people at away games (eg Southampton last year) etc .
pompeybee said:More elegantly put than I could have done. I'm a bit late to this one as the first thing I did when I got home on Saturday was not to post on here but to send an e-mail to the club as follows:
"It was good to see that there was at least some attempt to deal with the large "National Front" flag which some Oldham fans brought to the game today. The slogans on it made it clearly something different from the usual St George's flags.
However, why did it take until half time? Why were they allowed to have it back and get it out again?
Is dealing with this stuff the responsibility of the stewards or the police? (I saw that both were involved.) Don't they have powers to confiscate things like this and/or to eject those responsible for them? Is this really any different to racist chanting, which I thought was an offence?
I suppose it's hardly a surprise that some Oldham fans are involved with far right groups, given that Oldham is known to be a centre of NF activity. So you would have thought the police/stewards would have been prepared and could have dealt with it promptly. I don't suppose it's the first time it's been displayed.
Any chance of BFC expressing their concern to Oldham, just to show that 'Kick Racism out of Football' isn't just about wearing a t-shirt at a game once a season. If Brentford can't do it, given the ethnic mix in the club's catchment area and the number of black players on the team, who will?"
I've had an acknowledgement from Peter Gilham and look forward to a reply from Mr Hill.
I'd never thought that I'd be in such a minority on this, and frankly that leaves me a bit worried. My wife who was at the game with me (yeah, I'm a leftie and I bring my wife to the football) couldn't believe what she was seeing. Nine times out of ten we can go to games and see none of this unreconstructed 70s nonsense, but when you get things like this, the reaction to any woman match official, the behaviour of some people at away games (eg Southampton last year) etc it really makes you wonder.

I bet he's devastatedDangerous said:Please support another team I am so embarrassed that Brentford have supporters like you?
Dangerous said:Please support another team I am so embarrassed that Brentford have supporters like you?.Pompey is not to far away from you.
I am defo going to get a flag with that slogan on and if I am accused of Racism I will fight you in court and on the beeches if necessary.![]()
markbfc said:http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=covert
[em]adj 1: secret or hidden; not openly practiced or engaged in or shown or avowed; "covert actions by the CIA"; "covert funding for the rebels"[/em]
Thiat is what covert means. Please take note. What you are referring to is "ignorance".
I'm sick of this thread and am seriously considering getting a flag made so as AB says, we can reclaim the cross of St.George. We're not going to take it from the Nazis, but from idiotic left-wingers who think any form of patrotism surrounding England must be stamped on. It will displayed in the paddock and woe betide anyone trying to take it down.
What is the world coming too? Celebrate St.Patrick's day until you are blue in the face but don't even think about doing the same for St.George.![]()
pompeybee said:More elegantly put than I could have done. I'm a bit late to this one as the first thing I did when I got home on Saturday was not to post on here but to send an e-mail to the club as follows:
"It was good to see that there was at least some attempt to deal with the large "National Front" flag which some Oldham fans brought to the game today. The slogans on it made it clearly something different from the usual St George's flags.
However, why did it take until half time? Why were they allowed to have it back and get it out again?
Is dealing with this stuff the responsibility of the stewards or the police? (I saw that both were involved.) Don't they have powers to confiscate things like this and/or to eject those responsible for them? Is this really any different to racist chanting, which I thought was an offence?
I suppose it's hardly a surprise that some Oldham fans are involved with far right groups, given that Oldham is known to be a centre of NF activity. So you would have thought the police/stewards would have been prepared and could have dealt with it promptly. I don't suppose it's the first time it's been displayed.
Any chance of BFC expressing their concern to Oldham, just to show that 'Kick Racism out of Football' isn't just about wearing a t-shirt at a game once a season. If Brentford can't do it, given the ethnic mix in the club's catchment area and the number of black players on the team, who will?"
I've had an acknowledgement from Peter Gilham and look forward to a reply from Mr Hill.
I'd never thought that I'd be in such a minority on this, and frankly that leaves me a bit worried. My wife who was at the game with me (yeah, I'm a leftie and I bring my wife to the football) couldn't believe what she was seeing. Nine times out of ten we can go to games and see none of this unreconstructed 70s nonsense, but when you get things like this, the reaction to any woman match official, the behaviour of some people at away games (eg Southampton last year) etc it really makes you wonder.
pompeybee said:More elegantly put than I could have done. I'm a bit late to this one as the first thing I did when I got home on Saturday was not to post on here but to send an e-mail to the club as follows:
"It was good to see that there was at least some attempt to deal with the large "National Front" flag which some Oldham fans brought to the game today. The slogans on it made it clearly something different from the usual St George's flags.
However, why did it take until half time? Why were they allowed to have it back and get it out again?
Is dealing with this stuff the responsibility of the stewards or the police? (I saw that both were involved.) Don't they have powers to confiscate things like this and/or to eject those responsible for them? Is this really any different to racist chanting, which I thought was an offence?
I suppose it's hardly a surprise that some Oldham fans are involved with far right groups, given that Oldham is known to be a centre of NF activity. So you would have thought the police/stewards would have been prepared and could have dealt with it promptly. I don't suppose it's the first time it's been displayed.
Any chance of BFC expressing their concern to Oldham, just to show that 'Kick Racism out of Football' isn't just about wearing a t-shirt at a game once a season. If Brentford can't do it, given the ethnic mix in the club's catchment area and the number of black players on the team, who will?"
I've had an acknowledgement from Peter Gilham and look forward to a reply from Mr Hill.
I'd never thought that I'd be in such a minority on this, and frankly that leaves me a bit worried. My wife who was at the game with me (yeah, I'm a leftie and I bring my wife to the football) couldn't believe what she was seeing. Nine times out of ten we can go to games and see none of this unreconstructed 70s nonsense, but when you get things like this, the reaction to any woman match official, the behaviour of some people at away games (eg Southampton last year) etc it really makes you wonder.
I take it you're a left-wing idiot then. Well, if the cap fits...alexinho said:You really embarassed yourself with that post too. Nobody is trying to stamp out patriotism. People disagreed with the slogan on the flag. Nobody has said the flag itself without the slogan was unacceptable.


markbfc said:I saw on a train this morning an advert for Fulham's Xmas home game. One of the bullet points as part of a rhyme was:
"11 whites a winning"
Anyone find that offensive.![]()
An advert for Fulham? I find that extremely offensive!markbfc said:I saw on a train this morning an advert for Fulham's Xmas home games. One of the bullet points as part of a rhyme was:
"11 whites a winning"
Anyone find that offensive.![]()
markbfc said:I take it you're a left-wing idiot then. Well, if the cap fits...![]()

Correct.alexinho said:regardless of whether you think that it makes me an idiot, and equally I am sure that you are not of lower than average intelligence.

:yes:The H said:ah no mention of Oldham or a flag for 10 posts.. shall i split the thread into chit chat now :banana:![]()
markbfc said:I saw on a train this morning an advert for Fulham's Xmas home games. One of the bullet points as part of a rhyme was:
"11 whites a winning"
Anyone find that offensive.![]()
alexinho said:Can I thereby taking it that you are a drooling right wing Sun-reader with a lower than average IQ?
Let's not get into tedious stereotyping of each other's possible political views - we disagree, it's not the end of the world. There is nothing innately left wing about what I have posted to you, regardless of whether you think that it makes me an idiot, and equally I am sure that you are not of lower than average intelligence.

I've been rumbled.good minton said:hahahahaha he is of lower than average intelligence. Do you see that, by posting the above, you have made a fool of yourself. lol lol lol![]()
markbfc said:http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=covert
What is the world coming too? Celebrate St.Patrick's day until you are blue in the face but don't even think about doing the same for St.George.![]()