Marcel Eger

Marcel Eger

Thanks for taking the time to post that Astro - it sounds like Eger, as a man as much as a footballer, fitted perfectly into the whole St Pauli ethos - lower division English football might be something of a culture shock for him :D

I must make it to Millerntor one day. I got as far as trying unsuccessfully to peer over the fences once but no further.
 

Marcel Eger

Thanks for popping in Astro. Yeah, I was going to add anyway - I forgot to put it in - about how he clearly buys into the whole community-and-social issues focus of St Pauli, which is indeed of course a significant part of what St Pauli is all about, exactly as Garybaldbee sums up.

I've never met him but I get the impression of a pretty nice guy, whom I'm assuming will fit in pretty well with his new teammates. Also of course, while it perhaps doesn't go as far as St Pauli's, if ever there was a club in England with a decent local community base and orientation, it's Brentford, so I'd like to think there's something here that he can relate to off the pitch.

In terms of culture shock, yeah, I'm sure it will be to an extent. In terms of what playing in front of St Pauli's fans is like, think: away Carling Cup at Birmingham last season. Every game.

See you back at the other place, Astro ;)
 

Marcel Eger

What a fantastic club Sankt Pauli seem to be. great clips on YouTube of their ultras singing 'we love you'.
 

Marcel Eger

Thanks for popping in Astro. Yeah, I was going to add anyway - I forgot to put it in - about how he clearly buys into the whole community-and-social issues focus of St Pauli, which is indeed of course a significant part of what St Pauli is all about, exactly as Garybaldbee sums up.

I've never met him but I get the impression of a pretty nice guy, whom I'm assuming will fit in pretty well with his new teammates. Also of course, while it perhaps doesn't go as far as St Pauli's, if ever there was a club in England with a decent local community base and orientation, it's Brentford, so I'd like to think there's something here that he can relate to off the pitch.

In terms of culture shock, yeah, I'm sure it will be to an extent. In terms of what playing in front of St Pauli's fans is like, think: away Carling Cup at Birmingham last season. Every game.

See you back at the other place, Astro ;)

Sounds like Marcel is ready made for a stint at the GPLZ and CST during his footie off periods...
 

Marcel Eger

sounds like he might well be the leader - DER KAISER that we have been waiting for
 

Marcel Eger

I've never met him but I get the impression of a pretty nice guy, whom I'm assuming will fit in pretty well with his new teammates. Also of course, while it perhaps doesn't go as far as St Pauli's, if ever there was a club in England with a decent local community base and orientation, it's Brentford, so I'd like to think there's something here that he can relate to off the pitch.

Sounds like a good match, let's hope he'll get a decent start on the pitch. Give him some time to settle in and he should become a good addition. Talked to him a couple of days before he signed and he was looking forward to England a lot. Regarding his English skills: I dunno how good it is but every German of his generation has some basic knowledge because of school, English lyrics, advertisement etc. so once he's there he'll improve quickly as he's got a basis to build on.

As someone mentioned videos of St.Pauli: this is a video of the farewell match of Eger and Lechner, both with the club for 7 years and not treated the best by the officials when it was time to say good bye for both, so they got that game organised independently by friends and supporters. What was planned as a small thing among friends attracted more than 5000 people and raised more than 20,000 Euro that were donated to some good causes. Some nice flares there as well. ;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tSCEf93DUA
 
Last edited:

Marcel Eger

Sounds like a good match, let's hope he'll get a decent start on the pitch. Give him some time to settle in and he should become a good addition. Talked to him a couple of days before he signed and he was looking forward to England a lot. Regarding his English skills: I dunno how good it is but every German of his generation has some basic knowledge because of school, English lyrics, advertisement etc. so once he's there he'll improve quickly as he's got a basis to build on.

As someone mentioned videos of St.Pauli: this is a video of the farewell match of Eger and Lechner, both with the club for 7 years and not treated the best by the officials when it was time to say good bye for both, so they got that game organised independently by friends and supporters. What was planned as a small thing among friends attracted more than 5000 people and raised more than 20,000 Euro that were donated to some good causes. Some nice flares there as well. ;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tSCEf93DUA

Excellent stuff. Looks like a friendly would be a lot of fun.
 

Marcel Eger

My head office is in Hamburg and St Pauli are a massive club. They were very much the working middle class Germans team and they have a huge support from around the country. Speaking with a couple of colleagues they were sad to see him leave and rate him.

Hoepfully he is the leader we have needed since Evans left. Being made Captain as you have been at the club longest does'nt make you make a good captain and I am glad that we have now realised this. :sorted:
 

Marcel Eger

on paper this is a good signing! also he can supply the music for matchdays, the team can come running out to the beat of a drum!!!
 

Marcel Eger

I wonder if he could fill the sweeper role in front of the back 4 if Rosler wants to play 4-1-3-2?
 

Marcel Eger

I was really pleased when I read that Marcel Eger found a decent club to continue his career in England. Looking forward to see how things develop. Brentford FC definitely has some more attention from people in Hamburg now.

Are tickets at Griffin Park available at match day or more difficult to get? I found information about stands, prices etc. on my own, but not how it really works.
 

Marcel Eger

At the start of the season you'll be able to pay at the gate. From about February onwards all the games will be all ticket as we push on to the league championship and the cup final.

But seriously ... it's pay at the gate unless the ticket page on the website says otherwise - biggest games only.
 

Marcel Eger

no most games you can rock up and pay on the gate possible exception maybe sheff utd at home but thats probay about it
 

Marcel Eger

no most games you can rock up and pay on the gate possible exception maybe sheff utd at home but thats probay about it

Also probably (is the word meant) Sheffield Wednesday, last home game of regular season, if either team are in/around the top 6.
 

Marcel Eger

Thank you, glad to hear that tickets for most games are available.
I'm in London from time to time (for work), but mostly on short notice.
 

Marcel Eger

Thank you, glad to hear that tickets for most games are available.
I'm in London from time to time (for work), but mostly on short notice.

Millerntor - you can start the 'we love you' song at our own Kurve, the Ealing Road end. Some really good footage of your ultras singing this
on youtube. St Pauli hadn't really crossed my radar till Egi joined us. I like what I see about the club and its fans.
 

Marcel Eger

Millerntor - you can start the 'we love you' song at our own Kurve, the Ealing Road end. Some really good footage of your ultras singing this
on youtube. St Pauli hadn't really crossed my radar till Egi joined us. I like what I see about the club and its fans.

If that's the song that Palace, Stevenage, etc sing PLEASE DON'T!!!
 

Marcel Eger

Little article in the chron about him - his girlfriend is over here and he met Uwe for talks and was impressed with the ambition of club and Uwe.
 

Marcel Eger

Or is it more that he wants to be with his girlfriend, in London, and that no other club in London wanted him. Not doubting the persuasion or ambition of Uwe, and this club, just that it seemed in the article that he made his mind up because his girlfriend lives here and wants to be closer, not for footballing reasons...
 

Marcel Eger

Or is it more that he wants to be with his girlfriend, in London, and that no other club in London wanted him. Not doubting the persuasion or ambition of Uwe, and this club, just that it seemed in the article that he made his mind up because his girlfriend lives here and wants to be closer, not for footballing reasons...

Give it a rest....
 

Marcel Eger

Or is it more that he wants to be with his girlfriend, in London, and that no other club in London wanted him. Not doubting the persuasion or ambition of Uwe, and this club, just that it seemed in the article that he made his mind up because his girlfriend lives here and wants to be closer, not for footballing reasons...

Clearly you have never spent more than 5 minutes away from your loved ones ?

He's been proven as a good leader in Bundesliga 2 which is Championship standard and is a character so what's there to worry about and we have 3 good defenders anway. Its a massive improvement on what we had a few years ago. If he doesn't perform he'll be on the bench and his previous club wouldn't have had him for 7 years and made him captain if he was crap.
 

Marcel Eger

Often, a major issue with bringing players into BFC is the cost of living in London; this time we have someone who was actually looking for a reason to be here. I don't see a problem with that. Shaleum Logan infers that getting away from the NW was one motivation to join; let's hope it's not the attraction of London night-life, eh? Jonathan Douglas lives down the M4, I guess, so a straightforward commute and no relocation.
 

Marcel Eger

Shaleum Logan infers that getting away from the NW was one motivation to join; let's hope it's not the attraction of London night-life, eh?

He strikes me as a very level headed young man; he has a partner and a baby. Indeed it was dealing with the cost of property in London that was an issue for him and he came to Brentford rather than take the 'cheaper' option of staying in the north west because he deemed it better for his long term career. The last time I spoke with him he was searching for a two bedroomed apartment to the west of the training ground and calculating the journey times from the High Wycombe area. He certainly wasn't googling 'London Night Life'. He made the switch for career reasons and not for the money.
 

Marcel Eger

He strikes me as a very level headed young man; he has a partner and a baby. Indeed it was dealing with the cost of property in London that was an issue for him and he came to Brentford rather than take the 'cheaper' option of staying in the north west because he deemed it better for his long term career. The last time I spoke with him he was searching for a two bedroomed apartment to the west of the training ground and calculating the journey times from the High Wycombe area. He certainly wasn't googling 'London Night Life'. He made the switch for career reasons and not for the money.


could you let him know that property prices in High Wycombe are lower as its a dump ? My niece bought a flat there as it was bigger than the one she could afford in Wokingham . Its a crap flat in a crap area that I wouldnt let a single girl live in if she was my daughter .
 

Marcel Eger

could you let him know that property prices in High Wycombe are lower as its a dump ? My niece bought a flat there as it was bigger than the one she could afford in Wokingham . Its a crap flat in a crap area that I wouldnt let a single girl live in if she was my daughter .

I've just read the post by stoney04 on the Brentford area and which makes High Wycombe sound a positive paradise. :(

For all I know Shaleum Logan is still considering his living accommodation options.........I was just trying to reject any suggestion that one of the attractions of signing for Brentford for him was proximity to the London night life.
 

Marcel Eger

[Shaleum Logan] made the switch for career reasons and not for the money.
Glad to hear it and pleased that he has a family to give him stability. I was half-joking with the night-life reference; there's a couple of take-aways and some dodgy pubs in High Wycombe, though.
 

Marcel Eger

Often, a major issue with bringing players into BFC is the cost of living in London; this time we have someone who was actually looking for a reason to be here. I don't see a problem with that. Shaleum Logan infers that getting away from the NW was one motivation to join; let's hope it's not the attraction of London night-life, eh? Jonathan Douglas lives down the M4, I guess, so a straightforward commute and no relocation.
 

Marcel Eger

I can assure you, That moving South for Shaleum was a decision thought about long and hard. He had options in the NW but was really impressed by UR and his plans for BFC. He is a northern boy born and bred, knows no one down South he is going to find it hard at first as he comes from a large and loving family, once his partner and son move down it will be easier.Im sure after reading everyones posts, that most of the Brentford fans will try to make him feel at home.
 

Marcel Eger

I can assure you, That moving South for Shaleum was a decision thought about long and hard. He had options in the NW but was really impressed by UR and his plans for BFC. He is a northern boy born and bred, knows no one down South he is going to find it hard at first as he comes from a large and loving family, once his partner and son move down it will be easier.Im sure after reading everyones posts, that most of the Brentford fans will try to make him feel at home.

Thanks for that. Clearly a big decision for him and his family. I wish him well and hope that his decision to come to us pays off big style.

If you don't mind me asking, are you a friend or part of his family?
 

Marcel Eger

We need ambitious players at the club, as long as it's tempered with a little patience. The area West of London is not a million miles away from the NW, particularly those with access to the M40, and I'm sure that Shaleum will get a lot of good advice (in addition to that on the GPG!) as we have players who have had spells 'up North', some from other parts of Europe and those who are local. I really hope he becomes a legend.
 

Marcel Eger

He'd be better advised going more towards Maidenhead than High Wycombe though. The prices wouldn't be massively different.
 

Marcel Eger

He strikes me as a very level headed young man; he has a partner and a baby. Indeed it was dealing with the cost of property in London that was an issue for him and he came to Brentford rather than take the 'cheaper' option of staying in the north west because he deemed it better for his long term career. The last time I spoke with him he was searching for a two bedroomed apartment to the west of the training ground and calculating the journey times from the High Wycombe area. He certainly wasn't googling 'London Night Life'. He made the switch for career reasons and not for the money.

Do you have the same 'software' as :banana:?? You can 'spy' on people and see what they are searching for etc etc? :suspect:
 

Marcel Eger

Re accommodation for players, does the club still have flats in the block behind the WENDY House? I'm sure we did at some time unless they were offloaded to reduce the debt.
 

Marcel Eger

Give it a rest....

Give what a rest?

I've not complained once, that sentence suggests that you think I've been complaining all the time.

In fact, I'm not even complaining. I was just pointing out that the article suggested that he was to come to London for his girlfriend, as well as football. What I said was based on this paragraph...

Eger also revealed that he had planned on moving to the UK to be with his girlfriend - but admitted even he was shocked at how quickly it happened.

He added: "My girlfriend lives in London and I had been thinking about coming over and playing in England for a while.

I'm looking forward to the guy, and the others, playing. Just like every season.
I was merely saying that the second part of the article suggests that he was more thinking of being with his girlfriend than what club he played for. Thats all..

And Northwalesbee, not once did I suggest he was crap. I think earlier in this thread I even stated it was a good signing.
I have spent time away from loved ones. I'm not saying I've missed them, or not. I was only stating how I read the article.
 

Marcel Eger

really like his interview on Bees Player right now :sorted:
 

Marcel Eger

Thanks for that. Clearly a big decision for him and his family. I wish him well and hope that his decision to come to us pays off big style.

If you don't mind me asking, are you a friend or part of his family?

I am guessing, from the name (Tooshay) and date of joining, he is very close to Shaleum.

I wish him all the very best for his career at Brentford and life in the south (whever he chooses to reside) and hope he goes on to become a legend with us.
 

Marcel Eger

I think the colourful London arts scene, may well have played its part in attracting Mr Eger over here,. Or should that be Mr Van Gogh...
64701128@N07
 
Back
Top Bottom